2015 Reading Challenge [Closed] discussion

Off Topic > How often do you "spring clean" your book collection?

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Anastasia (new)

Anastasia (anastasiaharris) | 319 comments Since I started keeping track of my book collection on Goodreads I have been weeding the books off my shelves.
I do this when I run out of room for new books, or when my children have out grown the book.

1. Do you remove books from your collection?

2. When do you weed your book collection?

3. What do you do with the books that you have removed from your collection?

message 2: by Adriana (new)

Adriana Pereira (adrianacecilia) At my parent's house there are many bookshelves but I like to keep my books in the bookshelf I have on my room though there are a lot of books that I read when I was younger that are throughout the house (which makes them hard to find because I seem to be the only organised person in my family).

My bookshelf is now completely full, I have books piled on my desk and I have even more books in my college room. Which means that when summer holidays start it's going to be hell to move them to my parent's house.

I've been thinking about moving some books I don't care much about out of my room but I fear that it won't be enough. And I don't think I have space in there for another bookshelf.

However, when I get a house of my own, I hope to have bookshelves from floor to ceiling and never having to worry about not having enough space for my books.

message 3: by Ashleigh (new)

Ashleigh (ashleighsbookshelf) I've had to wade through my collection lately. I had far too many books that were crowding my collection. More often than not I buy books in charity shops so I don't spend a fortune as such, but they're often impulse buys that sound really good when I pick them up but then the euphoria of that new book feeling wears off and they just gather dust!

I currently have a bag of 25 to go to a friend, about the same to go to my grandmother... Given I gave my grandmother 25 just before Christmas too...

I'm being a lot more selective over what I buy, both content and physical appearance!

message 4: by Lora (new)

Lora (misplacedselchie) | 347 comments I weed out the books I bought thinking I would enjoy and then hated. ;)

message 5: by Cait (new)

Cait (clickcait) | 480 comments I have limited shelf space so I have to put my books out in rotation. The ones I want to read go on the shelf and the ones I plan to read go in boxes in a cupboard.

When I take books off the shelf and I don't plan to read them again they go into a different box. If it starts looking a bit full I'll go through it and, after taking half the books out because I've changed my mind, I'll either list them on eBay or donate them to charity (the latter backfired last time since I donated them to a bring and buy sale at work, as I donated so many books they gave me the pick of the leftovers that didn't sell so I ended up with almost as many new books as I donated).

I did use Bookmooch for a while but I've not used it for a few years.

message 6: by Ana A (new)

Ana A (anabana_a) | 414 comments I sold a ton of my books when I was moving. That was 3 years ago. It felt sad, at the same time liberating to get rid of those books. Now I'm applying Marie Kondō's cleaning method to keep only the things that bring me joy. So this past month I've gotten rid of around five of my books.

message 7: by Marah (new)

Marah (eyreo) I sent about half of my books to the local used bookstore for credit to buy even more books…haha. I am running out of room. My closet is full of books, but desk has tons of books on them. My nightstand is stuffed with books and one of the drawers doesn't shut correctly if you open it.

I had to start resorting to e-books so that I at least have an empty bed to sleep on.

I may go through them again and really take the time to decide what books really mean something to me.

message 8: by Megan (new)

Megan (bookworm_booklover) | 170 comments Ahhhh the worst part of owning books....

I go through my books maybe once every two years or so, it's generally when I'm reorganising my shelves. I do get rid of some, but ultimately I hold on to them. I dream to have my own library to fill shelves upon shelves with my books and not have to stack them all over but actually be vertical and pulled forward like a library.

I don't buy a lot of used books, though I'd love to say I take them back and get credit for them and get some new ones I don't I either end up keeping them or I take them to Goodwill.

message 9: by Tanya (new)

Tanya (xallroyx21) | 55 comments I am a high school English teacher so any book that I think my students should or what they may want to read I take to school and put in the classroom library. I still have too many at home! I have books read that I plan on keeping, books I have read that I list on bookmooch, and books I still have not read. That is the majority of them. I go through them every couple months and either list them on bookmooch or donate them to the library.

message 10: by Beth (new)

Beth (beth_in_sanjose) This is such a loaded topic for me. I move around a lot, and usually curse my book collection every time I'm packing it up again. A few books have been culled (or lost) in each move. Each and every time it happens I struggle. I have lots of books on my e-Reader, and adore using it, as well as the related app on my phone. However, holding an actual book, turning the pages, still has its own special appeal. Lots of my books are old, so they hold certain memories, like little individual treasure boxes. The reality is, though, there is a finite amount of space to keep books whether or not I ever move again, and they do degrade over time regardless of how carefully (or not) I care for them. For those reasons, I'm very s l o w l y going through my collection and "releasing" those volumes that I feel would be better off in someone else's hands.

