Chicks On Lit discussion

Archive 08-19 GR Discussions > The Light between Oceans: Part 3

Comments Showing 1-50 of 52 (52 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Irene (new)

Irene  (irene918) | 1016 comments Part 3

message 2: by Irene (new)

Irene  (irene918) | 1016 comments Which character have do you feel sympathy for? Why?

message 3: by Sheila , Supporting Chick (new)

Sheila  | 3485 comments Mod
I feel the most sympathy for Lucy Grace. None of this was her doing, her fault, but she is the biggest victim.

After her, I probably feel sympathy for her biological mom. She lost her husband, lost her daughter, her family thought she was crazy, then when her daughter was returned she felt the torture of knowing her daughter didn't know her, didn't love her, and wanted to go back to another woman. That must have been heart breaking!

message 4: by Sue (last edited Feb 10, 2015 08:27AM) (new)

Sue I have sympathy for all of the characters except the gang chasing Franz towards the sea.

It is probably a unpopular sympathy vote but I feel most sorry for Izabel and she may be the person most people have the least sympathy for as she is root problem within the novel. I feel sorry that Izabel lost 3 children, I feel sorry for her that she wants to be a mother and cannot be, I feel sorry for her that she has what I feel has a mental health issue, she is immature and living in 'la la' land and I feel sorry for her that her actions cause a lot of people mental distress.

message 5: by Rebecca (last edited Feb 10, 2015 11:46AM) (new)

Rebecca For me I don't think I could pit a certain characters sympathy over the other. For me I felt for the grandparents. Children are and extension of there parents. The heartbreak and grief of Izzy's mother was sad to me. I think to see in play out as well in the life of her daughter would be very heartbreaking. Izzy's mom doesn't know the full extent of her grief and I am wondering in the end what that will do to their relationship when she does?

message 6: by Jayme (new)

Jayme (jaymetheghostreader) | 4852 comments I felt bad for Tom, Izzy, Lucy and the grandparents.

message 7: by Daniale (new)

Daniale Lynch | 148 comments thqe part that hit me the hardest was when Lucy was taken from Izzy after Tom is arrested. I actually had to scan ahead and spoil some sections for myself! I just felt so bad for little Lucy. In part, I am sure, because my own daughter is 4 and I couldn't pull get her face out of my head when I read. I just couldn't help feeling like there was some middle ground to be reached! Some alternative family structure to be created. I guess post-WWI was not a time for unique families.

After Lucy Grace, I felt for the grandparents and Hannah, Tom, and, sadly, lastly Izzy. It was just such a horrible situation for everyone to be in! Even though I had to spoil some sections, I really enjoyed seeing it play out.

message 8: by Jayme (new)

Jayme (jaymetheghostreader) | 4852 comments I felt the same way, Daniale. I was also hoping that there was another way where both parties could see Lucy., like a shared custody.

message 9: by Sue (new)

Sue I was also distressed by Lucy/Grace's distress and I could feel myself skimming these parts of the novel and metaphorically taking a step back.

I wonder what others thoughts of Dr Sumptons advice to Hannah of cutting Lucy completely off from Tom and Izabel?

message 10: by Jayme (new)

Jayme (jaymetheghostreader) | 4852 comments I didn't like that at all, Lucy has spent her whole life of 4 years with Tom and Izzy. To completely cut her off from them wouldn't be right. Lucy isn't going to just automatically accept Hannah as her mother.

message 11: by Sue (last edited Feb 18, 2015 02:08PM) (new)

Sue I kinda of agree with Dr Sumptons advice even though it was quite distressing for Lucy/Grace about cutting her off completely from the Robinsons. To me its is like having a plaster on a wound - do you take the plaster off quickly or do take the plaster of millimetre by millimetre. Even though it is traumatic for Lucy/Grace, I think if her mother is kind to her she will settle, I kind of think children are quite adaptable to change if that change is safe.

To me the Robinson had no rights to Lucy/Grace even if it is to placate her. To me the Robinsons kind of did kidnap Lucy/Grace and their actions are criminal therefore you usually don't encourage a relationship with a criminal and their victim.

message 12: by Sue (last edited Feb 18, 2015 02:14PM) (new)

Sue Did you think the 'silver rattle' would be as important as it turned out to be in the novel?

message 13: by Sheila , Supporting Chick (new)

Sue wrote: "Did you think the 'silver rattle' would as important as it turned out to be in the novel?"

