Stephen King Fans discussion

The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay
Buddy Reads > The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay

Comments Showing 1-50 of 73 (73 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Kirstin (last edited Jan 28, 2015 05:29PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kirstin | 220 comments Buddy read of Michael Chabon's Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay. Starting sometime in February. The book is set up in parts so we'll read each part and then discuss. There will be spoilers. Anyone can join in. :)
So far it's

Kirstin
The Long Wait
Nick
Michael
Kandice

Michael Davis I'm not familiar with this book or this author, but I will look into it.

Nick Iuppa | 3947 comments Kirstin wrote: "Buddy read of Michael Chabon's Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay. Starting sometime in February. The book is set up in parts so we'll read each part and then discuss. There will be spoilers. ..."

I'm in.

Kirstin | 220 comments Michael wrote: "I'm not familiar with this book or this author, but I will look into it."

I'm not familiar with this author either Michael. A friend of mine lent it to me and told me he loved it. I'm curious because it's not a book I would choose for myself.

Kirstin | 220 comments Nick wrote: "Kirstin wrote: "Buddy read of Michael Chabon's Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay. Starting sometime in February. The book is set up in parts so we'll read each part and then discuss. There wi..."

Yay!

message 6: by Kandice (new) - added it

Kandice | 3915 comments I am almost positive they have a few copies of this in the library where I work. If so, I'll get it today and I'm in. I've heard really good things about it.

Jeff (thelongwait) | 293 comments Awesome! I am excited to have everybody on board!

Kirstin | 220 comments Kandice wrote: "I am almost positive they have a few copies of this in the library where I work. If so, I'll get it today and I'm in. I've heard really good things about it."

That's great! I hope you get it!

Michael Davis Purchased the ebook this evening. I'll try to stick with you guys. Looking forward to starting it.

Kirstin | 220 comments Michael wrote: "Purchased the ebook this evening. I'll try to stick with you guys. Looking forward to starting it."

Cool!

message 11: by Nick (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nick Iuppa | 3947 comments Just got the Kindle version. will start reading it tonight... while I listen to the audiobook of Weaveworld in my car.

message 12: by Jeff (new) - rated it 2 stars

Jeff (thelongwait) | 293 comments Ok...I am 50 pages in. Time for first impressions....no spoilers.

Chabon is a talented writer, though I feel that the first part of the book is a bit rushed.
Saying that, I am involved with the story and found myself sneaking in 10 pages in my office today.

Kirstin | 220 comments Glad you're liking it! I loved how his mom just raps him on the head and tells him to shove over so some weird guy can share his bed! Love the characters so far and the writing. I'm sad to leave part 1 because I enjoyed the story so much.

Michael Davis Part 1 was very enjoyable.  I love stories set in that era in New York City.  Well into Part 2 now.  I'm glad you guys recommended this book. This is my first Chabon work and I really like it so far.

message 15: by Jeff (new) - rated it 2 stars

Jeff (thelongwait) | 293 comments Yeah its been on my tbr shelf for a while. Hopefully my kids sleep well and I can get some more reading done.

message 16: by Kandice (new) - added it

Kandice | 3915 comments Michael wrote: "Part 1 was very enjoyable.  I love stories set in that era in New York City.  Well into Part 2 now.  I'm glad you guys recommended this book. This is my first Chabon work and I really like it so far."

My book club read his Wonder Boys and we universally hated it, but I've heard so many good things about this one that I am hoping WB was a fluke.

message 17: by Nick (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nick Iuppa | 3947 comments I like it a lot. They're back in New York, talking about the comic book business in the early days... quite a departure from the scenes in Prague. This feels more like non fiction... the style reminds me a little bit of Unbroken... at least for now. Josef is really impressive.

So, I'm reading this in the evening and listening to Weaveworld as I drive. Weird.

Kirstin | 220 comments I agree, Nick. Josef is such a cool guy! And it does read like a memoire. I'm liking this much more than I thought I would!

Is anyone a comic book fan? I read Archie books as a kid but I never got into the superheroes.

Michael Davis I'm not into comic books at all, unless you count things like Calvin and Hobbes and Bloom County.

