Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Previous BRs - Authors; E - H > Flynn, Gillian - Sharp Objects - Informal Buddy Read; Start: February 1, 2015 **** REVISIT starts July 26, 2018

Comments Showing 1-50 of 112 (112 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 30836 comments Mod
This topic is open for discussion of Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn

Book Synopsis
WICKED above her hipbone, GIRL across her heart
Words are like a road map to reporter Camille Preaker’s troubled past. Fresh from a brief stay at a psych hospital, Camille’s first assignment from the second-rate daily paper where she works brings her reluctantly back to her hometown to cover the murders of two preteen girls.

NASTY on her kneecap, BABYDOLL on her leg
Since she left town eight years ago, Camille has hardly spoken to her neurotic, hypochondriac mother or to the half-sister she barely knows: a beautiful thirteen-year-old with an eerie grip on the town. Now, installed again in her family’s Victorian mansion, Camille is haunted by the childhood tragedy she has spent her whole life trying to cut from her memory.

HARMFUL on her wrist, WHORE on her ankle
As Camille works to uncover the truth about these violent crimes, she finds herself identifying with the young victims—a bit too strongly. Clues keep leading to dead ends, forcing Camille to unravel the psychological puzzle of her own past to get at the story. Dogged by her own demons, Camille will have to confront what happened to her years before if she wants to survive this homecoming.

With its taut, crafted writing, Sharp Objects is addictive, haunting, and unforgettable.

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Reserved

message 3: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Reserved

message 4: by ♦Ashley♦ (new)

♦Ashley♦ | 1131 comments Count me in.

message 5: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 3273 comments I put it on hold with Overdrive, but don't think I'll get it in time. I hated her other two books - but I still want to read this one. However, I thought the movie Gone Girl was excellent. Go figure?

message 6: by Shinjini (new)

Shinjini (shinjini14) | 292 comments I'm in.

Sarah, I liked Gone Girl but I really did not like Dark Places so I'm waiting to see where I go with this one. I'm yet to watch the movie though but I've been hearing everyone say the it is good. Did they make any changes?

message 7: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 3273 comments I thought they did a really good adaptation.

message 8: by CatWrangler (new)

CatWrangler | 57 comments Can I join with a comment or two? I've just started reading it.

message 9: by Vikki (new)

Vikki (silverstarz) | 1027 comments I'm planning on starting on 1st February, but it depends on how far I get with a book I've just started. I may start sooner.

I've read Gone Girl (a couple of years ago) and Dark Places (earlier this month) and I did like both. Haven't seen the film of Gone Girl but will probably check it out on DVD - I never got the chance to see it in the cinema. I've heard a lot of good comments about Sharp Objects, so hopefully it won't disappoint.

message 10: by CatWrangler (new)

CatWrangler | 57 comments I've read Gone Girl but don't feel like watching the movie. I was about to but changed my mind. I guess I just don't want to get disappointed.

I have a good feeling about Sharp Objects, though.Even the bad comments claim it is not dull.

message 11: by Ashley Marie (new)

Ashley Marie Ema wrote: "I've read Gone Girl but don't feel like watching the movie. I was about to but changed my mind. I guess I just don't want to get disappointed.

I have a good feeling about Sharp Objects, though.Eve..."

I liked the Gone Girl movie but I love the book infinitely more; the perspectives seemed to have made all the difference in keeping the suspense up.

I read Sharp Objects prior to GG and have yet to read Dark Places; Sharp Objects really freaked me out.

message 12: by CatWrangler (new)

CatWrangler | 57 comments Good. I hope I'll feel like you because I want to be freaked out. I need it. :)

message 13: by Beth (new)

Beth Roberts | 36 comments "Sharp Objects" definitely got under my skin, and it was my favorite of the three Flynn books. "Gone Girl" being my least favorite. Enjoy but do be aware that it starts put dark and stays that way. Flynn is not a "feel good" writer, which is why I like her.

message 14: by Erin (new)

Erin | 351 comments I'm just over a chapter in and I can definitely see how it will start to get creepy

message 15: by Shinjini (new)

Shinjini (shinjini14) | 292 comments I am going to start this later tonight and this discussion worries me. But I think I need some deliciously creepy as well.

message 16: by Vikki (new)