I wasn't surprised that it ended up playing into the story. It seemed like a very unique, identifiable object that was found with the baby and kept. :-)

message 14: by Irene (new)

Irene  (irene918) | 1016 comments I am just starting to read Part 3, but here is a question. At the end of part 2, what did you think would happen as Tom was walking up to the tower?

message 15: by Irene (new)

Irene  (irene918) | 1016 comments Discuss the impact of living in seclusion on both Tom and Isabel. Why do you think each of them is drawn to live on Janus Rock? Do you think, in the moments when we are unobserved, we are different people?

message 16: by Irene (new)

Irene  (irene918) | 1016 comments Part 3 starts out very aggressively, but I guess it's because it's technically a kidnapping, right?

message 17: by Irene (new)

Irene  (irene918) | 1016 comments Sue once the author elaborated on the specifics of the rattle, I knew it was a link to the uncovering the events that occurred.

message 18: by Irene (new)

Irene  (irene918) | 1016 comments I agree, Grace Lucy is the only victim here. She was lead to believe in false life and now she is hurting. I also feel bad for the Potts, because they have to endure watching Lucy Grace morn unnecessarily if Tom and Izzy would have done the right thing. They made their bed, now they must lay in it. What's wrong is wrong.

message 19: by Daniale (new)

Daniale Lynch | 148 comments Irene wrote: "Discuss the impact of living in seclusion on both Tom and Isabel. Why do you think each of them is drawn to live on Janus Rock? Do you think, in the moments when we are unobserved, we are different..."

I think both Tom and Izzy are, in a sense, outsiders in the world. Tom because his mother abandoned him and his father seemed none too nurturing, and then his experiences with the horrors faced in WWI. Izzy because she's the much-doted upon remaining child in her family and therefore has a sense of independence and freedom that wasn't common in women in those days. The isolation offered by Janus buffered them and offered them protection, even though it was also a harsh environment. I think Tom and Izzy felt like they were their true, most content selves out there. They couldn't have lived the same way--for better or worse--on the mainland. From the beginning Izzy claimed Janus as her own when she made the map for Tom. While it protected their personalities from chastisement, it also gave them a sense that they could do whatever they wanted because there was no one to hold them accountable.

I think that for some people isolation brings out a different person or side of their personality, but I don't think that necessarily holds true for everyone. Sometimes isolation brings out the negative sides of people, and sometimes it can bring out a more content, relaxed side.

message 20: by Sue (new)

Sue Sue wrote: "Did you think the 'silver rattle' would be as important as it turned out to be in the novel?"

I knew the silver rattle would be used as a form of id for Lucy/Grace and thought this might occur accidently decades down the line. I was surprised that the rattle was thrown up quite quickly and suprised how things quickly things escalated in this being a clue to find Lucy/Grace.

message 21: by Sue (last edited Feb 19, 2015 10:47AM) (new)

Sue Irene wrote: "Part 3 starts out very aggressively, but I guess it's because it's technically a kidnapping, right?"

I think kidnapping fits the Robinsons actions, whilst their actions do not completely fit the definition of kidnapping they did 'hold a person unlawfully'.

message 22: by Sue (last edited Feb 19, 2015 11:18AM) (new)

Sue Irene wrote: "Discuss the impact of living in seclusion on both Tom and Isabel. Why do you think each of them is drawn to live on Janus Rock? Do you think, in the moments when we are unobserved, we are different..."

I think the seclusion of Janus was actively sought after by both Tom and Izabel.

I don't think we are that different in private, I think different character flaws are supressed or elevated depending on where we are. I think I am more of introvert but at work I work with a lot of people so I would need to be a little more extrovert, but if I am away from home I would succumb to the introvert side, but if I am at home with my partner/family etc, I would be a bit more extrovert.

Tom seemed be a 'rules' based person he likes order and procedures. Tom working on Janus Rock and the lighthouse is ideal for him also it allows him to be detached from the emotional baggage of his father and from people curious about his experience in the war.

