The Nebula/Hugo Award Challenge discussion

My progress

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Martin (last edited Feb 06, 2015 11:52AM) (new)

Martin Dolezal (nethar) | 10 comments No discussion here so far ;-) So what is your progress? I just started with this challenge, got some of the first books for Christmas. I go for novel category only.
I read Dune many many years ago. Now I have finished The Fountains of Paradise and The Gods Themselves. 20 to go :-) Good luck!
Dune (Dune Chronicles, #1) by Frank Herbert The Fountains of Paradise by Arthur C. Clarke The Gods Themselves by Isaac Asimov

message 2: by Romulo (new)

Romulo | 1 comments Read:
Ender's Game
The god themselves
American Gods
Neuromancer
Speaker for the Dead
The Forever War
The Windup Girl
Forever Peace

Loving the challenge!

message 3: by Martin (new)

Martin Dolezal (nethar) | 10 comments Another one completed (The Windup Girl). Enjoying the challenge ;-)

Dune (Dune Chronicles, #1) by Frank Herbert The Fountains of Paradise by Arthur C. Clarke The Gods Themselves by Isaac Asimov The Windup Girl by Paolo Bacigalupi

message 4: by Paul (new)

Paul | 2 comments I have read:
Dune
Ringworld
Rendezvous With Rama
Ender's Game
Speaker For The Dead
American Gods

I am currently reading: Ancillary Justice

Do we get extra credit for joint winners in the novella category? ;) if so, I can add "Home is the Hangman" to my list

message 5: by Eric (last edited Jun 19, 2015 10:26PM) (new)

Eric (seattleotaku) | 6 comments Pre-Challenge (most pre-Goodreads) tally not in as-read order:
(+) = Plus others in the same series

Novels:
Dune (+)
The Left Hand of Darkness (+)
Ringworld (+)
Rendezvous With Rama (+)
The Dispossessed (+)
Gateway
Neuromancer
Ender's Game (+)
Speaker for the Dead (+)
American Gods
Dune by Frank Herbert The Left Hand of Darkness by Ursula K. Le Guin Ringworld (Ringworld, #1) by Larry Niven Rendezvous with Rama (Rama, #1) by Arthur C. Clarke The Dispossessed (Hainish Cycle, #5) by Ursula K. Le Guin Gateway (Heechee Saga 1) by Frederik Pohl Neuromancer (Sprawl, #1) by William Gibson Ender's Game (The Ender Quintet, #1) by Orson Scott Card Speaker for the Dead (The Ender Quintet, #2) by Orson Scott Card American Gods by Neil Gaiman

Novellas:
Ill Met in Lankhmar (+)
Enemy Mine
Ill Met in Lankhmar (Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser, #1-2) by Fritz Leiber Enemy Mine by Barry B. Longyear

Novelettes:
Gonna Roll the Bones
The Bicentennial Man
Sandkings
Fire Watch
Blood Music

Shorts:
"Repent, Harlequin!" Said the Ticktockman
Jeffty is Five
Tangents

Dramatic Presentation, Long Form:
(seen them all)

Mixed:
Flowers for Algernon (1960 Hugo short, 1966 Nebula novel)
Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes

message 6: by Martin (new)

Martin Dolezal (nethar) | 10 comments Another one completed :-P (Jo Walton: Among Others)

Dune (Dune Chronicles, #1) by Frank Herbert The Fountains of Paradise by Arthur C. Clarke The Gods Themselves by Isaac Asimov The Windup Girl by Paolo Bacigalupi Among Others by Jo Walton

message 7: by Eric (last edited Sep 25, 2015 10:46PM) (new)

Eric (seattleotaku) | 6 comments Just added Among Others to my list of completed ones, to start the 2015 part of the list.
Among Others by Jo Walton

message 8: by Eric (last edited Sep 25, 2015 10:46PM) (new)

Eric (seattleotaku) | 6 comments Another down: The Forever War
Among Others by Jo Walton The Forever War by Joe Haldeman

message 9: by Martin (new)

Martin Dolezal (nethar) | 10 comments Another one completed few days ago - Ursula K. Le Guin: The Left Hand of Darkness, nice one

