Horror Aficionados discussion

Buddy Reads > Buddy Read of Facts Concerning The Late Arthur Jermyn... by H.P. Lovecraft

Comments Showing 1-50 of 77 (77 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Char (last edited Feb 02, 2015 08:58AM) (new)

Char  | 14216 comments Mod
I'm fresh off a Lovecraft read and my friend Irena and I decided to read this story in February. Anyone that would like to join us, please feel free! I'm looking to start around February 2nd or so.
So far it's:
Char
Irena
Tom
Jon
Latasha
John
Ctgt
Perry

message 2: by ᴥ Irena ᴥ (new)

ᴥ Irena ᴥ (-irena-) | -20 comments You can read it here too.

message 3: by Char (new)

Irena wrote: "You can read it here too."

Thanks for posting the link!
It may end up being just us, but we'll see if we reel anyone in here. :)

message 4: by ᴥ Irena ᴥ (new)

ᴥ Irena ᴥ (-irena-) | -20 comments Charlene wrote: "Irena wrote: "You can read it here too."

Thanks for posting the link!
It may end up being just us, but we'll see if we reel anyone in here. :)"

Wouldn't surprise me. :) I expect something like that.

message 5: by Tom (new)

Tom | 340 comments I will read it. I have it in my anthology

message 6: by Char (new)

Awesome, Tom! :)

message 8: by Char (new)

You have some classics going on there. :)

message 9: by ᴥ Irena ᴥ (new)

ᴥ Irena ᴥ (-irena-) | -20 comments It's a great story.

message 10: by Jon Recluse (new)

Jon Recluse | 12043 comments Mod
Count me in.

message 11: by Char (new)

Yay! Hello, my friend! :)

message 12: by John (new)

John (frayerbanac) | 336 comments I last read it when I was a late teen. Need to reacquaint myself. Let's go for it.

message 13: by Ctgt (new)

Ctgt | 761 comments Sounds good. I'm in.

message 14: by Jon Recluse (new)

Charlene wrote: "Yay! Hello, my friend! :)"

Hi! :)

message 15: by Latasha (new)

Latasha (latasha513) | 11041 comments Mod
I want to join please! I love some HPL! <3

message 16: by Char (new)

Yeah, now we're talking. Latasha is in the house! :)

message 17: by Nickronomicon (new)

Nickronomicon | 157 comments I love Lovecraft(ians)! First buddy read for me, count me in. Might make a nice break while I'm slogging through Wolves of the Calla.

message 18: by Char (new)

Very cool, Nick! Happy to have you! :)

message 19: by Perry (new)

Perry Lake | 316 comments I read this story many years ago. Although it's good, it's not the sort of story Lovecraft has become known for. Still, he returned to this theme in "The Lurking Fear" and "The Shadow Over Innsmouth". (I won't say what the theme is, so I don't spoil it for new readers.)

message 20: by ᴥ Irena ᴥ (new)

ᴥ Irena ᴥ (-irena-) | -20 comments Perry wrote: "I read this story many years ago. Although it's good, it's not the sort of story Lovecraft has become known for. Still, he returned to this theme in "The Lurking Fear" and "The Shadow Over Innsmo..."

I love The Shadow Over Innsmouth so anything similar can only be a plus as far as I am concerned.

message 21: by Latasha (new)

Lol thx Charlene. I love the shadow over innsmouth too! It's my favorite of HPL's.

message 22: by Char (new)

Welcome, Perry! I'm pretty sure every person in here so far is relatively well versed in Lovecraft.
It's interesting sometimes to look into the lesser known stories and see what they have to offer. With Lovecraft there are so many to choose from. :)

message 23: by Latasha (new)

if you prefer to listen, here's a free copy from iTunes

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/f...

message 24: by Jon Recluse (last edited Feb 01, 2015 12:29PM) (new)

Charlene wrote: "Welcome, Perry! I'm pretty sure every person in here so far is relatively well versed in Lovecraft.
It's interesting sometimes to look into the lesser known stories and see what they have to offer..."

You can find not only his early work, but also his revisions for other writers.
Most of the latter tend to be pure Lovecraft. The Horror in the Museum by H.P. Lovecraft

message 25: by Char (new)

That's cool, Latasha! Thanks!

message 26: by Char (new)

Today's the day! I will be starting this, this afternoon. I look forward to talking it over with you all. :)

message 27: by ᴥ Irena ᴥ (new)

ᴥ Irena ᴥ (-irena-) | -20 comments Starting now.

message 28: by Nickronomicon (new)

Nickronomicon | 157 comments I really liked it (of course). Very similar format to some of his other stories. I have to admit that some the language/vocabulary gets a little awkward and overwhelming to me, but there's something about his stories that really draw me in. Maybe slow building dread? He reveals just enough to spike your interest then leaves to your imagination?
Can anybody recommend some modern authors that write stories like HP? Laird Barron is the only one I know of that I have read.

