Crime Detective Mystery Thriller Group discussion

Discussions > Do you like to read books that come from a TV series?

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

I'll admit here that I have read some of the books from 24. I have a Burn Notice book as well. They are continuing the TV series Sons of Anarchy in a new book but I'll skip that since I stopped watching the show after the 4th season.

message 2: by Skye (new)

Skye | 307 comments I did try Kathy Reichs after loving Bones, but I was not that impressed.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm a big fan of Bones also. I have been saying that I would try the series. I still have the first book. Haven't read it yet.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

I do like shows based on books but it's with the understanding that they will be different. Some are completely different, like Bones. I like the show better but do like the books, although the last couple have been less likeable for me. I'm hoping the new one will be better.

message 5: by Ingo (new)

Ingo (ilembcke) | 44 comments Ron: Bones - just the other way round for me, I read the books before the series existed and then started seeing the series. The books and the series are two totally different things, and since then I stopped seeing the TV-Series late season 8 I think (for me it is always a mistake to destroy the plot with a romance of the main characters late in the series).

The books are not all equally good, but all are fast page-turners, as Kathy Reichs writes chapters in a way that most chapters end with a cliff-hanger, forcing your curiosity to read on. For that, if you want to read them, I strongly suggest doing as I do: if you need to stop, do it somewhere in the middle of a chapter - easier said than done.

If you really like the TV-Series you might not enjoy the books, but read the the first one, it should give you an idea wether you like the series or not. Given her background the books describe the forensic procedures as they really are, with one person having one special job, which in some books makes the detective role of Brennan unrealistic (in the last one she takes too many unnecessary risks, and that might have happened before in the books, but I just overlooked it).

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

At some point this year, I'm going to try this series and will read the first book. Thanks.

message 7: by Mike (new)

Mike Wazowski (mikequist1) I do not read books based on TV series. In fact, I avoid them.

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

I've done the same thing except for 24. I can give the book on Bones a chance since that did come out before the TV show.

message 9: by Rhonda (new)

Rhonda Stefani  (rhonda72) | 7 comments I started reading the Temperance Brennan books once I realized the series was based on them. Must say, loosely based? I really do like the books, I've read every one so far, but the TV character couldn't be more different than the one in the books if they tried lol! But that said, I'm able to like both the books and the show since I don't compare the two. Really think anyone who likes Patricia Cornwell books would like Kathy Reich's, perhaps better imho P.C. has seem to have gotten extremely repetitive lately.