SFF Readalongs led by Kitty G discussion

The Red Knight (The Traitor Son Cycle, #1)
This topic is about The Red Knight

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Kaitlin (kool_kat_kitty) | 671 comments Mod
Discussion of Chapter 6 ONLY please, no spoilers for any other part of the book!

So I have just finished up chapter 5 and 6 (6 was a long one!) but I am now really loving this book. I feel like we have got to grips with the main characters now and I am finding that I like a few of them which is good and I'm interested or awed by the others.

I like the Red Knight now because of the way he's been handling the siege and preparing everyone. He's also got some awesome magic which we're steadily learning more about, and he's protecting a whole nunnery filled with magic nuns (a pretty awesome concept).
I liked the scenes where he was out facing the deamons and I felt like we got to see more of him over these chapters, especially when he shared some of his past with Amicia. I'm not sure if I care for their relationship as such, but I do like seeing their interactions even so.
Also I still love the quick-witted quips which he and the Abbess constantly throw at one another and I think she's a really awesome female character.

I am also intrigued by Harmodius and his plotline because not only have we now seen his power and the phantasm or deamon he conjured (which was awesome) but we've also discovered that he's been ensorcelled (what an awesome word!) and he may have been acting under someone else's influence when all of that happened. I did find his longing for the Queen a little bit odd, and I wonder now if that was just a side-effect of the sorcery or not.
Of course he's now off into the world away from the palace and so I wonder where his storyline will lead us and what powers and magics we will encounter as we follow him.

I'm also really liking the Queen even though we still don't know a massive amount about her. I know she's very formal and proper a lot of the time so all the men and ladies of the court admire her, but I liked seeing the scene where she took her hair down and raced everyone back to the Palace as I feel like that showed her youthfulness and her skill with controlling people around her and diffusing tension.

I'm intrigued by the story of Peter and what he may end up doing as he's been mentioned a few times but he's pretty much left out on his own at this point and I wonder where he'll go.

I'm also interested in how the Bear's story has continued as I thought maybe it was just an interlude or introduction to the Wild but it seems to be an ongoing story.

Thorn (the 'bad' guy) certainly seems to have ramped up his game here with the attack on Albinkirk and the smaller attack on Lissen Carak. I think he's certainly someone who knows an awful lot about the magic and magical beasts of this world and his end game seems mysterious still (but I guess he wants to take over as much as possible).
I like his 'evil' and remorseless ways when it comes to the disposal of humans because it seems that he truly doesn't care about them and wants to dominate everything, thus creating a worthy enemy and bad-guy for the book.

I'm interested in how Jean de Vrailly is now with the King and I wonder if this will actually be a good or bad thing for the Kingdom. I don't know if the King fully understands what he's got himself into agreeing to fight him, because he's been such a great fighter before and owned everyone, so I wonder if that may be a problem between them.
He's another character who I don't trust at all because of how he's acted so far and I want to see if he really will fight the Wilds as he says or whether he will do his own thing and just seek to take the Kingdom off of the King in the end.

The irks and the boglins of the Wild were really interesting to hear about and I liked how the irk communicated with the Golden Bear for Bill Redmede (chap 5) I don't know who's side Bill is on but it's intriguing to see that some men seem to be in league with or helping the creatures of the Wild still.

There are a load of other characters I could also mention but I'll stop here for now, suffice to say I am really enjoying this book so far!

peggylovesbooks | 36 comments With this chapter a lot of things are happening.

When Harmodious started to realize someone might of put a spell on him. I'm think who could do it, his previous Master or could it be the Queen? Speaking of his Master, he turned traitor but his body was never found. Could he be this mysterious Thorn character?

Peter the slave, I wonder how his story will play out since he survived two attack from the wild.

With the wild starting to attack the humans, this was awesome, I could not put the book down when the fighting started.

The Red Knight, I want to know who is he, who is his family and why does he want people to think he is a bastard.

peggylovesbooks | 36 comments Kaitlin wrote: "So I have just finished up chapter 5 and 6 (6 was a long one!) but I am now really loving this book. I feel like we have got to grips with the main characters now and I am finding that I like a few..."

I agree with you about the relationship between the Red Knight and Amicia. I have some doubts about her, could she be the traitor?

Peggy wrote: "Kaitlin wrote: "So I have just finished up chapter 5 and 6 (6 was a long one!) but I am now really loving this book. I feel like we have got to grips with the main characters now and I am finding t..."

Very possible... She's a strange one for sure!