message 29: by Latasha (new)

Oh my!! The narrator for the reading I shard is not very good. I'll read this tomorrow since that audio didn't work out :(

message 30: by John (new)

John (frayerbanac) | 336 comments You're right, Nick. That first paragraph, for instance. It's unbelievably dense and obscure. Then suddenly it kicks in and your away.

message 31: by John (new)

John (frayerbanac) | 336 comments In answer to your last question. Thomas Ligotti or a rather more obscure one, William Scott Home. The latter's Hollow Faces, Merciless Moons has now gained cult status since it first appeared in 1977.

message 32: by ᴥ Irena ᴥ (new)

ᴥ Irena ᴥ (-irena-) | -20 comments I've read this today. I liked it, but I loved some of his other stories more.

message 33: by Char (new)

I was sidetracked yesterday by a little over a foot of snow, but I did start this last night. I hope to finish it later and then I'll be back to discuss. :)

message 34: by Tom (new)

Tom | 340 comments Started last night. I didnt know I was supposed to read the whole thing so I just read A Result and a Prologue. I wish I could find some stuff hidden in my wall that has 'monstrous implication'!

message 35: by Ctgt (new)

Ctgt | 761 comments Nick wrote: "Can anybody recommend some modern authors that write stories like HP? Laird Barron is the only one I know of that I have read. "

Barron is my current favorite but you could try these authors

John Langan -The Wide, Carnivorous Sky and Other Monstrous Geographies

Simon Strantzas -Beneath the Surface

Michael Cisco -Secret Hours

message 36: by John (new)

John (frayerbanac) | 336 comments Good choices, Ctgt.

message 37: by Char (last edited Feb 03, 2015 10:19AM) (new)

I believe I see one or two instances of Lovecraft's bigotry. I haven't read any Lovecraft in years now, so I was sort of shocked when I read this article last September.

http://www.salon.com/2014/09/11/its_o...

Now that I know this, perhaps I'm more aware of it, and maybe that's why I didn't notice it so much when I was younger?
"It was no mere negro village?"

message 38: by Char (new)

I finished the story. For whatever reason I thought this was a much longer tale.

Anyway, I liked it. :)
While I love most of HPL's cosmic horror stories, it's some of these, that are mostly like a quick punch in the gut, that I like the most.

message 39: by Char (new)

I'm wondering if anyone is interested in reading another story together?

message 40: by ᴥ Irena ᴥ (new)

ᴥ Irena ᴥ (-irena-) | -20 comments I felt uncomfortable a couple of times too. It is always hard when you stumble upon certain things from an author you really love.

message 41: by Char (last edited Feb 03, 2015 10:59AM) (new)

Irena wrote: "I felt uncomfortable a couple of times too. It is always hard when you stumble upon certain things from an author you really love."

It is. And I do have to remember that it was a different time back then-not that that means that it was okay to be a racist, but it was more accepted and/or mainstream than it is now.

message 42: by Nickronomicon (new)

Nickronomicon | 157 comments Thanks for the suggestions.
Yes, there are a few cringe moments in some of his writing, but it almost fits the stories. Does that make sense?
Does anyone else want to see an HP Lovecraft show? Each week a new episode with a new story, kind of like the Twilight Zone? Someone with more talent get it off the ground and I'll back it 100%!

message 43: by Tom (new)

Tom | 340 comments Financially... or will you just watch like me!

message 44: by ᴥ Irena ᴥ (new)

ᴥ Irena ᴥ (-irena-) | -20 comments Nick wrote: "Thanks for the suggestions.
Yes, there are a few cringe moments in some of his writing, but it almost fits the stories. Does that make sense?
Does anyone else want to see an HP Lovecraft show? Each..."

It does make sense.

message 45: by Nickronomicon (new)

Nickronomicon | 157 comments Moral support I guess. Maybe we can get them to quit making American Horror Story and focus their efforts on this instead!

message 46: by Char (new)

Nick wrote: "Thanks for the suggestions.
Does anyone else want to see an HP Lovecraft show? Each..."

It makes some type of twisted sense to me too. :)

message 47: by Ctgt (new)

Ctgt | 761 comments Nick wrote: "Does anyone else want to see an HP Lovecraft show? Each week a new episode with a new story, kind of like the Twilight Zone? Someone with more talent get it off the ground and I'll back it 100%!
"

I like that idea. Have you checked out the Lovecraft eZine? They have periodic videos from across the web.

Lovecraft eZine

The latest video
Youtube-The Call

message 48: by Nickronomicon (new)

Nickronomicon | 157 comments Yes I have. I like what they have on there, though I've not checked out the videos. I need to do that. Thanks for the suggestions.

message 49: by Jon Recluse (new)

Charlene wrote: "I'm wondering if anyone is interested in reading another story together?"

Count me in.

message 50: by Latasha (new)

Charlene, I'll read another one. I like HPL. I read the story last night & I liked it.

« previous 1