Magick and Occult Books discussion

Qabalah (Kabbalah + Cabala) > What titles do you suggest for learning Qabalah (and the other spellings)?

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sylvia Beckett (new)

Sylvia Beckett Davidson (sylviabdavidson) | 56 comments Mod
I personally follow a hermetic way of teaching. What about you?

I would recommend Israel Regardie and Dion Fortune to begin.

message 2: by Dale (last edited Jan 25, 2015 04:39PM) (new)

Dale Richmond | 19 comments Dion Fortune's The Mystical Qabalah was really great. I credit her for really helping me get a basic knowledge of the Tree of Life and how magic and Qabalah work together.

message 3: by Alex Sumner (new)

Alex Sumner | 8 comments I'll add my endorsement to The Mystical Qabalah - that was I think my second book on the subject and is still my favourite to this day. My first was Will Parfitt's book which poo-pooed Dion Fortune for being old-fashioned! :-/

As for Regardie, I will always venerate The Golden Dawn: The Original Account of the Teachings, Rites, and Ceremonies of the Hermetic Order, but I don't seem to like the books he wrote himself! The honourable exception being The Middle Pillar.

message 4: by Sylvia Beckett (new)

I agree with Dion Fortune! I started reading 'The Mystical Qabalah' a while back, but only recently bought a hard copy. Fabulous!

message 5: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Watt (abwatt) | 2 comments John Michael Greer has two volumes — Circles of Wisdom, and Paths of Power, which I quite like. I know he's not everybody's favorite... He has been a huge influence on me, though.

I'm also quite fond of Dion Fortune. I've read a lot of William Gray and R.J. Stewart, too, although neither of them is a mainstream Qabalist.

message 6: by Sylvia Beckett (new)

I've heard of Greer but not read anything by him. My reading wish list is horrendously long! Hahaha XD

message 7: by Arturo (new)

Arturo Gil | 20 comments Hermetic Qabalah: A Foundation In the Art of Magick

The Hermetic Qabala Initiation Workbook

both by Ordo Astri's Oliver St. John. Concise, structured and to the point. It's tables of correspondences are extremely useful. Plus, the author is very approachable and helpful with any questions that arise when working the system.

Promethea by Alan Moore, does a fine job communicating the main underlying concepts from the Qabalah in graphic novel form. A fun ride up and down the Tree of Life.

I have scanned quickly Anita Kraft's

The Qabalah Workbook for Magicians: A Guide to the Sephiroth

Looks pretty useful. I intend to read it as soon as possible.

Oliver St. John recommended to me "A Practical Guide to Qabalistic Symbolism (Two Volumes in One Book) " by Gareth Knight, as an excellent reference volume. Worth checking out.

message 8: by Sylvia Beckett (new)

Alan Moore is an amazing person!

message 9: by Davin (last edited Feb 05, 2015 03:43PM) (new)

Davin Raincloud (davinraincloud) | 4 comments I want to mention my start into Qabballah etc. Surprisingly enough the online Wicca School "Magicka" has courses on Wiccan and Kaballah, and they go into depth with regards to Crowley, the Sepiroth, and it's relation to the Tarot etc.

I think for a raw beginner, these courses are quite good. Their Tarot courses taught me the intersection of numerology, astrological signs, and Kabbalah in the Tarot symbology.

http://magickaschool.com/