Kirstin | 220 comments I loved those! As a kid I did have all the Far Side and Bloom County books. Calvin and Hobbes too. I guess we used to buy Mad Magazine...:)

message 21: by Nick (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nick Iuppa | 3947 comments I liked comics, still do, and I include graphic novels when I say that. The graphic novels of the Dark Tower Series are especially good. Back in the day I liked the Disney stuff of course; also some super heroes: Captain Marvel, Plastic Man, Tales from the Crypt, Classic Illustrated. Menga Comics, and even some adult Comix.

message 22: by Nick (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nick Iuppa | 3947 comments Whenever I travel overseas I try to buy European comics. I have the complete Divine Comedy - a pretty serious treatment if you can believe it - starring Mickey Mouse. I'm not an expert, through. I don't know much about Batman or Superman's early comic appearances, even though, supposedly that's where the treasure lies. And until a few years ago, when I was working on a project for the army and needed some images, I never read military comics.

message 23: by Jeff (new) - rated it 2 stars

Jeff (thelongwait) | 293 comments I have never been into comics, though I do enjoy the show Comic Book Men on AMC.

Kirstin | 220 comments Nick wrote: "Whenever I travel overseas I try to buy European comics. I have the complete Divine Comedy - a pretty serious treatment if you can believe it - starring Mickey Mouse. I'm not an expert, through. I ..."

Wow! Mickey Mouse goes to hell? That's crazy! Although, Fantasia has it's dark moments...I do know Superman was a Canadian invention and everyone thinks of Metropolis as based on New York when it's actually Toronto. :)

Michael Davis I didn't know about the Toronto thing. That is really cool. I always liked Toronto and New York too.
Nick, I would love to see the Dark Tower graphic novels. Is the whole series available? Who writes them?

message 26: by Nick (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nick Iuppa | 3947 comments Michael wrote: "I didn't know about the Toronto thing. That is really cool. I always liked Toronto and New York too.
Nick, I would love to see the Dark Tower graphic novels. Is the whole series available? Who..."

The Dark Tower Graphic Novel series is produced by Marvel. The creators are listed as Stephen King, Robin Furth, Peter David (Marvel staff writer) Jae Lee (Illustrator) Richard Isanove (Colorist). The first volume is called The Gunslinger Born and it is basically the story of Susan Del Gato from Wizard and Glass. The Dark Tower, Volume 1 The Gunslinger Born by Robin Furth

message 27: by Nick (last edited Feb 07, 2015 10:40PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nick Iuppa | 3947 comments Nick wrote: "Michael wrote: "I didn't know about the Toronto thing. That is really cool. I always liked Toronto and New York too.
Nick, I would love to see the Dark Tower graphic novels. Is the whole series..."

Looks like there are 10 volumes. I only have the first 5. Even though the story seems wildly out of order, chronologically the susan story happens very early in the timeline. There's also a volume on The Little Sisters of Eluria Dark Tower The Gunslinger The Little Sisters of Eluria by Robin Furth .

Michael Davis I appreciate the info Nick and will look into them. I still haven't finished the Dark Tower series yet. I've been taking my time with it and plan to read the last two books this year sometime.
Kavalier and Clay is going well. I've really enjoyed it so far.

message 29: by Jeff (new) - rated it 2 stars

Jeff (thelongwait) | 293 comments I just finished part one and also enjoy it. I have been reading a ton of Postmodern novels lately so it's nice to read as story that's simply a story and not layered with symbolism. Chabon writes well....now let's hope he doesn't mess it up lol

message 30: by Nick (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nick Iuppa | 3947 comments I'm very well into this, and I'm having a hard time believing that it isn't a true story. Everything I've read about the book tells me it's not, which makes the achievement even more amazing.

Kirstin | 220 comments I'm so impressed so far! To go back to part 1... Page 58 in the paperback. I had highlighted the paragraph that started..."Josef felt a bloom of dread in his belly..." This is such a simple but powerful passage! Incredible writing. Haunting.

Has anyone read or seen Everything is Illuminated?

Also, did anyone else have their heart in their throats when the nazi wanted to open the coffin to steal the Golem's suit? That was intense. I think this book may make me cry at some point. I'm really hoping that Thomas will get to New York.

message 32: by Nick (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nick Iuppa | 3947 comments Kirstin wrote: "I'm so impressed so far! To go back to part 1... Page 58 in the paperback. I had highlighted the paragraph that started..."Josef felt a bloom of dread in his belly..." This is such a simple but pow..."

