Around the World discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
2012-2020 Discussions > 2015 - Welcome and Introductions

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lilisa (new)

Lilisa | 1874 comments Mod
Welcome and feel free to introduce yourself! Thought I'd start a new Introductions thread for folks joining in 2015. (This doesn't preclude folks who've been here a while and want to re-introduce themselves though!)

message 2: by Betty (new)

Betty Asma (everydayabook) I'm Asma Fedosia. Started in 2009, maybe about the time this group began. Barry was its originator. It was fun with the community of members figuring out the details of how this global book group would function. Basically, "in 52 Books" is an aspiration. Someone can imagine their own themes, numbers, &c, out of it. Today, group members continue to be as inventive and interactive as ever.

message 3: by Lilisa (new)

Asma - Thanks for the insight into when this group started and what the thinking was on "in 52 books Books." Judy and maybe Jenny had also mentioned Barry, who I guess is not active here any more. I like that we can be creative and take any path traveling around the world at whatever pace, area, genre, etc. I also love getting recommendations on books I may have never come across and on books from lesser-known countries - great book group!

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Hello,
My Name is Melissa and I am from Canada and my favourite Book I have read recently from my Country is called "My October" By Claire Holden Rothman https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...
I have a goal to explore books from different countries that I may never have heard of if it hadn't been for goodreads.

message 5: by Lilisa (last edited Feb 01, 2015 07:39PM) (new)

Welcome Melissa - great goal. I think you'll come across some interesting books from different countries here to add to your list. I've found some that I probably wouldn't have run into in my usual foray. I see that Sharon has My October on her TBR list. What did you think of it?

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Lilisa wrote: "Welcome Melissa - great goal. I think you'll come across some interesting books from different countries here to add to your list. I've found some that I probably wouldn't have run into in my usual..."

I really enjoyed it - I learned a lot about the province of Quebec and the language Identity problems of the younger and older generations of Quebecois. It also makes reference to the October Crisis in the 70's which was a particularly violent piece of canadian history and how it affected the english vs French language moving forward.
Overall, I found it to be a really outstanding book with quite a complex and interesting subject matter.

message 7: by Lilisa (new)

Melissa wrote: "Lilisa wrote: "Welcome Melissa - great goal. I think you'll come across some interesting books from different countries here to add to your list. I've found some that I probably wouldn't have run i..."

Thanks Melissa - it certainly sounds interesting reflecting a rather turbulent time in Canada's history. I really enjoyed Montreal and especially Quebec City when I visited years ago.

message 8: by Pauline (new)

Pauline  | 14 comments I am new to this group and looking forward to being a participant. I have a few questions though:
1) How do you like a book to the site?
2) Where are we to link it? In the bookshelf of completed books or elsewhere? It looks like some people have started their own thread of books, but I"m not sure if that is required.

Thanks!
Pauline

message 9: by Rusalka (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 980 comments Mod
Hi Pauline. Welcome!

You should start your own thread so you can keep track what you have read for yourself and so we can sticky-beak and pinch ideas ;) Name it whatever you wish. You can also let us know in the Currently Reading and the Just Finished threads.

Linking books, there should be a link above your comment box saying "add book/author". Click on this and it brings up a search box where you can search for the book, then hit "add". Then there should be a link.

Look forward to pinching seeing your reads!

message 10: by Lilisa (last edited Apr 01, 2015 05:34AM) (new)

Welcome Pauline - great to have you here! As Rusalka said - we love to see what others are reading so we can add to out groaning TBR lists - so feel free to create your own thread and use the others mentioned. Also, I see you've added books to the group's Bookshelf - that's awesome - thanks and welcome again. Shout if you have other questions.

message 11: by Elizabeth (last edited Apr 27, 2015 10:05PM) (new)

