Norwescon discussion

Elysium
This topic is about Elysium

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Michael, NWC Goodreads Group Admin (new) - rated it 4 stars

Michael Hanscom (djwudi) | 137 comments Mod
Have you read this nominee? What did you think?

Shelley George | 23 comments Did I like it? At first no. But about halfway through I found the rhythm and the heart. I was fascinated by the repeating storylines that shifted slightly in place, time and people. The characters themselves amazingly remained themselves through the shifting landscape no matter their sex or sexuality. In the end it was poignantly sad. The added tech angle was well done. We will see how it holds up against the other nominees.

message 3: by Michael, NWC Goodreads Group Admin (new) - rated it 4 stars

Really enjoyed this one. The shifting versions, stories, and settings for the same characters was fascinating and very well handled. Technically also a post-apocalyptic novel, which generally isn't my favorite genre, but this was far more than just that, and far more interesting because of that.

Michelle Morrell (vylotte) | 34 comments I though this one was fantastic. I think it really captures the feeling of a PDK novel.

Michelle Morrell (vylotte) | 34 comments After reading them all, this one is my pick, I thought it exemplified the spirit of Philip K Dick. A lot of strong candidates, though, there are a few I wouldn't mind seeing win.

message 6: by Michael, NWC Goodreads Group Admin (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mine too, Michelle.

Shelley George | 23 comments Yes Michelle and Michael, this is one of my top two. It really gave us an unusual story rhythm and a unique play on gender and time. Thumbs up! And thanks Michael for hosting this Goodreads. Norwescon should read our comments, highlights at the award show so more people would join the discussion.

message 8: by Michael, NWC Goodreads Group Admin (new) - rated it 4 stars

Great idea, I'll pass that along!