Norwescon discussion

Reach For Infinity
This topic is about Reach For Infinity
2014 P.K. Dick Nominees > Reach for Infinity

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Michael, NWC Goodreads Group Admin (new) - rated it 3 stars

Michael Hanscom (djwudi) | 137 comments Mod
Have you read this nominee? What did you think?

Kathy | 5 comments I always feel that anthologies are awkward as nominees especially when the unifying theme is not so obvious. In this case, the theme was obvious, and I can actually see why you might nominate the editor who put everything together.

That being said, there were some stories that were duds for me in that they were abrupt with no apparent arc. Overall though, most of the stories were thought inducing.

Shelley George | 23 comments There were many great short stories in this collection. Some of my favs...

Break My Fall - a fabulous way to start the collection. How do we get out into space. Who goes? What ideas will help us survive? A surprise result.

The Dust Queen - poignant. Some people are sacrificed for others, for the dream.

Report Concerning the Presence of Seahorses on Mars - a loop hole populates space. Humans find ways.

I forget the Title... Games build the moon/mars

In Babelsberg - the mind of a person/machine is in a space vehicle or a human type body. It still protects itself in (human?) ways.

Wilder Still, the Stars: Robots/clones/AP-artificial people "waking" up to become their true selves.

Well done most of them.

Michelle Morrell (vylotte) | 34 comments A collection of short stories that watch as humanity extends into space. As with most anthologies, some stories were spectacular and some didn't speak to me at all. I appreciated the extrapolation and acceptance of alternative life views, and I always like an excuse to dabble in hard scifi, which I don't normally gravitate to.

One of the Philip K Dick award nominees, worth reading but as always, the nature of a collection of short stories from multiple authors rarely completely satisfies, there's always a story or two that doesn't resonate with the reader, which will most likely eliminate this as a contender.

message 5: by Michael, NWC Goodreads Group Admin (new) - rated it 3 stars

Michael Hanscom (djwudi) | 137 comments Mod
A good anthology, but as with any anthology, some stories work better than others, and for this reason, I don't ever see an anthology being my pick for the PK Dick award. My personal favorite story was Trademark Bugs: A Legal History, by Adam Roberts.