I agree that Janus Rock gives Izzy a sense of freedom without rules e.g. we are first introduced to her when she is on the beach throwing breadcrumbs to seagulls, probably not an appropriate way for a woman to behave in century on Janus Rock we read of Izzy basically running around the island.

The effect of the isolation of Janus Rock is that Tom and Izzy make their own world and own rules they don't have the rules and conformity as if they were living regularly amongst other people.

message 23: by Irene (new)

Irene  (irene918) | 1016 comments Sue, Dr S. is correct. The relationship between Grace and Tom and Izzy must not exist. The only way Grace and Hannah' s relationship will develop is with no interference.

message 24: by Irene (last edited Feb 19, 2015 07:59PM) (new)

Irene  (irene918) | 1016 comments In the middle of chapter 26 the author stops the story to give us a little tidbit....In the country around Partageuse, every life-form has its defenses.... why do you think she does this?

message 25: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten Feldman (goodreadscomkirsten_feldman) Irene wrote: "I agree, Grace Lucy is the only victim here. She was lead to believe in false life and now she is hurting. I also feel bad for the Potts, because they have to endure watching Lucy Grace mor..."

I absolutely agree: the child is the only victim. Izzy and then Tom did what they did in full knowledge of its wrongness and must pay the price. I feel so, so badly for Hannah and her family. On the flip side there is the selfless side to motherhood that might have said it will be least painful for my child to remain with the only parents she has known and so I will bow out.

message 26: by Daniale (new)

Daniale Lynch | 148 comments Irene, that's an interesting catch in the middle of Ch. 26. I remember reading it and pausing to consider it. I still don't know if I have a great answer, but here's what I've thought about.

Environment had played a key role throughout the novel, and it needed to be represented in Partaguese-- which turns out to be the midst dangerous environment. Tom, Izzy, and Lucy Grace don't have the defenses to survive here.

It's pointed out that Izzy is one of the ones to look out for because her defenses only come out when she is threatened. We see her struggle with saving Lucy or saving Tom. Her maternal instincts to protect get young kick in, and she had to fight them back to do what's right. (As much as you can say ANY decision here is more right than another -- at least this one is truthful! )

message 27: by Daniale (new)

Daniale Lynch | 148 comments *most, not midst

message 28: by Irene (last edited Feb 21, 2015 08:00PM) (new)

Irene  (irene918) | 1016 comments Daniale wrote: "Irene wrote: "Discuss the impact of living in seclusion on both Tom and Isabel. Why do you think each of them is drawn to live on Janus Rock? Do you think, in the moments when we are unobserved, we..."

I agree with you. Being secluded actually brings out a calm and peaceful side, whereas being in a stressful situation brings out different personalities.

message 29: by Irene (new)

Irene  (irene918) | 1016 comments Sue wrote: "Irene wrote: "Discuss the impact of living in seclusion on both Tom and Isabel. Why do you think each of them is drawn to live on Janus Rock? Do you think, in the moments when we are unobserved, we..."

Definitely, it's other's rules that can stir emotional drama.

message 30: by Irene (new)

Irene  (irene918) | 1016 comments I'm behind on my own reading schedule.

message 31: by Irene (new)

Irene  (irene918) | 1016 comments What did you think of the conclusion of the novel? What emotions did you feel at the story’s end? Did it turn out as you expected? Were you satisfied?

message 32: by Sue (last edited Feb 24, 2015 01:45AM) (new)

Sue I am not sure how much we can give away if some readers have not finished the novel?

So without giving to much away, I think the novel concluded well. I was moved by the ending and certain parts made me cry. I am not sure what I expected from the novel ending but I was just happy going where the novel took me. I was satisfied with the book and the ending.

It is going to be made into a film, I am not sure about going to see it on the big screen but would be quite happy to rent it or wait until it came on tv.

For me it is one of those books that would linger in my mind and I would be happy to recommend it to others especially women.