Elizabeth | 2 comments Hello everyone. What a great idea for a group. I am one of the moderators for a similar group, Around the World in Books. We choose a different book every month, selected by a poll of book ideas contributed by members. Thought I might mention that those who belong to this group might visit our group for ideas for books to add to your year's reading list taken from our bookshelf or polls we have conducted of different countries. Also, we always welcome new members!

message 12: by Miquel (new)

Miquel Reina (miquelreina) | 2 comments Hi everyone! My name is Miquel Reina and I've just joined this group because I love reading travelling and adventure books! It make me feel like I was there (and it's much cheaper than travelling) Hope we share our literature treasures!

message 13: by Lilisa (new)

Hi Miguel - welcome to the group, you have much in common with many in the group, including myself here! We get great tips on books from around the world from each other and your To Be Read list will grow quickly. Check out the Group Bookshelf for starters. What are a few of your favorite travel and adventure books?

message 14: by Miquel (new)

Miquel Reina (miquelreina) | 2 comments Lilisa wrote: "Hi Miguel - welcome to the group, you have much in common with many in the group, including myself here! We get great tips on books from around the world from each other and your To Be Read list wi..." Thanks a lot Lilisa! I will take a look to Bookshelf for starters! Here is a list of one of my travel and atravel-adventure books I love the most: Around the world in 80 days, Endurance, Robinson Crusoe and Adrift!

message 15: by Lilisa (new)

Miquel Reina wrote: "Lilisa wrote: "Hi Miguel - welcome to the group, you have much in common with many in the group, including myself here! We get great tips on books from around the world from each other and your To ..."
Nice favorites Miguel!

message 16: by Rusalka (new)

Welcome Miquel!

message 17: by Lilisa (new)

Oops, sorry Miquel, I've been misspelling your name!

message 18: by [deleted user] (last edited Dec 11, 2015 12:06PM) (new)

Hey friends, I've been thinking of being active on this group from '16. what I want to ask is I have and will probably continue to read a lot of books from Persian empire of medieval times, does that qualify as a read here? Also, if yes, to which country will it belong? And what about poetry?

message 19: by Lilisa (new)

Hi Sidharth - welcome and pretty much anything qualifies as a read here at AtW. We all go at our own pace, and read what works best for each of us and there's no pressure. Some folks choose to stay in one country, region, others like to travel around - everything goes. It's up to you how you'd like to shelve books from the Persian empire - personally, I would shelve Persia under Iran although you mentioned Persian empire, a much larger geographic area. I'd say shelve it the way you see it. Everything goes reading wise, so poetry, plays, etc. are all in. See - there are virtually no rules here. All we ask is -- share what you're reading - book and country it's set in and share what you think of the book, poetry, plays or whatever after you've read them. If you've written a review, we'd love for you to share the link too. Hope that helps.

message 20: by Rusalka (new)

Welcome Sidharth! As Lilisa says above, we're pretty flexible, so would love for you to join us and let us know what you're reading.

message 21: by [deleted user] (last edited Dec 13, 2015 03:17AM) (new)

Thanks a lot Lilisa and Rusalka.

Jenny (Reading Envy) (readingenvy) | 1297 comments Mod
Sidharth wrote: "Hey friends, I've been thinking of being active on this group from '16. what I want to ask is I have and will probably continue to read a lot of books from Persian empire of medieval times, does th..."

Hi Sidharth. Everything counts. I don't think you could do any deep reading of the Persian empire without poetry. I look forward to learning from you.

message 23: by Josie (new)

Josie (j4shaw) Hi all
I just wanted to highlight the 666 reading challenge that is running for 2016.
The aim being to read 6 books which are set in OR are written by an author from 6 different countries in each of the 6 continents within the 12 month period of the 1st day of 2016 and the last.

This challenge is hosted through BookCrossing, which is free to join, and can be found here:
http://www.bookcrossing.com/forum/6/5...

If you're on Twitter the hashtag is #666for2016

I hope some of you will sign up and join us in 2016 ;)

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.