Book Haven discussion

General > Advice Needed!!!

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nicholas (new)

Nicholas Williams (ruinsofgolgotha) Hello ladies and gents,

My name is Nicholas and I am going to be releasing an ebook through Gumroad in the next month or so. The final version that will go up for "sale" will be a total of 20 short stories that I've written in the last couple of months time. I cover subjects such as war, torment, disease, blasphemy, nature, the universe and even worlds that are filled with chaos. This will be my first project that I'll be releasing to the world so I just needed some advice for those that love reading. Also, I want to add that the payment will be "pay what you want" for the book. If you wish to take it for free, I am not against that at all. Just want to get my name out and about so I can hopefully move up in my passion of writing.

The first main question is what advice would you give to me if I wanted to get more backing/hype for this book before release?

Second, does that "pay what you want" option sound like a solid plan? I'm not very cocky about my work but I am confident that certain people will enjoy it.

Finally, Would any of the people on this board be interested in checking it out once it's released? If so, just let me know and I'll add you onto Facebook or Goodreads to keep in touch.

Thank you in advance for even reading this and can't wait to hear from the board.

message 2: by Jim (new)

Jim Vuksic | 94 comments Books and periodicals on the subject of literary marketing almost all suggest utilizing multiple promotional tools.

Website - Focused upon a specific work and its author. It should include a book blurb, author's bio., events page, and an interactive communication page.

Personal Appearances - Book festivals and conventions; Book Clubs; Public Libraries; Book Stores.

Literary Websites - Active participation in various discussion groups; not just those specifically designated for self-promotion. Let people get to know you as a person and fellow reader.

Push Cards, Business Cards, and Thank-You Cards - Featuring a specific work and its author.

Blog - Well written and consistently maintained.

Interviews - Accept legitimate requests from established literary magazines, blogs, and websites.

message 3: by Jim (last edited Jan 28, 2015 02:05PM) (new)

Jim Vuksic | 94 comments Regarding your pay what you want plan, I offer the following opinion.

There is a difference between being cocky and being confident. An author must be confident in his work and that confidence should translate into quality.

If an author expends the time and effort to "do it right" i.e., learn and apply proper technical writing and narration skills and have his manuscript professionally edited, he has every right to request and receive fair monetary compensation for the finished product. In a free market economy, a product is worth what the consumer is willing to pay. Given a choice in the matter, many will logically come to the conclusion that it would be foolish to pay something for anything that can be obtained for nothing.

message 4: by Feliks (last edited Jan 28, 2015 02:16PM) (new)

Feliks (dzerzhinsky) Either make it pay, or free, but not both. Jim is giving you sage advice.

I like this one best:
Jim wrote: "Let people get to know you as a person and fellow reader....". Right! People don't buy books from authors they have no chemistry with. Be your own goodwill ambassador.

And I will add this about websites: 'Goodreads' is not a writer's website. It's a reader's website.
Make sure you represent yourself on all the professional writer's websites.

Why? I know of two authors (mystery/romance genre) who got their works picked up from such sites. As authors, they weren't even that exemplary or outstanding: they just happened to have the right material at the right time, and it was competent. And they were also hanging out in the right place, where they could encounter other industry professionals on both sides of the press. They weren't just hanging out trying to sell one measly copy at a time, to aimless/distracted/uninterested readers on the Goodreads website.

message 5: by Jan (new)

Jan Greene (jankg) | 81 comments Hi Feliks,
Thanks for the advice. I agree about Goodreads. Can you please name one or two professional writer's websites. I am not sure what you mean. Thanks for the help.
Jan

message 6: by Feliks (new)

Feliks (dzerzhinsky) Sure.

My memory may fail me here but ....try:

Writer's Diary
AbsoluteWrite

Certainly, the latter.

Then, (if interested in screenwriting):
Inktip (where you present your scripts to actual agents and producers)

message 7: by Jan (new)

Jan Greene (jankg) | 81 comments Thanks so much, Felix. I will check them all out.