message 11: by Cristina (new)

Cristina (cristina_urs) | 23 comments Lora wrote: "I weed out the books I bought thinking I would enjoy and then hated. ;)"

So do I ! But,thank God it doesn't happen very often though !

message 12: by Katie (new)

Katie (ktmac_1) I just buy another bookshelf. I can't part with my books. I will get rid of other things to make room for books. They are all over the house: on shelves, in plastic tubs in the garage and under the bed, in decorative baskets on the floor, piled up on my nightstand, in over the door shoe organizers (These are great for small paperbacks), in my purse, and in my car trunk. I have a problem.

message 13: by Anastasia (new)

Anastasia (anastasiaharris) | 319 comments Ana I usually do the same thing. It must be a book I will read again several times to earn a place on my shelf. I have a library in my home, but my books have expanded into other rooms. Craft books in the craft room, cookbooks in the kitchen, each child has a book case in their room, and a currently reading shelf in my bedroom. Books are my addiction.

message 14: by Cait (new)

Cait (clickcait) | 480 comments I just reorganised my bookcases this morning. It was quite scary seeing every book I own laid out on the living room floor and I fully intended to sort out some to donate.

I'm getting rid of exactly one! And that's because it's a duplicate. I fail.

message 15: by Connie (new)

Connie Weeks | 58 comments I've weeded out my books maybe 4 times in my 25 years of living. One when I was a kid going from picture books to chapter books. Two when I went from chapter books to young adult novels. Three when I packed my things to move away after college. And four when I condensed my books a year after getting married and not having all the time in the world to read all of them.

I figure if I can no longer enjoy a book, I should find a way to share the books with others that will get enjoyment from it.

message 16: by Christi (last edited Feb 09, 2015 02:12PM) (new)

Christi | 44 comments I rarely buy books. I get them from the library.
Plus I never reread a book so there's no need to keep them.
If I do buy one, almost always I send along the book off to a friend to read.
The books I have kept are ones I love from childhood or cookbooks!

message 17: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Barstad (maidenoflight) Maybe once a year. I go through the kids books and look for any that are severely damaged/torn up and toss them out. For my own, i don't own many actual books right now, but the ones I do own I will never get rid of because they are part of a series.

message 18: by Marah (new)

Marah (eyreo) I only remove the books that I didn't like/know I won't ever read again. I take them to the local used bookstore for credit for other books. I skim through them at least once a month to see if there is anything I don't want. I sometimes give them to friends or family members if I don't feel like driving across town too!

message 19: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Winchester I buy and get books in much larger quantities than I remove from my library. I only remove books that I didn't like and I'm never going to read again (usually right after reading them). That being said though, the only books I removed in three years were Fifty Shades of Gray and Mr. Mercedes. Other than that I was quite succesful at buying books I like and getting only the books I requested.
I'm in desperate need of new bookshelves :).

message 20: by Charity (new)

Charity (faeryrebel78) I usually just get rid of books after i read them if it is something I will never read again. I have a box in my closet I put them in and take them to the used book store. There is a huge used book store that I love a few hours from home that I go to once a year and take the box with me for trade. If it gets too full I will take some to my local used book store but I have so much credit there I usually just buy more.

message 21: by Joan (new)

Joan (lubazuck) I usually purchase used books at the library sale once a year then I put them in boxes according to the published date. I do exchange books with friends so the books are always moving around. I try to read e-books in between also. I usually like to clean my Goodreads site out once a month also with my "to read" books.

message 22: by Jody (new)

Jody (jodybell) | 531 comments Not very often!

I did a spring clean when I was packing up to move from Australia to Switzerland two years ago but I don't think I got rid of too many. A bunch went into storage, which I'm now regretting as I can't remember what's in there!

I picked a few out to get rid of about six months ago but they're still sitting on a shelf in the office. I only plan on getting rid of books that I really didn't like (eg. Gone Girl) and know that I'll never read again. But even now, saying that ... what if someone wants to borrow it!?

Yeah. I'll just buy another bookshelf, or like, sell my bed and sleep on the couch.

message 23: by Territadlock06 (new)

Territadlock06 | 20 comments I have a problem giving them away. I also have books in every room of the house, as well as on my reader. If I do give books away it is usually the ones I have been given. Having a kindle has helped, I now check out the majority of my books from the library. It was that or build another bookcase. Lol

unread topics | mark unread

Authors mentioned in this topic

Marie Kondō (other topics)