The County Library discussion

Reading Challenges > 2015 February Reading Challenge

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ann (new)

Ann | 273 comments February’s reading challenge is to read a romance: light and sweet, racy, just pure fiction, or the real deal— whatever tickles your fancy. (For those of you who really aren't into hearts and flowers, find your own version of romance: food romance, car, whatever it is you love.)

message 2: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (dashforcover) | 919 comments Oh goodie, I've just the title. Nexus Point by my good friend and Utah author Jaleta Clegg. Find adventure and romance in the far flung reaches of space.

message 3: by Ann (new)

Ann | 273 comments Ssawyer is our prize drawing winner for January’s reading challenge. She read the first two Harry Potter books: Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone and Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets.

message 4: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (dashforcover) | 919 comments Congrats, Ssawyer! Way to go!

message 5: by Ssawyer (new)

Ssawyer | 14 comments Thanks Debbie!

message 6: by Mary (new)

Mary | 25 comments This is perfect because lately I have been addicted to listening to the Marion Chesney regency romance audiobooks while at work. They are just so light, fluffy, sweet and fun. I am loving them I think I'm up to something like my seventh in a row their not very long and I can get through like two in one work shift.

message 7: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (jackie123) | 263 comments Congrats, Ssawyer!

message 8: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn (jusknitting) | 137 comments I am reading The Lost Sisterhood which fits this category. It has some lite romance, which is about all I can stand.

message 9: by Lidja (new)

Lidja | 8 comments I'm reading Ally Condie's latest, Atlantia. Not my usual fare (this is a YA novel), but I know Ally's mom pretty well, so there's that. :) I'm also a Scuba diver, so this novel set in an underwater city is kind of curious to me. Ally has also invoked the Ancient Greek mythology of the siren in this story, so she's all over the map, so to speak. Interesting. It being a YA novel, there is a smidge of heart throbbing, too. Haha.

message 10: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (dashforcover) | 919 comments The final novel of Dean Koontz Odd Thomas series takes us to an understanding of the actual meaning of the Gypsy's fortune that says Oddie and Stormy will be together forever. A love found/love lost story crossing 8 works, my romance is Saint Odd. I'm also counting Nexus Point by my friend Jaleta Clegg. A delightful Sci-Fi story with a sideline story of girl crashes on planet, girl gets captured, girl gets rescued, girl gets lost, girl gets rescued again, girl gets lost again, girl gets rescued again. Of course there are many other adventures in a book that is extremely hard to put down once you pick it up!

message 11: by Ann (last edited Feb 10, 2015 01:54PM) (new)

Ann | 273 comments I really enjoyed The Paper Magician, which had the gentle beginnings of a romance-- the next book has already been released and at least one more is planned for the series so far, so I'm sure this will develop more. It's got a fun, quick paced story, and is written by a local author.

message 12: by Becky (new)

Becky | 277 comments I read Us, which I am counting as a romance because it recounts the romance and marriage of a couple, Douglas and Connie, and what happens after 25 years together when they are facing an empty nest. Got the recommendation from SL County Library's recommendation on facebook.

message 13: by Jennie (new)

Jennie | 43 comments I read Sophie, The Rules in Rome, Wedding Cake, Lady Emma's Campaign, Only the Brave, Cupcake Girl, Farewell My Denmark and the Line That Divides. There may have been others, but they don't come readily to mind. These were all enjoyable and I have or will review al but the YA ones.

message 14: by Kara (last edited Feb 18, 2015 03:01PM) (new)

Kara Vanderlinden | 5 comments Just finished The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion . Very fun POV. The main character would be on the Autism Spectrum. It kept coming and going as a hold, it never got a chance to rest on the shelf.

message 15: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (dashforcover) | 919 comments Kara wrote: "It kept coming and going as a hold, it never got a chance to rest on the shelf."

What do you mean with this statement? My brain refuses to parse it into anything reasonable.

message 16: by Ann (new)

Ann | 273 comments Kara wrote: "Just finished The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion. Very fun POV. The main character would be on the Autism Spectrum. It kept coming and going as a hold, it never got a chance to rest on the sh..."

If you liked The Rosie Project, the sequel, The Rosie Effect just came out in December of last year. I've heard it's pretty good too.

message 17: by Kara (new)

Kara Vanderlinden | 5 comments Debbie wrote: "Kara wrote: "It kept coming and going as a hold, it never got a chance to rest on the shelf."

What do you mean with this statement? My brain refuses to parse it into anything reasonable."

It is very popular in the SLCo Library system.

message 18: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (dashforcover) | 919 comments Kara wrote: "It is very popular in the SLCo Library system. "

OK, thanks. After a good night's sleep, I read it and it makes perfect sense. Silly me. Oh well, the brain is an odd critter.

message 19: by Heather (new)

Heather (h-town) | 15 comments Just finished my first Carla Kelly title, Reforming Lord Ragsdale. I was pleasantly surprised with this clean read. The story was full and complex on its own without relying on the characters fawning over each other to fill the pages. The author draws out the ending: several bookclub friends mentioned scanning the last chapter to reach that HEA and therefore didn't remember several elements that we were discussing about the end.

She's got several titles that won awards that I will add to my to-read list.

Britt, Book Habitue (britt--bookhabitue) | 387 comments I just finished The Storied Life of AJ Fikry, which is a 5-star book for me, even if objectively I'm not entirely certain it deserves 5 stars, lol.
Definitely a love story-- romantic love, the love of a child, love of books, love of community, love of life.

message 21: by Becky (new)

Becky | 277 comments Britt, Book Habitue wrote: "I just finished The Storied Life of AJ Fikry, which is a 5-star book for me, even if objectively I'm not entirely certain it deserves 5 stars, lol.
Definitely a love story-- romantic love, the love..."

I liked that book, too! Did you know the author is doing a book signing tomorrow night at The King's English?

message 22: by Ann (new)

Ann | 273 comments Heather wrote: "Just finished my first Carla Kelly title, Reforming Lord Ragsdale. I was pleasantly surprised with this clean read. The story was full and complex on its own without relying on the characters faw..."

I love her books! There's something about the way she writes about the past that brings it to life without seeming like she's listing off all the research she's done.

Britt, Book Habitue (britt--bookhabitue) | 387 comments King's English always seems to have the best author signings... one of these days I'll actually make it to one.
(Though for this book an author signing feels... not ironic maybe, but amusing.)

message 24: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (jackie123) | 263 comments Finished "Precious Bane", but sadly not in time to be in the challenge. I gave it 4 stars. :)
Who won?