Dune (Dune Chronicles, #1) by Frank Herbert The Fountains of Paradise by Arthur C. Clarke The Gods Themselves by Isaac Asimov The Windup Girl by Paolo Bacigalupi Among Others by Jo Walton The Left Hand of Darkness by Ursula K. Le Guin

message 10: by Eric (last edited Sep 25, 2015 11:23PM) (new)

Eric (seattleotaku) | 6 comments Reread Clarke's "Rendezvous With Rama" as a Kindle daily deal recently -- many others from Clarke, including The Fountains of Paradise, are in the SF/F monthly deals for a few more days. I also just added Ann Leckie's "Ancillary Justice" (now reading part 2, "Ancillary Sword", which was a Nebula/Hugo joint nominee).
Among Others by Jo Walton The Forever War by Joe Haldeman Rendezvous with Rama (Rama, #1) by Arthur C. Clarke Ancillary Justice (Imperial Radch, #1) by Ann Leckie

message 11: by Paul (new)

Paul | 2 comments I've added two more to my list:
Ancillary Justice, by Ann Leckie
The Doomsday Book, by Connie Willis

Ancillary Justice was a challenge to read the first time through, but I'm sure it will be more enjoyable the next time through.
The Doomsday Book was excellent, and I'm
looking forward to reading more by Willis. I'd previously read To Say Nothing of the Dog, which doesn't qualify for this list (it was nominated for both, but only won the Hugo.)

message 12: by Martin (new)

Martin Dolezal (nethar) | 10 comments I am currently reading All Clear/Blackout by Connie Willis. I am currently only on page 150 or something, on the one hand I like the stories unfolding, on the other hand it seems to be unnecessarily slow-paced so far. But it is too soon to judge. Great to hear that Doomsday Book was excellent, I believe it will be the same for All Clear.

message 13: by Eric (new)

Eric (seattleotaku) | 6 comments Of course the reason I mentioned Clarke's "The Fountains of Paradise" above is that I finally got around to adding it despite a local mention (no spoilers, just an engineer's description of the old Tacoma Narrows Bridge collapse film).
Among Others by Jo Walton The Forever War by Joe Haldeman Rendezvous with Rama (Rama, #1) by Arthur C. Clarke Ancillary Justice (Imperial Radch, #1) by Ann Leckie The Fountains of Paradise by Arthur C. Clarke

I agree about Willis, too; someday I'll get beyond "Fire Watch" (a dual winner as novelette). :)

message 14: by Martin (last edited Dec 03, 2015 03:01PM) (new)

Martin Dolezal (nethar) | 10 comments Another one completed few days ago - Connie Willis: Blackout. I am not going to read the second part (All Clear) as the book is too slow-paced and repetitive to me. But it was great how it was based on real World War 2 events.

Dune (Dune Chronicles, #1) by Frank Herbert The Fountains of Paradise by Arthur C. Clarke The Gods Themselves by Isaac Asimov The Windup Girl by Paolo Bacigalupi Among Others by Jo Walton The Left Hand of Darkness by Ursula K. Le Guin Blackout (All Clear #1) by Connie Willis

message 15: by Martin (new)

Martin Dolezal (nethar) | 10 comments One more - Dispossessed.

Dune (Dune Chronicles, #1) by Frank Herbert The Fountains of Paradise by Arthur C. Clarke The Gods Themselves by Isaac Asimov The Windup Girl by Paolo Bacigalupi Among Others by Jo Walton The Left Hand of Darkness by Ursula K. Le Guin Blackout (All Clear #1) by Connie Willis The Dispossessed by Ursula K. Le Guin

message 16: by Martin (new)

Martin Dolezal (nethar) | 10 comments Few years ago, time to update my list :-)
It seems I have 12/25.

Dune (Dune Chronicles, #1) by Frank Herbert The Fountains of Paradise by Arthur C. Clarke The Gods Themselves by Isaac Asimov The Windup Girl by Paolo Bacigalupi Among Others by Jo Walton The Left Hand of Darkness by Ursula K. Le Guin Blackout (All Clear #1) by Connie Willis The Dispossessed by Ursula K. Le Guin Ringworld (Ringworld, #1) by Larry Niven The Forever War (The Forever War, #1) by Joe Haldeman American Gods (American Gods, #1) by Neil Gaiman The Yiddish Policemen's Union by Michael Chabon