2015 Reading Challenge [Closed] discussion

A Gate at the Stairs
This topic is about A Gate at the Stairs
. Week 9: Female Author > A Gate at the Stairs by Lorrie Moore

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Hannah Norman (hannahnorman) | 49 comments A Gate at the Stairs

I will be reading this novel this week. A friend recommended it for our book club and she always recommends great books. The reviews aren't that great, so I am interested to see what I think.

message 2: by Jenna (new) - added it

Jenna (jennywatts) Hannah, I am dying to know what you think. I was in the same situation with this book - Moore is a favorite short story writer of mine, but the reviews of this book were quite lackluster. If you read it, please advise!

Hannah Norman (hannahnorman) | 49 comments I am having a hard time getting through this book. I love descriptive writers, but she seems to be over the top. It is very slow going.

I haven't read any of her short stories so I am sorry that I will not be able to compare for you!

message 4: by Jenna (new) - added it

Jenna (jennywatts) I think some of the negative reviews I read also suggested the book was a bit of a slog..,sorry it's not moving along better! Maybe the short story is a better genre for her!

Hannah Norman (hannahnorman) | 49 comments I finally finished it! I am sorry to say that I really didn't like it. Too slow going and boring.

I feel as though I need to read her short stories to compare because as of right now I can't stand her as an author.