Dragons & Jetpacks discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archive > Books of the Month February 2015 - The Way of Shadows & Lock In

Comments Showing 1-31 of 31 (31 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rinn, Captain of the SSV Normandy (new)

Rinn (rinnsohma) | 3456 comments Mod
The winners of February 2015's BoTM are:
- FANTASY: The Way of Shadows by Brent Weeks
- SCI-FI: Lock In by John Scalzi

Book discussion may start at ANY point during the month. There will also be 'overall' discussion threads as more members finish the books - anyone can create these!

message 2: by Wayland, Ernest Scribbler (new)

Wayland Smith | 2812 comments Mod
Well dangit, Way of Shadows was going to be one of my Green Arrow books. :P

message 3: by Rinn, Captain of the SSV Normandy (new)

Haha, it was also going to be one of my hero books, I didn't think this through when I nominated it :P

message 4: by Wayland, Ernest Scribbler (new)

Oh, so this is YOUR fault? I see. :P

message 5: by Joey (new)

Joey (mostlyjoe) | 178 comments Heheh.

message 6: by Wayland, Ernest Scribbler (new)

Both reserved at the library, and only 21st for one of them, and third for other, so unlike Station Eleven, I'll probably get both. So there's that.

message 7: by Laura (new)

Laura Lewis (muncheekin) Heheheh. I read Way of Shadows a couple years back. Love the trilogy, though having to bite my tongue about the ending of the last book >.>

message 8: by Shawnie (new)

Shawnie | 1679 comments I'm so happy they're both available at my library, and I'm first in line...when they get returned.

message 9: by Rinn, Captain of the SSV Normandy (new)

Well I can definitely join with Way of Shadows since I have a copy with me, probably not with Lock In though.

message 10: by Sara (new)

Sara | 35 comments Shawnie wrote: "I'm so happy they're both available at my library, and I'm first in line...when they get returned."

I have Way of Shadows, and may have the Scalzi book electronically... I can lend them to you :)

message 11: by Emily (new)

Emily (novelnods) | 11 comments I haven't listened to it myself, but I believe someone uploaded the Way Of Shadows audiobook to YouTube if anyone wants to listen to it that way.

message 12: by Orion (new)

Orion (twilightambition) | 72 comments ughh.... Why did I nominate Lock In? Now I have to do a reread. :P

message 13: by David Coulson (new)

David Coulson | 24 comments I loved Lock In when I first read it... It'll be interesting to see if that's still the case when I know the answers to the mysteries.

I'm reading The Broken Eye right now, and have read the other books in the series recently, so I might be reaching Brent Weeks overload, but I'll give Way of Shadows a chance.

message 14: by Orion (last edited Jan 30, 2015 01:04PM) (new)

Orion (twilightambition) | 72 comments There is also a free prequel to Lock In, Unlocked: An Oral History of Haden's Syndrome, that you can read here. It's not necessary but I feel like it helped add a lot of depth when I was reading it. They also have the first 5 chapters of Lock In available there as well.

message 15: by Matías (new)

Matías | 41 comments Well, I just was debating myself whether to start reading the Night Angel Trilogy or something like The Demon Cycle or Abercrombie's Shattered Sea. Having the Way of Shadows being picked up by the group I've just joined really helped me make up my mind.

message 16: by Rinn, Captain of the SSV Normandy (new)

*psst* The Demon Cycle is also awesome ;)

message 17: by Sam (new)

Sam I read the Night angel trilogy a few years back and loved it, so will join you by re-reading. I will also take a look at lock in.

message 18: by Matías (new)

Matías | 41 comments Well... I'm starting the book right about now! Although I first wanted to check out how the names are pronounced and discovered they don't follow much logic at all...

I just wished that very author did what Tolkien did and, when it comes to vowels, use their sound in Spanish, which is always the same.

Anyway... It seems that the most common pronunciation for Azoth is AY-ZOTH. At least that's what they say in the audiobook. Is that how you guys pronounce it?

message 19: by Rinn, Captain of the SSV Normandy (new)

Oh, I assumed Az-oth, exactly as it's spelt :o

message 20: by Matías (new)

Matías | 41 comments There's also this glossary that is included in the Omnibus edition but was also published in Brent Weeks' site. The glossary fortunately includes a number of pronunciations. You can check it out here, though I think it might be a little spoilerish, so I just read the pronunciations.
http://issuu.com/orbitbooks/docs/page...

message 21: by Matt (new)

Matt | 28 comments Oh The Way of the Shadows caught my eye a while back and I forgot to add it to me TBR list. My neighbor goes on and on about Lock in guess I should give that one a go to. Of course this totally disputes my plans to startThe Way of Kings!

message 22: by Kirsty, Jedi Master (last edited Feb 03, 2015 04:49AM) (new)

Kirsty Cabot (kirstycabot) | 1856 comments Mod
ONE DAY Ilium will win... ONE DAY!!!!

I'm not instantly pulled by either book, so I may wait to see how the group gets on with both and then maybe pick one towards the second half of the month.

message 23: by Rinn, Captain of the SSV Normandy (new)

It has to, Kirsty! Although preferably after August when I can access the paperback ;)

message 24: by Matías (new)

Matías | 41 comments How are you guys pronouncing Kylar? I've checked two different audiobooks in YouTube and one says KY-LAR, while the other says clearly KY-LER (Kailer is you understand the sound of vowels in Spanish).

MINOR SPOILERS AHEAD
I think KY-LER is the correct one, since in the scene where Drake asks how he is going to spell the name, he then suggests K-Y-L-E-R and K-I-L-E-R. Then Durzo spells it, and when Drake sees that it's spelled "Kylar" he refers to it as a pun.

So, what do you guys think?

PS: How I wish every English-speaking author would just do what Tolkien did and simply mix the sound of vowels in Spanish with the sound of vowels in English.

message 25: by Rinn, Captain of the SSV Normandy (new)

How about making a thread for pronunciation in the BotM forum, so we avoid spoilers in this post? :)

message 26: by Matías (new)

Matías | 41 comments Sorry, I thought everyone would've read past that already. And I thought this was the only forum for discussing this book. Shall I start the thread or will you do it?

message 27: by Rinn, Captain of the SSV Normandy (new)

It's no problem - feel free to make it, anyone can :) I haven't really got far enough in the book to discuss much yet :(

message 28: by David (new)

David Blyth | 14 comments I have read the first 13 chapters of this book and have immediately been drawn into the story line. I want to know more about Azoth and his life.
Will we as a group be reading books 2 and 3 of the trilogy in the coming months?

message 29: by Matías (new)

Matías | 41 comments So far, the story is really gripping and the worldbuilding is done step by step instead of heavy infodumps like some authors do.

The prose isn't great (at least to me since I'm coming from authors like Joe Abercrombie and Mark Lawrence), but it gets the job done.

message 30: by Matías (new)

Matías | 41 comments How much have you guys progressed? I'm on chapter 46 and the pace for the last few chapters has been amazing! So much has happened! I can't wait to discuss it with you!

message 31: by Rinn, Captain of the SSV Normandy (new)

I've had friends staying, so haven't read for a while. May make more progress tonight if my MMO server doesn't want to go back up.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.