Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Group Read Books - archive > The Girl on the Train - Chapter segment #3 page 178 after the third Anna chapter thru 4 more Anna chapters Spoilers welcome

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14606 comments This will be about ten chapters, three quarters of the way in as a guess. If the first poster(s) could attempt to summarize and maybe use the dates and times that are part of the text that would be helpful. This book is hard to break into segments.

message 2: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14606 comments Chapter nineteen Rachel (Page 178)
While posing as a patient and beginning an investigation of Kamal, Rachel realizes some difficult to accept points about her relationship with Tom. She meets with Scott and is starting the remember a few more snippets about the night Megan disappeared.

Chapter twenty Anna (Page 195)
After the newspapers break the story about Megan's dead infant daughter. When her "friends" in a gossipy manner tell her, Anna reacts badly at the thought that Megan helped with Evie .
Chapter twenty-one Rachel (Page 199)
Scott comes to Rachel's house to get away from the press and questions. He tells her Megan was pregnant when she died, he thinks it was his. He spends the night

Chapter twenty-two Megan (Page 209)
Megan tells Kamal the rest of the story about how her daughter Libby drowned in the bathtub, what happened later with Mac. Kamal is listening as her friend. I wonder if that means he has to keep her confidence.

Chapter twenty-three Rachel (Page 215)
Rachel has spent the night with Scott and strangely discovered that all traces of Megan are wiped clean in the bathroom, bedroom and photos are gone, in under a month since she was missing.

Chapter twenty-four Anna (Page 219)
Anna spots Rachel leaving Scott's house.

Chapter twenty-five Rachel (Page 221)
Rachel meets with Tom who is kind and pushing money on her. This out of character behavior has Rachel with a glimmer of hope, expecting to get back together again. Her session with Dr Kamal has her mind racing on the possibilities and potential for violence

Chapter twenty-six Anna (Page 231)
Anna is tired, and starting to be a bit suspicious about Tom, she almost gets caught snooping on his laptop. She reveals how callously she was about displacing Rachel by having an affair with Tom.

Chapter twenty-seven Rachel (Page 243)
This chapter is a doozy. Rachel reluctantly meets Scott at his house. He tells her the baby Megan was carrying wasn't his, or Kamal's and he knows she didn't know Megan. Scott is in bad shape and threatens Rachel and holds her against her will, frightening her deeply. The police are reluctant to do anything.
Rachel wanting Tom's help finally gets him on the phone and he is nothing like he was the other day; he is mean and rude and calls her a blind drunk, a filthy, stinking drunk, belittling her for her lack of memory.
But then her dream starts to gel later and she remembers "him" coming at her in the overpass raising his hand to strike her in the head.
Tom is coming across as some sort of an abusing psychopath, does remembering "him" mean Tom? I am starting to think that Tom was abusing Rachel all along during the last months of their marriage at least when Rachel was too drunk to realize his lies.

Chapter twenty-eight Anna (Page 262)
Anna is suspicious and still obsessed about Rachel, even more so when she finds Tom's black gym bag by the bed when he left an hour before to go to the gym. Inside she finds a mobile phone, battery dead. Charging it is easy, an extra power cable like everyone has in their junk drawer, and there are text messages, going back a year, lots of them about meeting times. And later in a maddening cliff hanger note, changing the outgoing greeting reveals it isn't Tom's phone, it is "hers".

message 3: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14606 comments As Anna is revealed in this segment her chapters get a bit longer and she becomes less likable. At one time or another each of the three women who narrate their own chapters are an unlikable character, but then something they say or do will reveal another side of their personality, or events will show them as vulnerable and sad rather than cruel or self centered.

The men all fall under suspicion, one by one, each with the potential for violence especially as Rachel interacts with them. You start to wonder if the problems of the women aren't in large part a byproduct of dealing with their men.

message 4: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 1299 comments The intensity of the book is really ramping up in this section. It's hard to fathom anyone doing the things that Rachel does, but it's quite believable in this context. I'm definitely starting to think that Tom is the evil one here, although Scott really was scary too.

message 5: by ♣Tessa♣ (last edited Feb 05, 2015 07:50AM) (new)

♣Tessa♣ | 16 comments Anna is such a selfish whiny drama queen. The more I hear from her the more I wish she was the one buried in the woods.
I am so awful LOL.

Also, Tom and Anna need to butt out of Rachel's life if they want her out of theirs. These people are awful.

message 6: by ♣Tessa♣ (new)

♣Tessa♣ | 16 comments I can guess who's phone it is! (maybe) LOL
Ahhhhhh, this is getting intense. Onto part 4

message 7: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 3684 comments Stephanie wrote: "I can guess who's phone it is! (maybe) LOL
Ahhhhhh, this is getting intense. Onto part 4"

yeah, that's what i thought too, stephanie. :)

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

The picture is finally coming into focus.

Tom is an abusive psycho no matter what happens from this point on.

Strikes me how broken all three women are. How damaged - Rachel by the pain she experienced from not having children and probably from living with psycho Tom; Anna, who had zero self respect and needs to feel superior and important - dehumanizing Rachel while she was cheating with her husband, thinking she was somehow better than Rachel- lotta issues going on there; and finally Meagan - over her past and loss of a child. For a psycho like Tom that would be like blood in the water.

My money is on Tom now but we'll see.

Again can't stop reading.

message 9: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14606 comments Christina, yes! All three women were terribly broken, and at one time or another were at least partly sympathetic. I found myself trying to more deeply understand each of them as almost a compulsion as I read more.
I was right there with you at this point on Tom.

message 10: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo | 3588 comments ♣Stephanie♣ wrote: "Anna is such a selfish whiny drama queen. The more I hear from her the more I wish she was the one buried in the woods.
I am so awful LOL.

Also, Tom and Anna need to butt out of Rachel's life if ..."

I so agree with you. I think at this point the two I hate the most are Tom and Anna. I can't believe how these chapters are coming together.

message 11: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo | 3588 comments ♣Stephanie♣ wrote: "I can guess who's phone it is! (maybe) LOL
Ahhhhhh, this is getting intense. Onto part 4"

Me too. My mind is going in all different directions.

message 12: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo | 3588 comments It seems unbelievable how this book is coming together.
I agree about Anna with her problems.
Tom what he could have been doing and putting the blame on Rachel that might have gotten her to start drinking. If we are right and something was going on with him and Megan and he found out about the baby. He could have gone off.
Then it could be if Anna found out about her husband she could have done it. I have thoughts on more than another but still it could be anyone. Still with the guy with the red hair. we found out that Megan's past boyfriend died years ago but do we know for sure if that is true and maybe it could be the same red hair guy.

For sure this book will be probably fixed today if I'm lucky. It gets tiring after awhile reading this book.

message 13: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14606 comments DJ. Good luck finishing the book, it's hard to stop reading because there is so much we need to understand. :)