Underground Knowledge — A discussion group discussion

ALTERNATIVE THINKING BOOKS > Hitler's Time Machine by Robert F. Dorr

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lance, Group Founder (new)

Lance Morcan | 2797 comments Group member Robert F. Dorr - a former US Air Force veteran, retired Foreign Service officer and renowned non-fiction author of military history books - has recently published the intriguing alternate history novel Hitler's Time Machine.

Robert's recent blog post summarizes the book and the issues concerning time travel literature:

My new novel "Hitler's Time Machine" butts up against the grandfather paradox that's familiar to all who follow this genre. If you could travel back in time to murder your grandfather, you wouldn't exist, so how could you travel back in time? But if you couldn't, your grandfather wouldn't have been murdered, so ...

Yes, it's easy to get a headache.

H. G. Wells, Jack Finney, Dean Koontz, Ray Bradbury and others have lent their skills to the topic of time travel. Each is different from the others. But all must resolve the same question: It's the author's job to be sure the reader knows the author's rules for time travel. And the reader must learn those rules while being entertained by a story, not in a footnote. Each author handles this differently but, once again, it isn't easy.

I picked what I thought was a realistic possibility in "Hitler's Time Machine." I loaded the story with imagined actions by people with familiar names, from Lou Gehrig to Heinrich Himmler. I studied the literature of Die Glocke (the Bell), the legendary device fashioned by Nazi scientists during World War II. I put two scientists on opposite sides in the war -- one, a fictitious young woman, the other a Nazi drawn from the history books -- and had them come together in a climactic scene.

Hitler's Time Machine by Robert F. Dorr

message 2: by Robert (new)

Robert (robertfdorr) | 2 comments I'm thankful to this group for the above post acknowledging my new alternate history, "Hitler's Time Machine."

Writing a "What of?" history about World War II, replete with scientific advances and time travel, was a new experience for me. Reaching out to other who might want to read it in print or for Kindle is a new experience, too.

I would love to hear from anyone who has a reaction to "Hitler's Time Machine" or who has ideas about getting the word out. I'm thankful to everyone connected with books for the opportunity to do this.

message 3: by Lance, Group Founder (new)

Lance Morcan | 2797 comments Robert wrote: "I'm thankful to this group for the above post acknowledging my new alternate history, "Hitler's Time Machine."

Writing a "What of?" history about World War II, replete with scientific advances and..."

Our pleasure Robert. I also welcome the opinions of others in this group. Tis an interesting subject.

message 4: by Stephen (new)

Stephen Martino | 49 comments Another really good book on the topic is The SS Brotherhood of the Bell by Joseph Farrell. Plus, when you look at Die Glocke, it is reminiscent of such ancient flying machines at the Virmanas.

Underground Knowledge — A discussion group

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Hitler's Time Machine (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Robert F. Dorr (other topics)