Mount TBR 2015 discussion

To Kill a Mockingbird
This topic is about To Kill a Mockingbird
Buddy Reads > To Kill a Mockingbird [starting Feb 15th]

Comments Showing 1-50 of 101 (101 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

Nadia (heartlesstree) | 90 comments Zaara and I are reading TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD, starting Feb 15th, thus the reason for this thread.

Everyone who wishes to join us is welcome to!

Zaara Yeah...all are welcome, you know what they say...the more...

Nadia (heartlesstree) | 90 comments Good thing we are reading TKAM this month, apparently author Harper Leer is releasing a sequel in July. Her first book in 55 years :O

http://bookriot.com/2015/02/03/second...

message 4: by Zaara (last edited Feb 03, 2015 08:15AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Zaara Wow, tks for the update! Yea we really should congratulate ourselves for that happy accident :-)

Zaara Hi Nadia...wanted to give u a heads up...I'm starting...
Have a great Sunday and happy reading...

Nadia (heartlesstree) | 90 comments Zaara wrote: "Hi Nadia...wanted to give u a heads up...I'm starting...
Have a great Sunday and happy reading..."

Thanks for the heads up. I'm starting later in the day.

How do you want to do this, like we each read at our own pace, or like a certain amount of chapters per week ? IDK.

Happy reading and Happy sunday to you too! :)

Zaara I'm not a very fast reader, so let's go at our own pace and post our thoughts, questions, reading updates as we go...say for every three chapters or so...
Nice and leisurely...what do you reckon?

message 8: by Zaara (last edited Feb 16, 2015 12:16AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Zaara I'm done with the first 3 chapters.

Chapter 1
(view spoiler)

Chapter 2
(view spoiler)

Chapter 3
(view spoiler)
A layered background is being crafted...

message 9: by Cath (new) - added it

Cath Russell Zaara and Nadia, I hope you're both enjoying the book? Sorry I can't join you, it's school half-term in the UK and I have my grandkids staying. Will come back and read your thoughts when I've read the book. :-)

Zaara Cath wrote: "Zaara and Nadia, I hope you're both enjoying the book? Sorry I can't join you, it's school half-term in the UK and I have my grandkids staying. Will come back and read your thoughts when I've read ..."

No worries Cath. Family comes first, and I see you're making good progress on your climb. Cheers!

Zaara Done with today's read of three chapters. How far have you gotten, Nadia?

Chapter 4
(view spoiler)

Chapter 5
(view spoiler)

Chapter 6
(view spoiler)

This section mainly dealt with (view spoiler)
I'm enjoying my read so far, but by now I'm also wondering when the real action starts...so far it's been 6 chapters of world building.

Nadia (heartlesstree) | 90 comments Cath wrote: "Zaara and Nadia, I hope you're both enjoying the book? Sorry I can't join you, it's school half-term in the UK and I have my grandkids staying. Will come back and read your thoughts when I've read ..."

Hello Cath! That's okay. We'll be here when you get back :)

Nadia (heartlesstree) | 90 comments Zaara wrote: "I'm not a very fast reader, so let's go at our own pace and post our thoughts, questions, reading updates as we go...say for every three chapters or so...
Nice and leisurely...what do you reckon?"

I think that's perfect! I'm a slow reader too, and in the week I don't have much time between classes and work, during the weekends I'll probably make faster progress.

Nadia (heartlesstree) | 90 comments Zaara wrote: "Done with today's read of three chapters. How far have you gotten, Nadia?

I've only read CHAPTER 1. It's only the "intro" to the book and world, but I'm really liking it so far. I'm very curious about Boo Radley, and I like that it's easy to read, I was afraid it was going to be hard to get through/understand.

Zaara Nope...its an easy and fast read...and the chapters are short!

message 16: by Zaara (last edited Feb 19, 2015 08:39PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Zaara Nadia wrote: "I think that's perfect! I'm a slow reader too, and in the week I don't have much time between classes and work, during the weekends I'll probably make faster progress."

Ok great! Then I shall just chug on in slices...I won't have any time during the weekend so you'll probably catch up quite easily...

message 17: by Nadia (last edited Feb 20, 2015 03:25PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nadia (heartlesstree) | 90 comments Zaara wrote: "I'm done with the first 3 chapters.

Chapter 1...

I read the first 3!

(view spoiler)

message 18: by Zaara (last edited Feb 20, 2015 11:45PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Zaara Nadia wrote: "I read the first 3!"

Great points, Nadia. In reply, hmmm...lemme see, never really thought about their mother but maybe we will find out more about her as we read on. So far, although nothing is said about her, I get the feeling she died when Scout was too young to remember anything about her even (or else you know Scout she'd have said something by now ;-P )
Re why they call Atticus by his first name...he is more a friend to them, but that doesn't make him any less their father (this becomes much more patent in Chapters 6-9)..plus he (and Maudie) treat them like little adults and never talk down to them or baby them in any manner. I think this is indicative of a household where (a) there is no Mom around to reinforce the 'Daddy' meme...'Daddy is home' or "dont speak like that to your father' or just 'Where's your Dad?'
and (b) their level of comfort with him.
He certainly is a perceptive and wise father, certainly a rather unusual one. Makes you wonder about his own childhood....hmmmm...and yes, his wife too. Do you reckon (hypothetically) his marriage was a happy one?

