Dying To Play (A Mike King Mystery, #1)
This topic is about Dying To Play
Mystery/Whodunnit Discussions > Dying to Play, by Mark Zubro

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Ulysses Dietz | 1608 comments Dying to Play

By Mark Zubro

Four stars

In the vein of two of my favorites, Marshall Thornton and Neil Plakcy, Mark Zubro brings us Mike King, a cool gay private-eye who solves interesting mysteries.

This book is more about the mystery to be solved than the private eye’s private life—although that serves as a savory background note to the story. What matters is not that Mike King is not a romantic kind of guy, but that he wants to be, with a notorious lack of success. By the end of the book, you want him to be, too. While never letting up on his cool, Mike manages to make it clear that he’s a good guy. He’s good with dogs and babies and defends nerds and anyone else oppressed or put down. Ya gotta love him. I sure did.

Mike has a sort of Charlie’s Angels posse who are all gay and all as cool as he is. There’s Jerry, a tough James Bondian stud with an off-screen boyfriend he adores. Then there’s Georgia D’Jungle, the world’s most awesome drag queen who can do anything and be anyone (including Mike King’s lawyer). Finally, there’s the ever-patient and uber-efficient Duncan, who has a boyfriend named Andy and takes care of his boss’s basset hound, Caesar, when the boss is on the road.

On the road this time means Butterfield, Wisconsin, where small-town life means age-old feuds and present-day factions that lead to murder. Hired by a locally-born billionaire who is trying to run a minor-league baseball franchise in his hometown, Mike King is caught up in the Peyton Place stew of rivalries and resentment that rule Butterfield.

Zubro gives us a plot worthy of Miss Marple, and a hero for whom being gay is just another angle he uses to figure out what the hell is going on.

I hope there will be more Mike King books coming soon, because Mr. Zubro is onto something on par with Plakcy’s Kimo Kanapa’aka and Thornton’s Nick Nowak.

message 2: by Jon (new) - added it

Jon (jon_michaelsen) | 187 comments Ulysses wrote: "Dying to Play

By Mark Zubro

Four stars

In the vein of two of my favorites, Marshall Thornton and Neil Plakcy, Mark Zubro brings us Mike King, a cool gay private-eye who solves interesting myste..."

Great review! I'm looking forward to this new series from Zubro; I've greatly enjoyed his Tom & Scott and Paul Turner series for more than 20+ years!!