You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

Closed Discussion Topic > Questions and Rulings

Comments Showing 1-50 of 152 (152 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by jaxnsmom (new)

jaxnsmom | 8271 comments Here's where to ask questions and get rulings on books.

message 2: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Hi Jaxnsmom! Hope you are having a great day! These are the categories I have books that may fit. I am not committing to this number of books but am trying to figure out if I have the right kind of books:

Collecting comic books – Read a book that’s part of a series: Hair of the Dog

Reading – Read an author that’s new to you: A Shot in the Bark- this will be my first time reading anything by this author

June and Ward Cleaver – Read a post-apocalyptic book: The Mark

Mickey and Minnie Mouse - Read a book where an animal is a main character: Thereby Hangs a Tail

Claire and Jamie Fraser (Outlander) – Read a book with time travelling, or where the perspective changes between the present and the past: The Time Traveler's Wife

Shaggy and Scooby Doo – Read a murder mystery: Bones to Ashes

message 3: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48853 comments I'm going to exercise my meanie status and suggest that we ask for rulings on books that are really ambiguous. jaxnsmom doesn't need to approve every book we choose. If it fits the category, go for it.

For example - Hair of a Dog is a series book. So it fits. Only you can determine if you've never read an author before. I was able to easily determine that you are on the right track, Stephanie - with all your book choices.

Let's try to lesson the load on j'mom, and ask her only the questions that will stump her. I noticed in the last toppler, people were obtaining rulings on a lot of books that didn't need rulings.

message 4: by Lisa (last edited Jan 24, 2015 04:03AM) (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments I have a couple of questions for you Jmom. Can we just read books that fit one of the tasks (such as one of the 'couples swap' tasks) and get 10 points for each or do the books have to fit some of the tasks in other categories (such as 'what does your date look like') as well? Sorry if this is a silly question but I am a little bit confused.

Also, for the 'what does your date look like' tasks (specifically legs and shoes), do they have to be the only parts of the body that are shown on the cover or would it also count if you had a full body shot and could see their legs, shoes etc?

message 5: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Ok, thanks, Janice:)

message 6: by Rusalka, Moderator (last edited Jan 24, 2015 07:01AM) (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17080 comments At the risk of pissing off everyone who may be hoping to sneak things through without you noticing, can we get clarification on the body parts?

Head = easy
eyes = so can these be on a head? So from my tbr, I'm thinking something like The Fictional Woman by Tara Moss or maybe Delirium (Delirium, #1) by Lauren Oliver . Or does it have to be just/mainly eyes? Like The Little Friend by Donna Tartt
torso, a frontal view = is this okay? Grave Witch (Alex Craft, #1) by Kalayna Price . Or are you thinking something more traditionally Mills and Boon/Hareliquin. Like.... (goes to the giveaways) Deceptive Beauty by Dawn White or Jack of Hearts (Desert Sons MC, #1) by Kathryn Thomas
legs = As above. Does it just have to have legs in it like the Grave Witch cover? Or JUST legs? (Jeez Giveaways are on FIRE tonight) Like Little Wolf by Amélie S. Duncan
shoes = Easy

message 7: by Elsbeth (last edited Jan 24, 2015 07:02AM) (new)

Elsbeth (elsbethgm) | 1136 comments The Fictional Woman by Tara Moss
Jack of Hearts (Desert Sons MC, #1) by Kathryn Thomas
Little Wolf by Amélie S. Duncan

Nice body! :D

message 8: by Laura (last edited Jan 24, 2015 07:04AM) (new)

Laura (apenandzen) | 2864 comments Hi J'mom - I'd like to use this book for the Role Play (read a book where a geek is a character, or is a gamer) task.

The Rosie Effect

I've read the first book, The Rosie Project, and Don Tillman (m/c) calls himself a geek (specifically) once. He definitely is a geek if you go by the definition here: http://dictionary.reference.com/brows...

as he qualifies under the first three definitions listed.

I searched Amazon inside The Rosie Effect, and either he calls himself a geek specifically or someone else does three times in the book.

