Beowulf Beowulf discussion

Trying to remember a book from my youth

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Aly (new)

Aly Dehner I has a book as a child in the early/mid 70's.
It was a large book and the pages were thin like a phone book. Each section in the book was dedicated to a different mythological creature, each sections pages had their own color, so when you looked at the pages of the book while it was closed it was like a rainbow. It was a book of short stories about mythical creatures. for instance, lets say the 1st section was all short stories about trolls, all the pages in that section would be blue. The drawings were black ink on whatever color page you were on. I would LOVE to find this book for my own kids, any ideas???

Renee E Never encountered that, but now you've got me curious. It sounds interesting. Certainly the presentation is imaginative.

message 3: by Jana (new)

Jana B. Sounds like it may be something by Andrew Lang? He wrote fairy tales and his books were big with color coded sections. Hope that helps!

Jesse Is it one of the D'Aulaires' many books? D'Aulaires' Book of Trolls

I'm thinking no, because I don't think they use black ink much. They are mostly pretty colorful.

Jennifer Aly wrote: "I has a book as a child in the early/mid 70's.
It was a large book and the pages were thin like a phone book. Each section in the book was dedicated to a different mythological creature, each secti..."

This book sounds beautiful! If you find it, will you please post it?

message 6: by Felicity (last edited Jun 29, 2015 09:03PM) (new)

Felicity Johnson Aly wrote: "I has a book as a child in the early/mid 70's.
It was a large book and the pages were thin like a phone book. Each section in the book was dedicated to a different mythological creature, each secti..."

Do you happen to know if it was Norse mythology, or just myths in general? I have found a few that at least look similar, but they are all pretty obscure. Here they are, and you can judge for yourself if it is any of these:
Of Gods and Giants Norse Mythology (Tanum's Tokens of Norway) by Harald Hveberg
Norwegian Folktales (Pantheon Fairy Tale and Folklore Library) by Peter Christen Asbjørnsen
A Dictionary of Fairies Hobgoblins, Brownies, Bogies and Other Supernatural Creatures by Katharine Mary Briggs
Abbey Lubbers, Banshees, & Boggarts An Illustrated Encyclopedia of Fairies by Katharine Mary Briggs
The Folklore of the Cotswolds (The Folklore of the British Isles) by Katharine Mary Briggs
I pretty much just found these while looking around Goodreads, and I don't actually know what any of them look like apart from the picture, but I hope this helps.