Lord of the Ring read-a-thon discussion

The Fellowship of the Ring (The Lord of the Rings, #1)
This topic is about The Fellowship of the Ring
A third of the way through...

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Ashana Lian (ashanalian) | 5 comments What a great idea! I was meant to read it last December but got so bogged down with Christmas overtime. I managed to read The Fellowship of the Ring this month, I really hope to finish the other two by... March or somethin'.

Has anybody else read Fellowship of the Ring yet?

message 2: by Irene (last edited Jan 23, 2015 03:25PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Irene (zavrou) | 8 comments I have read The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings many times. I thought that there would be some order to this proposed read a thon and am disappointed that two days in and nothing!

message 3: by Kendra (new)

Kendra (apocalypsebooked) | 4 comments I've read them all before as well and I thought it would be fun to read one book a month together but nothing has really happened. I mean I assumed The Hobbit will be first, unless we read that after LotR or not at all.

I was also planning on reading Children of Hurin even though it's not specific for the challenge, I just haven't gotten around to reading it yet and thought this could help me with that.

Irene (zavrou) | 8 comments So do you want to start with The Hobbit with me?

Ashana Lian (ashanalian) | 5 comments I read the Hobbit at the end of last year, so I'd probably wait until you two have (re)read up to The Two Towers and then I'll join in. :) I also wanted to read Children of Hurin and The Silmarillion. Also the Adventures of Tom Bombadil if I can find it because I adored his character.

message 6: by Kendra (new)

Kendra (apocalypsebooked) | 4 comments I will start reading the Hobbit with you. :)

Irene (zavrou) | 8 comments Thanks. Will start tomorrow.

Irene (zavrou) | 8 comments I first read The Hobbit back in the 60's and it is as wonderful today as it was then.

Except that now I want Bilbo's house! Whole rooms devoted to clothes! Bliss!

Gandalf's question, 'do you wish me good morning, or mean that it is a good morning whether I want it or not, or that you feel good this morning; or this is a morning to be good on?' makes me think of how often we respond to 'How are you?' with 'Fine thanks' whether we are or not!

Ashana Lian (ashanalian) | 5 comments That's one of my favourite quote of The Hobbit, it made me laugh so much! I can't believe I only just read The Hobbit two months ago. It's such a brilliant read.

message 10: by Kendra (new)

Kendra (apocalypsebooked) | 4 comments That quote is one of my favorites as well. Gandalf is such a troll.
I forgot how much singing there was in the book. I remembered two of the songs (mainly because of the movie) but not all the rest.

message 11: by Daphne (new)

Daphne (daftje) | 2 comments I have a weird question... Which book do you read best first? The Hobbit or Lord of the rings?

Irene (zavrou) | 8 comments A couple of us have started with The Hobbit. Please join us. I have to take a break for a couple of days owing to a pre arranged engagement.

Ashana Lian (ashanalian) | 5 comments Daphne wrote: "I have a weird question... Which book do you read best first? The Hobbit or Lord of the rings?"

Hmm, best? The Hobbit was published first, which is why many say it's best to read that first. Others don't mind and just go straight to the Lord Of The Rings series. But I suppose it can be read either way - with The Hobbit acting as the prequel, or with LOTR acting as the sequel. All of the books contain events that happen long before or long after actual real-time events of the story.

=]

THESE BOOKS MAKE ME SO EXCITED. I kind of want to read the Hobbit again now just because Bilbo was such a brilliant and hilarious protagonist. =D

message 14: by Christopher (new)

Christopher Griswold (CyranoQuixote) | 3 comments In the early 1930's J.R.R. Tolkien was doing what university professors dread, reading their students' essays when, for no apparent reason he wrote down, "In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit." From this, one of the most famous opening lines of all, there sprang the story of Bilbo and Frodo and elves and orcs and all. He was a philologist by profession, a lover of language, and in counter-intuitive fashion he compiled the various languages of Middle Earth first and the story flowed from them, not the other way around.The Hobbit came first and the Trilogy followed some 20 years later.

message 15: by Daphne (new)

Daphne (daftje) | 2 comments thank you!! I will start with the hobbit :p

Irene (zavrou) | 8 comments Daphne wrote: "thank you!! I will start with the hobbit :p"

Great. I think that is three of us now.

One thing that has struck me in the re reading of this wonderful book is just how small a Hobbit is. I think maybe I allowed my imagination to be clouded by movies and had forgotten.
I also love the contradiction of his character. One minute he is scared silly and the next he is silly brave!

message 17: by Kendra (new)

Kendra (apocalypsebooked) | 4 comments I love that too! One second Bilbo is having a panic attack at the thought of adventure and then the next he is outraged that they think he wouldn't be able to do it and signs himself up for the quest.
Gandalf must enjoy himself immensely while watching Bilbo be so contradictory.

Irene (zavrou) | 8 comments Finished and it was every bit as wonderful as the very first time I read it.

Ashana Lian (ashanalian) | 5 comments =D Even though last December was my first time reading it, I don't think I will tire of it either. The Hobbit is a lot funnier than the LOTR series.

Irene (zavrou) | 8 comments Ashana wrote: "=D Even though last December was my first time reading it, I don't think I will tire of it either. The Hobbit is a lot funnier than the LOTR series."
It is quite weird how our perspective changes over time. I laughed a lot more this time than ever before.

message 21: by Christopher (new)

Christopher Griswold (CyranoQuixote) | 3 comments Far and away better than the movie, as is usually the case