He's not a gamer, but assuming he can be a geek but not a gamer, I'm hoping it'll work? Thanks.

message 9: by Gail (last edited Jan 24, 2015 07:07AM) (new)

Gail (appleshoelace) | 779 comments Also, do the torso and legs need to be naked, or could they be clothed? When I was searching for a torso, I found this one: Eugene Onegin by Alexander Pushkin . And these legs: Pure by Andrew Miller .

message 10: by Rusalka, Moderator (last edited Jan 24, 2015 07:09AM) (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17080 comments Elsbeth wrote: "..,
Nice body! :D"

Lol Tara Moss, who's head we are using, is actually a model turned writer/PhD Student. She still models but does a lot of 1950s pinup style things. She's a big speaker for women's rights/equality/respect here. But she'd be chuffed you put her head into such a nice body mix ;)

message 11: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17080 comments It's also the funnest question I've ever had to put together on Goodreads.

message 12: by Almeta (new)

Almeta (menfrommarrs) | 10137 comments Can a person read more than one task within a Bonus Point category? Potentially one person could read all five or six tasks?

message 13: by Mariab (last edited Jan 24, 2015 08:01AM) (new)

Mariab | 3059 comments Rusalka wrote: "can we get clarification on the body parts?"

I'll bet we are going to go for the hard core rule... (anything else was easy...)

message 14: by jaxnsmom (new)

jaxnsmom | 8271 comments Gail asked:

Is the idea for each task to be completed by someone in the team? So you wouldn't get two people in the team doing the same task?

And so the 25 points for 'Complete all "What does your date look like" tasks' - does that mean your team gets 25 points if all those tasks are completed (by various people in the team), rather being able to get 25 points more than once if they are completed more than once?

I don't know where you're getting the idea that every task has to be completed. I wouldn't make the goal be something that some teams might not be able to do, at least not intentionally. It doesn't matter how many people do the same task, it would be hilarious if everyone did the same one, but they'd lose out on bonus points so that's not going to happen :)

Rusalka took care of your second question.

message 15: by jaxnsmom (new)

jaxnsmom | 8271 comments Janice wrote: "I'm going to exercise my meanie status and suggest that we ask for rulings on books that are really ambiguous. jaxnsmom doesn't need to approve every book we choose. If it fits the category, go f..."

Thank you Janice!

message 16: by Gail (new)

Gail (appleshoelace) | 779 comments Thanks, jmom. I wasn't getting an idea from anywhere - I was just unclear as to the aim of the game, and what needs to be done to complete it, so I was asking to clarify. Sorry about asking in the wrong thread.

message 17: by Gail (new)

Gail (appleshoelace) | 779 comments Just to clarify some more - if two people did the same task, would they both get 10 points for it, so the team would get 20 points, or would it only count as 10 points, because the task only needs to be done once to complete it. (That's what I meant by my question - not that every task needed to be completed.)

message 18: by Lisa (last edited Jan 24, 2015 08:51AM) (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments Gail, as far as I see it, every book that is completed gets 10 points regardless of what task it is for. For the bonus points, every task in those categories needs to be completed once and then the team will get either 25 or 30 extra points. Thereafter, anyone else who reads a book for those tasks will just get 10 points for the individual book. So yes, if two or more people did the same task they would each get 10 points. That is how I interpreted it anyway. I'm sure Jmom will correct me if I'm wrong :)

message 19: by jaxnsmom (new)

jaxnsmom | 8271 comments Lisa wrote: "I have a couple of questions for you Jmom. Can we just read books that fit one of the tasks (such as one of the 'couples swap' tasks) and get 10 points for each or do the books have to fit some of the tasks in other categories (such as 'what does your date look like') as well? Sorry if this is a silly question but I am a little bit confused.

Also, for the 'what does your date look like' tasks (specifically legs and shoes), do they have to be the only parts of the body that are shown on the cover or would it also count if you had a full body shot and could see their legs, shoes etc?

You can read books that fit the same task and get the points for each book. It's not a silly question, others are bound to wonder about it too :)
There's no requirement for everyone to read a different task.

As far as "What does your date look like" The book should be as close to showing just the required body part as possible. No full body covers. Legs and shoes might be hard to separate, but for shoes make sure you can really see them.

As far as Rusalka's post -
Eyes - Eyes are the focus. Tara Moss is a head picture, the eyes aren't really noticed. The other two are good, the eyes are emphasized.
Torso - No full body, especially no head. It can be like your last two, or like Gail's example. Clothing is optional (never thought that would be an answer I'd be giving on GR). Hopefully someone will use a female torso for Travis, is there a book with Reese Witherspoon's torso? ☺
Legs - Again, no full body. As close to just legs as possible.

