Historical Mystery Lovers discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
General > New Moderator

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 1664 comments Mod
Hi everyone,

I'm Lauren and I'm a huge fan of historical mysteries. Some of my favorite authors include: Ariana Franklin, Deanna Raybourn, Matthew Pearl, Caleb Carr. I've also just been introduced to C.S. Harris's Sebastian St. Cyr series and I'm hooked.

I know this is a little bit presumptuous as I've just joined the group, but I noticed that the moderator hasn't been active since 2012 and she isn't accepting personal messages.

I was wondering if it would be OK with you all if I petitioned Goodreads to make me a moderator. Once that happens, I can promote anyone else who is interested in helping out.

Hope that's OK and I look forward to chatting with you all.

message 2: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Cox | 221 comments Sounds great! Thanks for taking this on!

message 3: by Lauren (new)

Sure :0)

I'm a bit of an organizer, lol!

message 4: by Chris (new)

Chris (cdavies1951) | 144 comments Thanks, Lauren!

message 5: by Barry (new)

Barry (barryleon) | 14 comments Merci, Madame

message 6: by Veronica (new)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 691 comments Hi Lauren! Sounds good to me!

message 7: by Lauren (new)

Thanks everyone.
I have put in a request to Goodreads and am waiting to hear back from them. Hopefully it will be soon.

message 8: by happy (new)

happy (happyone) | 147 comments go for it!

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 463 comments Good luck, Lauren!

message 10: by Lauren (new)

Thanks Susanna :0)

Still haven't heard back from GR. Hopefully soon.

message 11: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Cox | 221 comments Thanks for the update!

message 12: by Spuddie (new)

Spuddie | 27 comments Mod
Hi Lauren, I just made you a moderator! I created this group a few years ago when I had more time to participate and got an e-mail from GR asking if it was okay to have a new moderator. I'm totally cool with that! I am still on GR, but mostly just use it to track what I'm reading these days...rarely participate in discussions anymore...I have little enough time for reading much less talking about reading! LOL Thanks for doing this! Cheryl

message 13: by Lauren (new)

Thanks so much, Cheryl!

I completely understand how real life can get in the way. Hopefully I'll live up to the vision you wanted for the group and who knows, maybe we can lure you into commenting every now and then :0)

message 14: by Mary (new)

Mary Miley (marymiley) | 2 comments HI Lauren. Thanks for the invitation to re-connect. Historical mysteries are my first choice when it comes to reading for pleasure. And, as it happens, last night, I finished THE PERICLES COMMISSION by Gary Corby. This is Mr. Corby's debut novel, published in 2010 by Minotaur, my own publisher, and the first of 5 in this series. It introduces Nicolaos, a young Athenian who wants to enter politics, who is persuaded by Pericles to figure out who murdered Ephialtes, the man who brought democracy to Athens but who really was murdered in 461 BC. Helping him--sort of--is Diotima, an annoyingly virgin priestess of Artemis. If you like historic mysteries, this should be a winner for you.
Whenever I read a series, I have to start with the first one. I know it isn't always necessary, but I have to. (If that's compulsive, I plead guilty.) Some series, like, say, Nancy Drew, don't have an overarching plot so they really can be read out of order, but nowadays, most series do.

Mary Miley

The Impersonator (Minotaur: 2013)
Silent Murders (Minotaur: 2014)

message 15: by Lauren (new)

Hey Mary
You might want to move your post to the Introductions thread so that others can see it.

message 16: by Portia (new)

Portia | 32 comments Best success, Lauren!

message 17: by Vicki (new)

Vicki (londonderry) | 5 comments Good luck, wish you the best

message 18: by Lauren (new)

Thanks Portia and Vicki :0)

message 19: by Vicki (new)

Vicki (londonderry) | 5 comments Have any of you ever read the India Black series by
Carol Carr. It is about a british Madam who is an
agent for the Prime Minister. They are really period
rich and fun, I do enjoy the books there are four now
and hopefully more.

message 20: by Chris (new)

Chris (cdavies1951) | 144 comments I have India Black on my TBR; it looks pretty good!

message 21: by Vicki (new)

Vicki (londonderry) | 5 comments I highly recommend the India Black series, gives a whole new aspect of Victoria society.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.