The Mystery, Crime, and Thriller Group discussion

Interesting stuff > do you want to know why you're so "fascinated" with Nordic Noir?

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

Nancy Oakes (quinnsmom) | 9167 comments Mod
Here's a video (about five minutes long) about "our fascination with Scandinavian fiction."

https://scancrime.wordpress.com/2015/...

message 2: by Gisela (last edited Jan 27, 2015 05:26AM) (new)

Gisela Hafezparast | 368 comments Thanks Nancy, interesting video, too true. Especially especially the "doing things right" of Scandinavian cops/detectives is attractive, they often do still have a life and manage to live it whilst solving crimes. Sarah Lund might be a bit extreme, but even she has a life. In books and in films I do not need a lot of gore and blood to realise how devastating and horrible murder, nor without being a prude, do I need to know too much about my detectives sex lives apart from that which might in some way define/mark them. Nor do I need the macho behaviour a lot of the American crime novels with both male or female detectives advertise. Scandinavians rarely do that. When Harry Hole started to be over the top in that way in the later books, that's when he lost me.

message 3: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (last edited Jan 27, 2015 05:23AM) (new)

Gisela wrote: "Thanks Nancy, interesting video, too true."

You're welcome. I've discovered that over the years I've become very selective when it comes to reading Scandinavian crime fiction.

message 4: by Billys (new)

Billys Boots | 23 comments I agree 100% about Harry Hole, Gisela.

message 5: by Skye (new)

Skye | 2105 comments This is interesting; something I never gave much thought.

message 6: by B'burg Linda (new)

B'burg Linda | 34 comments Thanks, Nancy. As someone who has only dabbled in Nordic Noir, it was interesting to hear the speaker's objective analysis. Unfortunately, I have read so little that I only recognised a few of the authors he mentioned. I must remedy that! I also appreciate your intro to the Nordic Noir book club/newsletter.

message 7: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

B'burg Linda wrote: "Thanks, Nancy. As someone who has only dabbled in Nordic Noir, it was interesting to hear the speaker's objective analysis. Unfortunately, I have read so little that I only recognised a few of the ..."

You're very welcome.

message 8: by Jon (new)

Jon Frum | 12 comments The video is more about television series than books.

message 9: by Sara (new)

Sara Sheridan That's interesting. I've heard it comes in waves - for a while in the 90s, grungy Scottish crime was all the rage (think Irvine Welsh.) Maybe it'll be some other flavour of crime in the 2020s.

message 10: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

That's if you follow trends.

message 11: by Sara (new)

Sara Sheridan Sometimes it's difficult not to - trends impact what's on sale and what publishers are interested in buying.