Vikki (silverstarz) | 1027 comments I'm about 5 chapters in so far, interested to see how everything is going to pan out through the rest of the book.
As a main character, I'm warming to camille more than I did to Libby in Dark Places which I read in January.

message 17: by Shinjini (new)

Shinjini (shinjini14) | 292 comments Oh I hated Libby! In fact, I hated all the characters in Dark Places. I finished it in December and it just left a bad taste in my mouth. I liked Gone Girl a lot though. I'm a little wary about how this one is going to make me feel. Hopefully, it's going to be a good one.

message 18: by ♦Ashley♦ (new)

♦Ashley♦ | 1131 comments I'm excited to start this one. I have to finish up my other book first. I thought Gone Girl was really boring until the last 3rd of the book. I liked Dark Places, but it was still just ok. I hope Sharp Objects knocks it out of the park for me:)

message 19: by Beth (new)

Beth Roberts | 36 comments I never warmed up to or felt any empathy towards the characters in "Gone Girl." Libby in "Dark Places" was better but she was definitely looking for the easy way out. I actually think she represented a certain segment of the population who tends to feel their personal sufferings lends to a monetary equivalent in sympathy.

Camille. Camille has her reasons.

message 20: by Shilpa (new)

Shilpa | 140 comments I'm in.. will start in 2-3 days! :)

message 21: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 3273 comments Ema wrote: "I've read Gone Girl but don't feel like watching the movie. I was about to but changed my mind. I guess I just don't want to get disappointed.

I have a good feeling about Sharp Objects, though.Eve..."

Ema - this is one instance where, for me anyway, the movie was better than the book - I loved loved the movie and it really followed the book quite well. But I didn't even like the book.

message 22: by Kelsi (new)

Kelsi | 1110 comments I will join in! Will be starting today.

message 23: by Erin (new)

Erin | 351 comments I'm in the middle of chapter 3 I think (maybe 2...) and (view spoiler)

message 24: by Joi (new)

Joi | 663 comments I'm going to start this book in a couple of minutes.

message 25: by Joi (new)

Joi | 663 comments I just made it to chapter 2 and it's taking me a minute to get into it.

message 26: by Joi (new)

Joi | 663 comments I'm on Chapter 3 and I'm not enjoying it so far.(view spoiler)

message 27: by Vikki (new)

Vikki (silverstarz) | 1027 comments I finished it this morning - I'll save my comments until you guys get a chance to read a bit more! Of the 3 books, for me, camille has been the most likeable of the main characters.

message 28: by Erin (last edited Feb 02, 2015 06:04AM) (new)

Erin | 351 comments This is the second Gillian Flynn book I've read (the first being Gone Girl) and she's very good at hooking me into a story despite not liking any of the characters

message 29: by Erin (new)

Erin | 351 comments At the end of chapter 12 (view spoiler)

message 30: by Erin (new)

Erin | 351 comments Just finished it and man was it a roller coaster of a read. It was disturbing as all get out but I still liked it

message 31: by Vikki (new)

Vikki (silverstarz) | 1027 comments I have a few discussion questions in the back of my copy if anyone is interested I can post them up here?

message 32: by Joi (new)

Joi | 663 comments I'm a little slow, I wasn't enjoying it at first....but I just got to chapter 6 and....boy did that throw me.!

I think I'm not enjoying it because the characters are just so....unlikable. I don't like Camille at all.

message 33: by ♦Ashley♦ (new)

♦Ashley♦ | 1131 comments I just started this last night.
(view spoiler)

message 34: by Joi (new)

Joi | 663 comments (view spoiler)

message 35: by Shinjini (new)

Shinjini (shinjini14) | 292 comments Sure, Vikki! Please post them!

I am in chapter 5 right now, taking it a little slow as Gillian Flynn's brand of violence does take some time for me to go through but I'm liking it so far. There are some elements that are coming together. This book seems deliciously creepy. I'm enjoying it. The characters are not very likable but I want to see where this is going.

And now let me see about that Chapter 6...

message 36: by Joi (last edited Feb 07, 2015 10:24AM) (new)

Joi | 663 comments I just got to chapter 14 and...all i can say is what the world? (view spoiler)

message 37: by Joi (new)

Joi | 663 comments I finished it.!

message 38: by Kelsi (new)

Kelsi | 1110 comments Finished up to chapter 5

(view spoiler)

message 39: by RachelvlehcaR (new)

RachelvlehcaR (charminggirl) | 4364 comments I've started the book today and am half way through it.