Zaara Read three more chapters yesterday (Friday)
Chapter 7
(view spoiler)

Zaara Chapter 8
(view spoiler)

Chapter 9
(view spoiler)

Zaara Taking a break for the weekend...

message 22: by Nadia (last edited Feb 21, 2015 07:51PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nadia (heartlesstree) | 90 comments Zaara wrote: "Nadia wrote: "I read the first 3!"

Great points, Nadia. In reply, hmmm...lemme see, never really thought about their mother but maybe we will find out more about her as we read on. So far, althoug..."

- What you said about the mother tickled my memory, and I had to look for it or it was going to drive me crazy ha.

"Atticus’s wife died when Scout was two, so she does not remember her mother well. But Jem, four years older than Scout, has memories of their mother that sometimes make him unhappy." (from Chapter 1)

From Spark Notes: http://www.sparknotes.com/lit/mocking...

- I think that makes sense (not having a mother to reinforce calling Atticus "Dad/Daddy/etc". The kids calling him Atticus also speaks to me of closeness and respect in a way.

- Oh yes his childhood. It makes me question about the kid's grandparents...like what happened to them and what they were like. But it sounds like Atticus had to be the responsible one since he was young maybe? Helping pay for his brother's studies and all.

- I think his marriage might have been a happy one. But that could be wishful thinking from my part. It's just he doesn't seem bitter at all and there are no signs of anything bad having had happened in his marriage? But there are no good signs either, because there's barely any commentary about the mother (for now), so it's all speculation. What do you think ?

message 23: by Nadia (last edited Feb 21, 2015 08:11PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nadia (heartlesstree) | 90 comments Zaara wrote: "Done with today's read of three chapters. How far have you gotten, Nadia?

Chapter 4

Surprise gifts, make believe games, and laughter in the Radley house...
NB- When I was a child, my made up game..."

Chapter 4
(view spoiler)

Chapter 5
(view spoiler)

Chapter 6
(view spoiler)

Zaara Monday's read was shorter...only two chapters...I've reached the end of Part 1...

Chapter 10
(view spoiler)

Chapter 11
(view spoiler)

Zaara Here's my reading update...took a day's break from this. Read five more chapters...but my WiFi is down and I'm on from the app so will post a bulk update moro.

message 26: by Nadia (last edited Feb 28, 2015 12:07PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nadia (heartlesstree) | 90 comments Chapter 7

(view spoiler)

Chapter 8

(view spoiler)

Chapter 9

(view spoiler)

message 27: by Nadia (last edited Feb 28, 2015 12:17PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nadia (heartlesstree) | 90 comments Zaara wrote: "Read three more chapters yesterday (Friday)
Chapter 7

Three takeaways for me from this one:

1. More gifts in the knot-hole of the tree from their mysterious friend who somehow seems to understand..."

#2 + #3 = I think that's just further proof of both children are a reflection of their father (not that every child is like, but after all this is how they learn to socialize via their primary carers). So yes I definitely agree these good qualities reflect back to Atticus, he teaches them with his example.

"We see a flash of Jem and Scout's sense of fairness (the word I used earlier - RIGHTness)...shows how deep their sense of fair play is ingrained, dont you think. I LOVE how Harper Lee shows us such things obliquely."

I like how she's showing it us to us too! Some authors like to describe rather than show, but it's brilliant that Harper Lee decided to go the other way. Sets up a good base for what might happen ahead. And I think this covers not only fairness, rightness and fair play but also justice and respect.

"The sense of friendship/kinship with an unseen/unknown person can be deep...I identify with it strongly. i have several penpals (an old-fashioned word for the Twitter age, dont you think?) around the world and honestly, isnt that what we all are doing here on Goodreads? Connecting with unseen friends?"

Haha very old-fashioned! But I think it's amazing that there are still people doing this! And it's definitely true that penpals have evolved into the internet. I remember I use to have an "email buddy" (a penpal but via email) and it was always fun writing to her about my day and stuff. It goes to show how even tho some may say technology is taking away our humanity, it can also have the contrary effect, it can connects us to other people we would otherwise never know. I have friends all over the world because of the internet and I wouldn't change it for anything.

Nadia (heartlesstree) | 90 comments Zaara wrote: "Chapter 8

I call this the Fire and Ice chapter
1. It was cute and oddly touching...Scout's first reaction to snow...
"The world's ending, Atticus...please do something-!"...when we are kids, we th..."

Zaara wrote: "Chapter 8

I call this the Fire and Ice chapter
1. It was cute and oddly touching...Scout's first reaction to snow...
"The world's ending, Atticus...please do something-!"...when we are kids, we th..."

Chapter 8

Haha, clever name. It reminds me of the Game of Thrones book series (A Song of Ice and Fire).

