2017 Reading Challenge discussion

The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian
2015 Challenge topics > The Absolutely True Diary of a Part Time Indian by Sherman Alexie

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Kathy I have been wanting to read this one for a while. It was very good writing. It is both required reading in many schools and a banned book by many parents and schools for language, sexual references and being inappropriate for age. I think high schoolers would get a lot out of this book with regards to the social themes represented. Plus, as a bonus, it is simply humorous and entertaining.

Charlotte Weber I loved this book. I had to read it for my Young Adult Lit class in college. It is funny and reads true to the teenage mindset. Often authors can get caught up with trying to sound like a teenager but I think Alexie nails it right on the head.

message 3: by Sarah (last edited Nov 05, 2015 05:03PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sarah (sekaplan) | 54 comments I haven't been doing the challenge since April (working again, fell in love with comic books) so I didn't expect to be back. But since it is a banned book, I guess I will use it for the challenge. I liked it. It's a solid middle-grade book and even though I understand why it's been banned (the talk of masterbation, the violent deaths, the non-PC language) are all reason I like it is I think it's main character is both honest and a voice not often heard in Youth/YA literature. I also like that it ends with Junior's/Arnold's freshman year. Everyone's life is still so full of possibilities. It's hopeful without being unrealistic. 4 stars.