I hope that clarifies the What does your date look like section. I'll try and edit message 2.

message 20: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments Thanks for clarifying Jmom.

message 21: by jaxnsmom (new)

jaxnsmom | 8271 comments Laura wrote: "Hi J'mom - I'd like to use this book for the Role Play (read a book where a geek is a character, or is a gamer) task.

The Rosie Effect

I've read the first book, [book:The Rosie ..."

The key wording is geek or gamer. So you already answered that part, and you researched the geek part to your satisfaction. So, yes, it qualifies.

message 22: by jaxnsmom (new)

jaxnsmom | 8271 comments Gail wrote: "Also, do the torso and legs need to be naked, or could they be clothed? When I was searching for a torso, I found this one: Eugene Onegin by Alexander Pushkin. And these legs: Pure by Andrew Miller."

Great examples Gail!

message 23: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) | 2864 comments jaxnsmom wrote: "Laura wrote: "Hi J'mom - I'd like to use this book for the Role Play (read a book where a geek is a character, or is a gamer) task.

The Rosie Effect

I've read the first book, [b..."

Woot! Bless your meanie-toppler-lady bones! I've been dying to read that book. :D

message 24: by Gail (new)

Gail (appleshoelace) | 779 comments Lisa wrote: "Gail, as far as I see it, every book that is completed gets 10 points regardless of what task it is for. For the bonus points, every task in those categories needs to be completed once and then the..."

Ah, thanks, Lisa. I'm just trying to figure out strategising. Obviously, with bonus points categories, we'll want to spread them out, so that each task in the category is covered, but I'm wondering about after the bonus tasks are covered - whether it's better to spread out the remaining tasks as much as possible, so that more tasks are done, or whether it makes no difference if several people do the same one. Or whether that's something that we aren't allowed to know until the end, when extra bonus points will be announced.

message 25: by Lisa (last edited Jan 24, 2015 09:07AM) (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments I don't think it will make any difference if people do the same tasks as they will be getting 10 points each for their books anyway. It's quite nice because it means that everyone should be able to read books that they want to read rather than 'taking one for the team' so to speak :)

message 26: by jaxnsmom (new)

jaxnsmom | 8271 comments Almeta wrote: "Can a person read more than one task within a Bonus Point category? Potentially one person could read all five or six tasks?"

Sure, why not!

message 27: by jaxnsmom (last edited Jan 24, 2015 09:58AM) (new)

jaxnsmom | 8271 comments Gail wrote: "Thanks, jmom. I wasn't getting an idea from anywhere - I was just unclear as to the aim of the game, and what needs to be done to complete it, so I was asking to clarify. Sorry about asking in the ..."

No problem. It makes it easier for me if all the questions are in one place. And I'm less likely to miss one this way.

message 28: by Mariab (last edited Jan 24, 2015 10:01AM) (new)

Mariab | 3059 comments Has to be two shoes?, the rule says "pair of",but I suppose it has not to be two, or?)

message 29: by jaxnsmom (new)

jaxnsmom | 8271 comments Gail wrote: "Lisa wrote: "Gail, as far as I see it, every book that is completed gets 10 points regardless of what task it is for. For the bonus points, every task in those categories needs to be completed once..."

Lisa answered your question, but I wanted to clarify one thing. There's only one unknown bonus task, and those 25 points will be given to only one team.

message 30: by jaxnsmom (new)

jaxnsmom | 8271 comments Mariab wrote: "Has to be two shoes?, the rule says "pair of",but I suppose it has not to be two, or?)"

Two is best, but I'll accept more, or just one, if they are the main focus and really visible.

message 31: by Gail (new)

Gail (appleshoelace) | 779 comments Should we be keeping track of page numbers in the books? (Just thinking of the bonus of the last Toppler.) I was planning to make a spreadsheet that just has all the tasks and everyone's names and books, and the points, but I'm wondering if there's any extra info I need to be adding, like page numbers.

message 32: by Elsbeth (new)

Elsbeth (elsbethgm) | 1136 comments jaxnsmom wrote: "Mariab wrote: "Has to be two shoes?, the rule says "pair of",but I suppose it has not to be two, or?)"