That's the key to the work, simple but powerful. I thought part one was very strong, different from later parts which are still very good but in different ways. As for Thomas in New York.... up until you mentioned it I didn't think it was possible. But so far at least I think it is.

message 33: by Nick (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nick Iuppa | 3947 comments Just got my paperback of the book so now I can see where I am in the e-book. It's probably a waste of money but I just can't cross reference different parts of an e-book. Anyway, I'm about half way through. I especially like the descriptions of the comic book stories as they are first created... especially (right around the middle of the book) Miss Judy Dark. Shows how versatile the author is in his writing style.

message 34: by Nick (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nick Iuppa | 3947 comments About Thomas (view spoiler)

Kirstin | 220 comments Nick wrote: "About Thomas [spoilers removed]"

Nick(view spoiler)

Kirstin | 220 comments TheLongWait wrote: "I just finished part one and also enjoy it. I have been reading a ton of Postmodern novels lately so it's nice to read as story that's simply a story and not layered with symbolism. Chabon writes w..."

No messing up so far. :)

message 37: by Jeff (new) - rated it 2 stars

Jeff (thelongwait) | 293 comments Great! Going to try to make some headway this week! My 9 month old son was in the hospital this weekend, but he is home and much better now:-)

Kirstin | 220 comments Sorry to hear that. It's such a scare when they're little! Glad to hear he's better. My daughter was at the doctor last week and between her not feeling well and shifts at work I'm not getting very far in my books either. It's basically whatever I can squeeze in before my eyes close at night.

message 39: by Jeff (new) - rated it 2 stars

Jeff (thelongwait) | 293 comments That's about how I am.... couple of nights I've been falling asleep with books in my lap on the couch

Michael Davis Glad your little one is better. My reading has slowed during the week. I'm still getting through Part 3. Joe is a fascinating character isn't he?

message 41: by Nick (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nick Iuppa | 3947 comments TheLongWait wrote: "Great! Going to try to make some headway this week! My 9 month old son was in the hospital this weekend, but he is home and much better now:-)"

Wow, sorry to hear about your 9 month old... really a scary time. Hope all is getting better.

message 42: by Jeff (new) - rated it 2 stars

Jeff (thelongwait) | 293 comments Thanks for all your concerns! He is getting tubes put in his ears on Thursday so we hope that will clear up what's been going on.

I am getting through Part 2 and I am finding Joe to indeed be fascinating though I could use more Sam.

Kirstin | 220 comments I was thinking the same thing. Hopefully we'll be getting the amazing adventures of Clay soon(not too soon though, I am loving Josef) :)

Kirstin | 220 comments Well into part 3 now and I don't understand how the word 'boring' shows up in so many reviews for this book. Joe, in particular, is always doing something interesting. I loved the (view spoiler)

I'm very interested in finding out how much of this book is based on real life.

TLW - I hope everything went well on Thursday.

message 45: by Jeff (new) - rated it 2 stars

Jeff (thelongwait) | 293 comments Kristin...
it did go well thanks! He's super happy and his congestion is way down. I am almost to part 3....

Kirstin | 220 comments TheLongWait wrote: "Kristin...
it did go well thanks! He's super happy and his congestion is way down. I am almost to part 3...."

Glad to hear it. :)

message 47: by Nick (last edited Feb 15, 2015 02:49PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nick Iuppa | 3947 comments Okay, I don't quite know how to do this bit of foreshadowing subtly, but... Part 4, THE GOLDEN AGE, Chapter 14. DAMN! (view spoiler)

Kirstin | 220 comments Nick wrote: "Okay, I don't quite no how to do this bit of foreshadowing subtly, but... Part 4, THE GOLDEN AGE, Chapter 14. DAMN! [spoilers removed]"

Holy crap! I just started that chapter. Oh no! Part 4 has been very interesting! We're getting to see more of Sam, that's for sure! ;) now I have to go get through this chapter.

Kirstin | 220 comments (view spoiler)

Kirstin | 220 comments This book just keeps taking the most unexpected twists and turns! I made it to part 6. I can't wait to see what you all think! Crazy.

« previous 1