This topic is about A Clockwork Orange
Books 2015 > February - A Clockwork Orange

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jodez, Jiggly (new) - rated it 2 stars

Jodez (jodez4) | 58 comments Mod

message 2: by Shaun, Putz (new) - rated it 2 stars

Shaun (ohnoanotherputz) | 58 comments Mod
Finally, perhaps I will understand the jokes surrounding the Clockwork Grapefruit! (I've never even watched the movie)

message 3: by Shaun, Putz (new) - rated it 2 stars

So the language used in the book is easily the most memorable thing about it. It is a huge barrier to entry for it. There are well over 100 slang words used, and I just felt like it was too much. Does every single body part need a slang word? And I get why the slang was used, but I am not sure if I agree with it. When you have these people doing horrible horrible things, using a bunch of slang can lessen the blow. I certainly wouldn't enjoy reading a detailed account of 10 year olds being raped, however, by using the slang it totally lessons the impact of that. Is this a good thing? I don't know.

Anyway, the book is about the notion of choice. Of being able to do good or evil based on our own internal compass and not because we are just programmed to do it. Do we have free will? But it seems to explore it in terms of Alex being programmed to do good. But... why did he do bad in the first place? Why was he this murderous rapist at age 15? Am I supposed to take away that he was programmed by society to be a monster? I don't know... it didn't feel like it. It just felt like he was this villain because... that is how he was written to be. Then he was programmed not to be and I guess I am supposed to be feeling sympathy because his free will was taken away? But I generally don't know how his decision making processes worked anyway.

I find it interesting that the original American edition of the book did not have the final chapter of the book. Publishers decided to end after "They cured me alright" (paraphrasing.) And it feels really unfinished at that point. However, the final chapter, I dunno... So he just gets bored of being evil? Being violent is a thing of youth and you grow out of it? What? Why does he no longer want to steal and rob and murder? What drives him? I never know. It honestly just feels like, "meh, murdering is boring now, maybe I'll get married." Also the meeting with his old droog feels weird. His wife is all like "teehee, he talks funny." when she should be like "teehee, that guy murdered an old lady, raped a coupe of preteens, and seriously injured countless others!"

So yeah.. this wasn't exactly my favorite book. I feel like it is so memorable (for good or bad) because of the language. Like, lets say it was competently written, the exact same story, but in readable English, would anyone care? I doubt it.

message 4: by Shaun, Putz (new) - rated it 2 stars

Also, I found a slang translator for this book and have composed my final thoughts on the language.
A clockwork orange uses bezoomy slang slovos in it so when someone tolchoks a veck in the litso and clops out his zoobies it doesn't zvook so violent. I mean krovvy an be pouring out of a guys plott and you can chop off his gulliver and have the krovvy really spewing and covering a malchicks glazzies as he has in-out-in-out with a malenky devotchka and it just doesn't zvook that baddiwad, you know shlapa I mean?

message 5: by Jodez, Jiggly (new) - rated it 2 stars

Jodez (jodez4) | 58 comments Mod
So this is what I wrote in my review... (for those of you who can't see my reviews) 2/5 stars

I fail to see why there is so much love for this book...

It's a coming of age story, it has 'fancy' slang and controversial topics. Great! But I didn't feel as though there was much meaning behind it. Alex didn't learn his lesson, he simply 'grew up'... WHAT?

I don't feel there was any sort of guilt, regret or remorse on Alex's part for the crimes he committed. He blamed everyone else around him for his behaviour and his capture, but didn't stop to think about why he wanted to do those things, or why his 'droogs' would turn on him in such a way. Narcissist? in my experience most likely.

The morals of the doctors doing the conditioning weren't much better. At no point before the 'treatment' was Alex told what to expect (though this may be because Alex didn't read the paperwork?), Which also had me wondering if they would have actually needed his parents permission to perform such treatment on a minor.

And of course being used for political means as well, from both sides of the argument. I'll stop before I go on a big political rant.

I felt the slang was over the top, and in parts childish (yes, I know Alex was just a child himself so for the most part I'll let that slide), to the point that I really struggled through the first few pages, until I got the hang of it.

I'm glad I read it, because it's always on the 'everyone should read' lists, but, as I said, I still fail to see why.

Also, I'm now wondering what JD has against my hair with all those luscious glory bricks...