Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Group Read Books - archive > The Girl on the Train - Chapter segment #4 Page 269 Rachel - the last nine chapters Spoilers welcome

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14306 comments ok, this is the last chapter segment, to the end of the book.
If the first poster(s) could attempt to summarize and maybe use the dates and times that are part of the text that would be helpful. This book is hard to break into segments.

message 2: by Ann (last edited Jan 30, 2015 10:54PM) (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14306 comments These are the last nine or ten chapters by name Summarized below:
Chapter 29 Rachel (Page 269)
Rachel's memories finally break through past the lies and abuse that Tom poured onto her making her doubt everything. But now who will believe her.

Chapter 30 Anna (Page 272)
Anna gets rid of the phone in the middle of the night with Tom breathing down her neck...

Chapter 31 Rachel (Page 274)
Rachel goes to save Anna and Evie. I can think of no other explanation for her going to Tom and Anna's house. One must wish that she could go to the police rather than doing this on her own, but I understand why she can't go to the police. They wouldn't believe her, and while Anna doesn't want to, the evidence piled up along with the phone she found in Tom's bag chips away at her resolve.

Chapter 32 Anna (Page 276)
Anna's life of a happy marriage crumbles as Rachel confronts her in the garden, and then Tom appears.

Chapter 33 Megan (Page 283)
Kamal's advice and counsel are on Megan's mind as she feels her baby and starts to plan a future where she could be a good mother, and might build a life with one of the men in her life. Megan is quite sympathetic in this revealing chapter.

Chapter 34 Rachel (Page 294)
Tom might have still had hope that he was going to skate by and nothing would happen to him, but Rachel finds a strength we had been watching build and confronts him. Anna isn't appearing to do much to assist Rachel and feels contempt for her even as her own life and blinders crumble.

Chapter 35 Megan (Page 301)
Megan's talk with Tom goes badly awry. I found it sad to consider that when she got her own act together and decided to "come clean" and get everything out in the open where everyone knew were they stood, including walking away from Tom but letting him know and giving him the option of joining her she once again like with Scott misunderstood the potential for violence. I was heart broken to hear what happened to her in this chapter that reveals her last moments.

Chapter 36 Rachel (Page 304)
Tom's raving explanation to Rachel of the reason that "it is all Rachel's fault" that he had to kill Megan. This counterpoint to Megan's side of the attack is chilling. And part of the chill comes from Anna's seeming passivity and possible acceptance of his actions. If she does, she is crazy.

Chapter 37 Anna (Page 311)
I was starting to despair that Anna would have a heart (finally) and stand up to Tom and call the police. and yet here she is on the stairs waiting for the right moment with phone in hand.

Chapter 38 Rachel (Page 313) from Sunday evening to Tuesday morning things change for Rachel and we get quite a denouement. From being unconscious on the floor of the kitchen in her former home and dragged out into the yard by her hair facing certain death at the hand of her clearly psychopathic ex, Tom, to passing the gauntlet of the police after Tom was stopped by the corkscrew, and back on the train looking over into the yards of the houses ready to move on - this was a very satisfying chapter.

message 3: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14306 comments It was quite an ending, the build-up leading up to and during these last chapters was like a runaway freight train with no brakes.
Megan's story broke my heart even as I had disliked her during previous chapters when she was self centered and demanding. She was abused and suffering and obviously needed therapy. Kamal, after all the angst and his inappropriate contact with her was helping her to come to terms with the accidental death of baby Libby so long ago and even though it got her killed, the path she was heading down until Scott and Tom reacted so violently and angrily, was a positive move. So sad. At first when they revealed mid way in the book that she was dead I was disappointed to know that too soon; but this way of revealing what happened was brilliant.

message 4: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14306 comments Rachel's emerging from the fog of alcohol and despair she had been wallowing in was something to see, even as we feared for her life, especially here near the end. Her determination to find her memory, figure it out and say something all the while enduring more abuse heaped on her by the police, Anna, Tom and even Scott when she was sincerely trying to help was poignant.

message 5: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 3599 comments the last few chapters were heart-pounding. i didn't see it coming when we found out that tom was behind everything. and the way anna behaved made me think that she was helping him. she was as much a needy soul as rachel was in her own way. and to think that anna and rachel will be forever bound in some way by the killing of tom- especially since anna finished the job to make sure he was really dead. that kind of creeped me out a little- thinking about her mental status.

message 6: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 1260 comments That was quite an ending. I really wasn't thinking Tom (Ann you were right to wonder about him!). Not a good thing to read right before going to bed! It was weird to see Anna turning into "Rachel".

message 7: by LizH (new)

LizH (liz_h) | 955 comments I wasn't thinking Tom either, so it was a good twist. Surprised the 2 women formed a "bond" that was a surprise as well, as I thought there would be too much hate between them.

message 8: by ♣Tessa♣ (last edited Feb 05, 2015 12:11PM) (new)

♣Tessa♣ | 16 comments I just got through the first Rachel chapter and OOOOOOOOO!!!!!!
Haven't read any other comments yet so I don't spoil anything - though I think it's obvious the ending now. Haha

message 9: by [deleted user] (last edited Feb 16, 2015 10:33AM) (new)

Wow is all I have to say about the last few chapters. Wow.

I had a whole different take on the Anna/Rachel bond. Anna- Anna kinda scared me at the end. Not someone I would want to be caught in a dark alley with. Her motivations - I felt she needed Rachel to substantiate her story and beyond that - I don't know what she woulda done if she hadn't.

Also, interesting to note Scott had anger issues, same as Tom. Such a common situation, damaged pasts can cause you to be attracted to the wrong people, bouncing from one bad relationship to another...

message 10: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14306 comments Christina, oh yes, I agree, I wish Rachel could stay far away from Anna. She may be as bad as Tom as far as sociopathic tendencies.
Good point that it is often common to be attracted to the wrong people when you are already damaged.
Rachel's imagined idyllic life for Megan and Scott as first glimpsed from the train was so flawed.

message 11: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo | 3504 comments Wow, I kind of figured out it was Tom before this last section more than Anna. But still it was the type of book thad yes dragged at times but still had to wondering who done it.
They all had issues. I'm glad that Rachel figured it out in the end.
But how anna almost didn't call the police. that whole ending what she said to rachel had me thinking too.

message 12: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14306 comments Anna scared me, especially not wanting to call the police DJ
Rachel was so much stronger, but her connection to Anna now is frightening.

message 13: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo | 3504 comments She kind of warned her Rachel.