Two is best, but I'll accept more, or just one, if they are the main focus and really visible."

So that would mean this one is alright? The Death We Share by Sharon Short

message 33: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18188 comments Gail wrote: "Should we be keeping track of page numbers in the books? (Just thinking of the bonus of the last Toppler.) I was planning to make a spreadsheet that just has all the tasks and everyone's names and ..."

I'd say don't try to make things unnecessarily complicated. I only recall the last toppler taking in to account page numbers. My philosophy is, "We'll cross that bridge when we come to it".

message 34: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18188 comments Elsbeth wrote: "So that would mean this one is alright? The Death We Share by Sharon Short"

Looks like the main focus to me!

message 35: by Mariab (new)

Mariab | 3059 comments jaxnsmom wrote: "Two is best, but I'll accept more, or just one, if they are the main focus and really visible."

I was thinking of Practical Magic by Alice Hoffman

message 36: by Ava Catherine (last edited Jan 24, 2015 11:13AM) (new)

Ava Catherine | 4258 comments Jmom, will this count as legs? I know that the upper part of her legs are covered by her coat from her knees to her upper thighs, but it is mostly her legs when you really think about it. Please give me a thumbs up. Imagined London: A Tour of the World's Greatest Fictional City
Thanks!

message 37: by jaxnsmom (new)

jaxnsmom | 8271 comments Connie - It's borderline. It's not so much that the coat covers part of her legs, but that it overwhelms the cover. I'd say use it for another task. I'm looking for the body part to be the focus of the cover.

message 38: by Tejas Janet (new)

Tejas Janet (tejasjanet) | 3513 comments Jaxnsmom - Need ruling on this cover for torso

Play It as It Lays by Joan Didion
Play It as It Lays

The torso is definitely the main emphasis, but you can see the chin and mouth so --- ??

message 39: by jaxnsmom (new)

jaxnsmom | 8271 comments Main emphasis says it all :)

message 40: by Tejas Janet (new)

Tejas Janet (tejasjanet) | 3513 comments jaxnsmom wrote: "Main emphasis says it all :)"

Great! Thanks : )

message 41: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Does Shattering Glass by Gail Giles work for human head? I ask because part of the face isn't all the way on the cover.

message 42: by jaxnsmom (new)

jaxnsmom | 8271 comments yep

message 43: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Yay! Thank you! Library here has it available for audio! Going to give audio another chance ;-)

message 44: by Elsbeth (new)

Elsbeth (elsbethgm) | 1136 comments Sarah wrote: "Elsbeth wrote: "So that would mean this one is alright? The Death We Share by Sharon Short"

Looks like the main focus to me!"

That is what I thought! ;)

message 45: by Ava Catherine (last edited Jan 24, 2015 12:19PM) (new)

Ava Catherine | 4258 comments jaxnsmom wrote: "Connie - It's borderline. It's not so much that the coat covers part of her legs, but that it overwhelms the cover. I'd say use it for another task. I'm looking for the body part to be the focus..."

Ok, Jmom. Thanks, I am off to find some legs. : )

message 46: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17080 comments Thanks so much Jmom. I had a snicker at the clothing optional one. Bet you never thought you'd be evaluating body parts on here either!

Figured that one needed the most clarification on what counted so better to get in early.

message 47: by jaxnsmom (new)

jaxnsmom | 8271 comments All the body talk has been...interesting. LOL

I hope there's enough clarification now.

message 48: by jaxnsmom (new)

jaxnsmom | 8271 comments Listopia has some very helpful lists - there's even one for legs turned in with red shoes :)

One of my favorite sites for finding books in certain settings is:

http://bookssetin.com/BookSearch.aspx

message 49: by Lisa (last edited Jan 25, 2015 02:26AM) (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments Jmom, I have this as a possible for head on the cover but I'm not sure if it will count. What do you think?

Glimpse by Kendra Leighton

message 50: by jaxnsmom (new)

jaxnsmom | 8271 comments Lisa - I'm really on the fence about this one. I personally don't think it works, but that's because I know what I had in mind (and I expect everyone to read my mind when picking body parts). But going by the rules I have to say it qualifies.

Sigh, it's hard being objective, but I can't use my powers of evilness whenever I want :~D

« previous 1 3 4