2015 Reading Challenge [Closed] discussion

A Confederacy of Dunces
This topic is about A Confederacy of Dunces
. Week 8: Funny Book > A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Bam cooks the books ;-) (bamcooks) I'm not really into 'funny' books usually but this has been on my to-read pile for ages so I'm going with it.

message 2: by Charity (new)

Charity (faeryrebel78) I'm not into funny books either but my roommate gave me this book to read.

Libscigrl (animlgrl) | 12 comments This book is hilarious! Enjoy! If you watch Family Guy, picture Peter as you read it ;)

message 4: by Chelle (new)

Chelle (MaleficentBookDragon) (chellerydz) I'm going to read this for my Pulitzer Prize Week.

Bam cooks the books ;-) (bamcooks) I am really torn about what to read for that week. So many good books to chose from.

Bam cooks the books ;-) (bamcooks) I'm about a hundred pages into the book and loving it. Too bad Toole only wrote one book; he was very talented.

Bam cooks the books ;-) (bamcooks) Finished the book this morning and gave it five stars. Hilarious! What unique characters.

message 8: by Sara (new) - added it

Sara (saradiann) | 35 comments I love this so far. It's so spot-on New Orleans even today...and so funny!

message 9: by Busy (new)

Busy | 65 comments I hated this book so much. I didn't find it funny at all. Just annoying with hints of sexism, racism and homophobia thrown in. I just can't understand the hype- what about this was funny?

Bam cooks the books ;-) (bamcooks) One thing I've learned in life is that humor is very subjective--what one person finds amusing, another may find disgusting. I found it to be a comical farce myself. It should be kept in mind that it was written in the early 1960s, before civil rights, women's lib, gay rights, etc were big issues. Rather than try to rewrite history, these reactions can be springboards for great discussions.