SFF Readalongs led by Kitty G discussion

Deadhouse Gates (Malazan Book of the Fallen, #2)
This topic is about Deadhouse Gates

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Kaitlin (kool_kat_kitty) | 671 comments Mod
Discussion of Chapter 8 ONLY please, no spoilers for any other part of the book!

message 2: by Paul (last edited Feb 17, 2015 12:04PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Paul (paul_sff) | 68 comments Why not add a ghost ship in the story? lol.
I am having a hard time with Kulp's crew and figuring out who is who. I know that Truth is the younger one. Gesler and Stormy are there too. I don't know if Gesler is in charge or Kulp.

Anyway, I've grown tired of Felisin's remarks towards Baudin and Heboric. They just need to throw her over board.

I loved the end of the chapter with Icarium, Mappo, Fiddler, Pust, Crokus, and Aspalar. I cannot wait until Icarium gets his memories back because there are so many foreshadows that he is this important and powerful guy but just doesn't know it. The Azath/Tremelor quest is going to be awesome! Also, how cool is that word Tremelor, I love it!

Kaitlin (kool_kat_kitty) | 671 comments Mod
Tremelor is indeed a pretty cool sounding word Paul! And I too am really excited now that we have a semblance of the aim for this book and what our group is headed for.

I did love the addition of a ghost ship, as you say, why not? It seems like over the course of this series we are steadily adding in all sorts of awesome, crazy and cool aspects and a ghostly ship is just another of those elements!

I do totally understand your thoughts on the Kulp crew as I too have a little bit of a hard time sorting out who is who in my head. I don't know who's in command technically, but Kulp and Gesler both seem interesting in their own way.

Felisin is certainly annoying and it's strange how her personality has flipped from someone we felt for before to someone who we now don't like and wish she was just cast off. I wonder if her story will continue with the Kulp lot or if she will find herself on her own journey?

As for Aspalar, Pust, Crokus, Fiddler, Mappo and Icarium I really like the way things are shaping up with their group and I also think there's a lot more to Icarium than initially meets the eye.

Hopefully some action will start to take place and the story will start to form up over the next few chapters and stop introducing characters and really start to build on those we have, but who knows!? :)

Evan | 67 comments Haha, the Silanda. This ship is an onion that will be several books in unraveling all the layers that go into it. But I remember when they discovered the severed Tiste Andii heads, it reminded me of the Head of the Navigator from The Secret of Monkey Island, a delightful adventure game from the 90's if you dig that sort of thing.

http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/m...

And then seeing all the headless rowers below is such a creepy image, I dig it alot. If the four Tiste Edur killed those Tiste Andii, then who killed them? Hum.

Paul wrote: "I am having a hard time with Kulp's crew and figuring out who is who. I know that Truth is the younger one. Gesler and Stormy are there too. I don't know if Gesler is in charge or Kulp."

I think there is a bit of a grey area here. I don't think a cadre mage and a sergeant have any particular authority over eachother. In this case though I half recall Kulp taking the lead.

Paul wrote: "I cannot wait until Icarium gets his memories back because there are so many foreshadows that he is this important and powerful guy but just doesn't know it."

Haha man, are you sure about that? Mappo seems pretty scared of this ever happening.