I haven't read any of Flynn's other books. (Not true, I am about 1/4 into Gone Girl, which I like a lot--well so far).

I have noticed a lot of people really don't like her books. It's for sure the characters. I know of like how dark and messed up the characters are.

I really feel bad for Camille, (view spoiler)

message 40: by RachelvlehcaR (new)

RachelvlehcaR (charminggirl) | 4364 comments Ashley ♦Sugar & Spice♦ wrote: "I just started this last night.
[spoilers removed]"

LOL, I had a friend in middle school. She looked so strange because of her eyes. When she was bored she would, (view spoiler)

message 41: by Joi (new)

Joi | 663 comments RachelvlehcaR wrote: "I've started the book today and am half way through it.

I haven't read any of Flynn's other books. (Not true, I am about 1/4 into Gone Girl, which I like a lot--well so far).

I have noticed ..."

I don't think that that is only relative to the 80's and 90's. (view spoiler)

message 42: by RachelvlehcaR (new)

RachelvlehcaR (charminggirl) | 4364 comments Yes, but it was very popular then. Very popular.

message 43: by ♦Ashley♦ (new)

♦Ashley♦ | 1131 comments RachelvlehcaR wrote: "Ashley ♦Sugar & Spice♦ wrote: "I just started this last night.
[spoilers removed]"

LOL, I had a friend in middle school. She looked so strange because of her eyes. When she was bored she would, ..."

ugh...I don't think think I could handle it.

message 44: by Vikki (last edited Feb 08, 2015 11:29AM) (new)

Vikki (silverstarz) | 1027 comments Joi wrote: "RachelvlehcaR wrote: "I've started the book today and am half way through it.

I haven't read any of Flynn's other books. (Not true, I am about 1/4 into Gone Girl, which I like a lot--well so fa..."

I agree that's it's still relevant today. What does anyone think about (view spoiler)

I also reached the same conclusion as camille but was wording if it felt too obvious then. Although I wasn't totally surprised with the ending. (view spoiler)

message 45: by Vikki (new)

Vikki (silverstarz) | 1027 comments Shinjini wrote: "Sure, Vikki! Please post them!

I am in chapter 5 right now, taking it a little slow as Gillian Flynn's brand of violence does take some time for me to go through but I'm liking it so far. There ar..."

I'll grab my copy & post them up later tonight. Don't have the book handy at the moment.

message 46: by Nancy (new)

Nancy (nancyhelen) | 1469 comments I'm going to jump in here too. I started this last week and I have found it quite slow so far. I enjoyed Gone Girl, although I did read it long before the film so it was still a real surprise. But I remember hearing about Gillian Flynn on a podcast and they were saying that she had an uncanny ability to create characters which started out well, but were so nasty...

I am up to Chapter 8 and I still haven't warmed to Camille so far. But then in comparison to her mother, Adora and worse, her half-sister, Amma. I mean, she is evil!

message 47: by Nancy (new)

Nancy (nancyhelen) | 1469 comments Vikki wrote: "Joi wrote: "RachelvlehcaR wrote: "I've started the book today and am half way through it.

I haven't read any of Flynn's other books. (Not true, I am about 1/4 into Gone Girl, which I like a lot..."

I was really stunned by the fact that Camille (view spoiler)

message 48: by RachelvlehcaR (new)

RachelvlehcaR (charminggirl) | 4364 comments NancyHelen wrote: "Vikki wrote: "Joi wrote: "RachelvlehcaR wrote: "I've started the book today and am half way through it.

I haven't read any of Flynn's other books. (Not true, I am about 1/4 into Gone Girl, whic..."

You totally have something there NancyHelen. (view spoiler)

message 49: by Vikki (last edited Feb 08, 2015 03:09PM) (new)

Vikki (silverstarz) | 1027 comments I agree with your comments about that linking in with her job as a journalist too. I also think it's telling that (view spoiler)

message 50: by Vikki (new)

Vikki (silverstarz) | 1027 comments Here's a few of the questions I mentioned in my copy of the book.

Do you think there's any significance to the letter A in this book - think of camille's family in particular.

(view spoiler)

« previous 1 3