Audiobooks discussion

Archives > What happened to James Clavell?

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Karlton (new)

Karlton (karltonst) | 54 comments I was going to read Tai-Pan this month and it's gone. I noticed that Shogun is there (now read by a new author - Ralph Lister). The preview sounds great.

Will he be reading the rest of the books?
Will we finally get an unabridged version of Whirlwind?

message 2: by Kristie (new)

Kristie | 2212 comments I'm curious to hear what you learn on this, Karlton. I bought Noble House not too long ago, so I wonder when this changed.

And a new narrator for Shogun wouldn't be a bad thing. I listened to David Case...eek. Not great.

message 3: by CatBookMom (last edited Jan 26, 2015 04:28PM) (new)

CatBookMom | 1082 comments I noticed Clavell books missing sometime in the last couple of weeks, too. Could only find David Case's Shogun (which I couldn't stand).

The Ralph Lister audio of Shōgun (listening to it right this minute) is dated 1/23/15, which was Friday. And it's pretty good. This makes me think/hope there's been a re-recording effort of Clavell's books going on, and the other new editions will be showing up soon.

I may be just about to spend the first credit of 2015.

message 4: by Theresa~OctoberLace (last edited Jan 31, 2015 10:04PM) (new)

Theresa~OctoberLace (octoberlace) | 16 comments I checked Blackstone Audio, and they do seem to have Clavell's books lined up for new editions.

http://www.blackstonelibrary.com/cata...

message 5: by Karlton (new)

Karlton (karltonst) | 54 comments Thanks!

message 6: by Karlton (new)

Karlton (karltonst) | 54 comments And crap. Escape, the abridged version of Whirlwind, is being carted out again.

message 7: by Kristie (new)

Kristie | 2212 comments I see Downpour is offering the new narration of Shogun as a rental for $7.95, FYI.

message 8: by Michael (last edited Feb 03, 2015 02:42PM) (new)

Michael (mobe1969) | 463 comments Yeah it is odd that they all disappeared. I'd have liked Noble House. I can't understand why they re-record them too.

Their Len Deighton books all disappeared too. It is an utter tragedy you can't get those fantastic Bernard Sampson books. But like Clavell they are for some bizarre reason restarting and re-recording them all (but under Harper). What was wrong with the prior recordings? Nothing.

message 9: by Hunchback Jack (new)

Hunchback Jack | 545 comments Michael, you and i seem to have an uncannily similar taste in books.

The Bernard Samson books are fantastic. I've listened to one or two of them on audio, and agree they were well done.

message 10: by James (new)

James Joyce (james_patrick_joyce) | 3 comments Michael wrote: "What was wrong with the prior recordings? Nothing."

While I'm not current on the specifics you are talking about, it sounds like it's a copyright issue. If it switched Houses, then the previous publishing house probably owns rights on the actual recording, if not the words.

message 11: by CatBookMom (new)

CatBookMom | 1082 comments Update: Tai-Pan has been re-issued as an Audible audiobook, read by Gildart Jackson, dated 3/18/15. Link to the Audible page: http://tinyurl.com/pf9j39u

message 12: by Kristie (new)

Kristie | 2212 comments CatBookMom wrote: "Update: Tai-Pan has been re-issued as an Audible audiobook, read by Gildart Jackson, dated 3/18/15. Link to the Audible page: http://tinyurl.com/pf9j39u"

Thanks, CatBookMom! I have the unavailable version still sitting in my wish list, waiting for a replacement, so now I can delete it. :) I'm curious about this one, since Hong Kong was my first international trip. I've got Noble House on my list coming up in the next couple weeks...we'll see how that goes before I invest in another Clavell.

message 13: by Karlton (new)

Karlton (karltonst) | 54 comments Awesome! That's the one I want.