THE Group for Authors! discussion

Publishing and Promoting > Supporting Crowd Funded Projects

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Alp (new)

Alp Mortal I wondered if anyone had gone down the path of supporting a crowd funded project (for example on Indie Go Go or Kickstarter) as a way of improving their profile/supporting their overall marketing efforts.

The authors which form the Carter Seagrove Project (myself - Alp, Chambers, and Shannon) are thinking of funding a short film project. The level of funding which would give us the kind of exposure that would justify the outlay (3k$) is relatively high. The potential to spread the name worldwide is also compelling.

We write mostly m/m erotic romances and the project is also a m/m erotic romance, so the fit is good.

We are still debating the whys and wherefores so I was hoping someone else had been through the experience.

We realise that if we do spend this much money to get our name in lights then the work of capitalising on the potential exposure is obviously not to be underestimated.

But before we commit, is there anything we really should be thinking about?

message 2: by Wayland (new)

Wayland Smith | 36 comments I end up backing projects I think are worth it, with "worth" being a very subjective, personal thing. I don't think I've ever backed one to make contacts, although I have spread the word about projects I hoped to benefit from (enlightened self interest is a guide of mine).

One of my co-authors and I are debating doing a Kickstarter for our next superhero anthology.

message 3: by B. (new)

B. Roman (bromanbooks) | 12 comments Alp wrote: "I wondered if anyone had gone down the path of supporting a crowd funded project (for example on Indie Go Go or Kickstarter) as a way of improving their profile/supporting their overall marketing e..."

Alp, I have never supported a project, but am in the planning stages of creating a crowdfunding campaign on Pubslush for my YA book trilogy. I do wish you the best in your endeavor (it's probably more "marketable" than mine!). In my preparations I am realizing how much work and determination goes into a crowdfunding campaign, especially since I am really naïve as to how to use social media. If you are adept at this aspect, I suspect you will do quite well. Take your time, do your due diligence, and go for it!