SFF Readalongs led by Kitty G discussion

Deadhouse Gates (Malazan Book of the Fallen, #2)
This topic is about Deadhouse Gates

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Kitty G Books (kool_kat_kitty) | 671 comments Mod
Discussion of Chapter 7 ONLY please, no spoilers for any other part of the book!

Alex Willis (fightingokra) | 71 comments This chapter has ruined Felisin for me. I had taken her as a survivor but she comes out of Chapter 7 a spoiled rich brat who is ignorant in the ways of the world. Now she is hating two men she should be embracing while still in love with the deadman that abused her. I have stopped caring if Felisin ever confronts her sister. She needs to do a lot to make me care again.

Moppo and Icarium admit they are most likely being used by the High Priest but keep going anyhow. These two meeting Fiddler, Crokus and Apsalar has a lot of possibilities adding a lot of intrigue to this story.

I must mention how useless Crokus has been throughout most of this book. The last few chapters have all been about Fiddler protecting the two young kids while Apsalar destroys men with her ingrained assassin skill. Crokus doesn't kill anyone and his character has lost the interest I had of him in GotM.

Paul (paul_sff) | 68 comments Yah, Felisin was a brat in this chapter.

I am pretty happy about Mappo and Icarium meeting Fiddler.

I agree with you about Crokus. He just doesn't have a lot to say either.

Baudin is becoming my favorite character. He is awesome. The scene with Heboric and his god was pretty cool and it'll be interesting.

Kitty G Books (kool_kat_kitty) | 671 comments Mod
Totally agree with the points you two have already made on this chapter. Felisin is so out, I hated seeing her in this chapter and she felt so nasty and bratty. I get that they are in a BAD situation, but still, if the others can stick it out and make do she should have too! I don't know how redeemable she is in my eyes, we'll see, but I don't think I'lll look forward to her sections as much any more.

I also liked the potential for the meeting of Apsalar and Crokus and Fiddler with Mappo and Icarium as I like all of those characters and certainly think they could become pretty awesome as a group. I do agree that Crokus has been a little useless recently, but I suppose he was only favoured by a God and has no real talents other than being a thief and sneaking around so maybe he will come into play if they need to steal something? He's not a great fighter or defender from the looks so far though.

Heboric is a really interesting character as Paul mentioned and I do like Baudin too. I certainly feel that they're handling things better than Felisin and I like them much more. I wonder how their story will eventually link with the others :D

I'm liking this book, but I keep having very little time to read it so I'm having a mini reading sprint atm to catch up!

Evan | 67 comments At this point in the story, around when Duiker is inspecting all that has been happening since the rebellion, it really felt like the apocalypse to me, the end of the world. That's the kind of feeling that usually gets reserved the endings of books, or much later in a book series, not book 2 out of 10. There is such a unnerving instillation of dread and fear in what Duiker sees.

Felisin (along with Baudin and Heboric) are on quite a journey. Remember that she is really little more than a child, and has endured some horrible things. I always took a sort of Patty Hearst-ism from her behavior here.

Heboric continues to seemingly lose his focus and become more aimless. In their travels they come across a jade statue rising from the sands. This thing is not insignificant. Heboric touches it with one of his stumps, which may or may not have been a smart move.

Hum, I'd forgotten the bit where Felisin goes through Baudin's things and finds a talon. I don't recall if the book (still going off chapter summaries here) gives this any special note, but it's definitely something interesting.

Oh right and when Baudin and Felisin call down Fener. I didn't really like how they used Heboric for that without his consent. And they don't really know what they've caused by doing that.

I think I remember in that scene with Fiddler and co with the D'ivers and such in the storm, that Fiddler falls of his horse and breaks his ankle was it? I remember him breaking something and I remember when reading it that it just really made me wince, hahaha.