The Black Library discussion

Black Library > Skarsnik

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Adam (new)

Adam Jones (spruegrey) | 7 comments I picked up Skarsnik on a dare (if such a think exists with Warhammer novels). There was a long plane ride ahead of me as well as another boring week in Canberra.
I had low expectations of the book honestly. Goblins have never been that exciting and I wasn't sure how the story would be written. Let me tell you that I was sadly mistaken and would warn others against making the same assumption.
The book is a riveting tale of one small Goblin's rise to power told in a most interesting fashion. At this point, I honestly don't want to give too much detail to spoil the story.
I will say that Skarsnik is a vile and evil little bastard and the book helps to reinforce the utter evil that Goblins really are. As a gamer I dismiss the Goblin race as comic relief; Skarsnik will change that. They are a race of lunatics driven by crazy sadistic urges. Their lives are often short and incredibly brutal. I have to admit that amongst the army of vicious little buggers I was still rooting for Skarsnik as the anti-protagonist ... an antagonist with no protagonist to go up against? Except for the rest of his race trying to kill or beat him into submission.
http://amzn.to/1ygeSHY (if you're interested)

message 2: by Marc (last edited Jan 28, 2015 08:11AM) (new)

Marc Jones | 36 comments Adam wrote: "I picked up Skarsnik on a dare (if such a think exists with Warhammer novels). There was a long plane ride ahead of me as well as another boring week in Canberra.
I had low expectations of the book..."

Had me rooting for the little guy all the way, love a good underdog story but that ending just a low blow to remind you that no matter how like-able a goblin may be, hes still a goblin.

You could give Headtaker a try, the skaven are always entertaining and queek is pretty much the most unhinged character to ever walk the old world.

message 3: by Dylan (new)

Dylan Murphy | 104 comments Adam wrote: "I picked up Skarsnik on a dare (if such a think exists with Warhammer novels). There was a long plane ride ahead of me as well as another boring week in Canberra.
I had low expectations of the book..."

It's on my list, though I always found the Or(c/k)s/ goblins of both fantasy and 40k to be much less comical in Black Library fiction.

message 4: by Adam (new)

Adam Jones (spruegrey) | 7 comments I will definitely give Headtaker a look. I am a long time Skaven player, and it's remiss of me to not have read about one of their most illustrious characters. Although after the last End Times book ....

message 5: by Dawie (new)

Dawie | 34 comments I just finnished Skarsnik aswell, realy enjoyed reading it. The chapters weren't drawn out and alot happend in a short amount of pages. Haley did a good job in writing it. Im no expert in Warhamer the game appart from the pc games that Ive played, but I realy find joy in reading everything Warhammer.