2015: The Year of Reading Women discussion

C's > Eleanor Catton

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lily (new)

Lily (joy1) | 227 comments Am I missing an entry? With the interest already expressed in New Zealand, I expected Eleanor Catton's name would be here already.

Her The Luminaries was winner of the 2013 Man Booker Prize.

I am in the process of reading it for my February, 2015, f2f club and would enjoy sharing thoughts about it here with anyone else interested. Otherwise, someone might want to schedule it more formally later in the year.

Literary Multitudes (literary_multitudes) | 60 comments Another author I'm interested in! :)

I don't think I'll tackle "The Luminaries" this year - so many books on my list! - , but I have The Rehearsal on my shelf, which is much shorter and looks like an interesting read.

message 3: by Dharmakirti (new)

Dharmakirti | 52 comments I recently finished The Luminaries and I really liked it. I loved the large cast of well developed characters, the mystery, the structure, the setting and the prose style. Since I have no knowlege of astrology, those aspects of the novel were lost on me.

I would love to read The Rehearsal.

message 4: by Lily (last edited Jan 29, 2015 09:11AM) (new)

Lily (joy1) | 227 comments Dharmakirti wrote: "I recently finished The Luminaries and I really liked it. I loved the large cast of well developed characters, the mystery, the structure, the setting and the prose style. Since I..."

Do you have a Goodreads review, Dharmakirti? If so, would you give us a link?

I am reading The Luminaries in parallel with Joyce's Ulysses, and I must say, what a contrast! So far I agree with your comments about cast, mystery,... I'm only about 20% into the novel yet. It is pleasure reading.

message 5: by Dharmakirti (last edited Jan 30, 2015 06:25AM) (new)

Dharmakirti | 52 comments Lily wrote: "Do you have a Goodreads review, Dharmakirti? If so, would you give us a link?

I am reading The Luminaries in parallel with Joyce's Ulysses, and I must say, what a contrast! So far I agree with your comments about cast, mystery,... I'm only about 20% into the novel yet. It is pleasure reading.

Reading Ulysses in parallel with The Luminaries? That's like listening to classical music and then immediately swithcing to some crazy free jazz. I commend you!

I do not have a review of The Luminaries. If I can manage to get something together (I'm not very good at writing reviews), I will post a link here.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Rehearsal (other topics)
The Luminaries (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Eleanor Catton (other topics)