I rated the novel 5 stars.

message 33: by Sheila , Supporting Chick (new)

Irene wrote: "I'm behind on my own reading schedule. "

LOL! No worries, Irene. :-)

message 34: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca I think you are doing great Irene. Despite you are posting questions to keep it going. I did get the book back today so I am hoping to finish up part 2 by tonight.

message 35: by Irene (new)

Irene  (irene918) | 1016 comments Rebecca, as you read, post comments I will continue to comment as well.

message 36: by Irene (new)

Irene  (irene918) | 1016 comments Thank you Sheila.

message 37: by Irene (new)

Irene  (irene918) | 1016 comments Sue, great review, but stay tune. As the group finishes reading the book there will be more comments about it.

message 38: by Irene (new)

Irene | 4087 comments I haven't been participating in the discussion because I read it about a year and a half ago and did not want to accidently give away any spoilers. But, I loved the ending. I loved the way Tom responded to Izzy, his ability to understand her pain and confusion, to forgive her, his willingness to take the fall to protect her, his faithfulness to her over the long haul. And, I loved Izzy's ability to accept that love from Tom. It would be easy for her to have been so filled with shame and guilt, to have wanted to flee from him as a reminder of all she had done wrong and all the sorrow she caused, but she was able to remain in such a vulnrable space and accept his love. I thought the maturing relationship between these characters was breath-takingly beautiful.

message 39: by Daniale (new)

Daniale Lynch | 148 comments My favorite scene was when Izzy comes to the jail in the middle of the rainstorm. It's so, so beautiful to me. All of their angst, pain, and turmoil being washed away in the rain as the truth is revealed and they find their connection to one another again. It was such a release.

message 40: by Irene (new)

Irene | 4087 comments I loved that sceen also; it had me tearing up. I also loved it when Tom is quietly with Izzy on the bench outside the sanitorium. I loved his fidelity. You can take all the tall, dark and muscled hunks of romantic literature, Tom is my idea of a romantic hero.

message 41: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca I just started part 3 this morning. I was kind of surprised by Septimus trying to forget about the other grieving grandparents.

message 42: by Irene (new)

Irene  (irene918) | 1016 comments What does Izzy mean by, "Janus was real. Lucy was real. Everything else was just make-believe." in Chapter 34?

message 43: by Irene (last edited Feb 28, 2015 04:04PM) (new)

Irene  (irene918) | 1016 comments Irene it was a moving ending. I'm glad the author didn't leave us hanging and wondering about their lives. I would say Izzy realized that marriage is a contract regardless of the issues and problems . It's for better or worse . Marriage is about growing and maturing together.

message 44: by Irene (new)

Irene  (irene918) | 1016 comments Excellent metaphor Daniale .

message 45: by Irene (new)

Irene  (irene918) | 1016 comments Did you think the ending would have been different ? I did, but I'm glad it wasn't .

message 46: by Sheila , Supporting Chick (new)

Irene wrote: "What does Izzy mean by, "Janus was real. Lucy was real. Everything else was just make-believe." in Chapter 34?"

I don't know. This almost seems like a delusion on Izzy's part. That she wanted the fantasy of their life with Lucy as their daughter on Janus to be the reality of her life, when really it was not.

message 47: by Sheila , Supporting Chick (new)

Irene wrote: "Did you think the ending would have been different ? I did, but I'm glad it wasn't ."

I don't if I expected any specific ending. I was kept curious and wondering what was going to happen the whole way. I am satisfied at how the author ended it though. I am glad we were able to see Lucy Grace as an adult.

message 48: by Irene (new)

Irene  (irene918) | 1016 comments People always get hurt and hurt loved ones, when they live in a fantasy world.

message 49: by Rebecca (last edited Mar 05, 2015 04:40AM) (new)

Rebecca I finally finished the book. The final chapters starting with Tom's arrest to the end were my favorite. I was so glad that the ending the way it did. I was completly satisfied. Like you said Irene. I am glad she didn't leave us wondering either. I agree Sheila with the thoughts about Izzy's reality. I think in aways sometimes we are not different in our lives. We grow up wanting to have a "perfect life" or at least for things to go our way and most of the time they do not. I really enjoyed this book, it was done so well. Thank you for the discussion Irene and for those who voted for the book.

message 50: by Sheila , Supporting Chick (new)

Yes, Thank you for leading a great discussion, Irene! I am very glad to have read this book, and discussed it with all of the ladies here. :-)

« previous 1