It was cute indeed. And that’s exactly what I thought about when Scout called for Atticus. I even wrote it in the book, a comment about how kids usually view their parents as heroes. I think that belief changes when we realize our parents are people just like us, either they end up disappointing you in some way or you see them “fall” and make mistakes. Sometimes even both.

I have always live in a tropical island, so I don’t know anything about snow except that it must be cold ha.

I wrote about what I thought of Maudie in my commentary of the chapter and I feel kind of bad about it haha, when I saw how happy she was I got suspicious and thought maybe she had started the fire since she said she didn’t like her house in the first place. Goes to show you how cynical I am at times.
But it’s true, it is a beautiful sentiment. I can’t say that it's one we see much of these days.

Chapter 9

God Zaara you are so good at this. I feel like whenever I finish a chapter I can only talk about it in terms of whether I liked it or not haha. But you have all this awesome commentary on it!

I think what you picked up from this chapter is very accurate.

Especially here:

“recognising the 'big' moments of our lives when they come to us and doing something about them.”

“Its about talking about things when you are hurt...and admitting when you're wrong.”

Scout has done something it has taken me years to learn, she talks when she’s upset and when someone hurts her, she doesn’t leave the wound to fester (of course that’s after defending herself haha). I loved that she gave Jack a “lesson” (and how she told him he know nothing about kids haha) just by being honest about what had happened. And that Jack listened and planned to take action, he showed her he was sorry and that was she was saying mattered.

Oh those family gatherings, when you get to see people from your own family that you don’t even like. Those can be brutal, which is what we see in this chapter.

I really liked Jack, and Alexandra was frustrating to me. It makes wonder again about the Finch parents. Alexandra’s attitude is probably a product of what she was taught. What she was trying to teach Scout about being a lady must have been what she “had” to learn too. I love when Atticus tells Scouts that Alexandra doesn't know anything about girls because she doesn't have one (BUT hey, she’s one, so she’s teaching what she thinks being a girl is all about.) But it’s curious to me how despite her saying that about girls, she wants to teach her grandson to cook, an activity that’s usually viewed as being for “women”.

Jack was easy to like right away because of how he is with the kids. He seems friendly, respectful and a good listener. It seems that Atticus and him have a good relationship.
Atticus kills me. He says that despite knowing how it will end he must take the case, because otherwise how could he live with himself? I want to say he’s great and brave, but honestly? He’s just being a decent human being, what the others in town don’t seem to be.

What are your thoughts on the Finch siblings?

Finch’s Landing sounds weird and confusing as heck. I don't even know what to tell about it besides commenting on how Simon Finch seemed to be a supremely sexist and paranoid fellow. What's your take on the Landing?

I LOVED the final paragraph of the chapter. I want to know how Atticus knew Scout was listening too, but it has to be pure father instinct, he knows his kids after all. He wanted Scout to listen because: he wants to prepare her +he knows she can understand what he means + he’s telling her to trust him +he’s showing her to be brave in a way. What did you think?

message 29: by Nadia (last edited Feb 28, 2015 06:44PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nadia (heartlesstree) | 90 comments Zaara wrote: "Monday's read was shorter...only two chapters...I've reached the end of Part 1...

Chapter 10

This is the chapter with the famous sentence...you know somehow (I had probably overhyped it in my hea..."

Chapter 10

The sentence I think is most famous is yet to come (at least famous to me). I'll tell you when we come across it.

I liked when Miss Maudie said:
"I think maybe he put his gun down when he realized that God had given him an unfair advantage over most living things." That speaks of Atticus' sense of fairness and respect, and how others view him.

The end of this chapter was so impressive to me. Like when Jem said "if he was proud of it he would have told us", idk it almost gave me chills. It makes you think how many things you may not know about the people you love, how you never end up fully knowing someone, it's the "little" moments like this one that make a person and that let you see their true selves, or little snippets of them you may not see otherwise. I'm not saying Atticus is the kind of person who would go around shooting things, but now it makes sense to me, in a way at least, why he gave his children rifles as presents, and it's easier to know him not because he's the best shooter in town but because he is and he doesn't like to be known for it and hadn't let his children know it.

Chapter 11

What a lesson in courage!

I don't know about Jem missing her, but I think this is going to mark him forever, one way or another. But I do think he's going to be sad for a while (if he isn't already?).

Random comment: I never thought this book was going to be as funny as it is. I love that it manages to be funny while being sad/realistic and teaching us.

Zaara @Nadia: re the final sentence in Chapter 9...
Nadia wrote: "I LOVED the final paragraph of the chapter. I want to know how Atticus knew Scout was listening too, but it has to be pure father instinct, he knows his kids after all. He wanted Scout to listen because: he wants to prepare her +he knows she can understand what he means + he’s telling her to trust him +he’s showing her to be brave in a way. What did you think?

There are two voices in the book...Scout at 7-9 years old and the adult Scout looking back. This sentence is the voice of adult Scout...and to me it says that the words of Atticus were something she thought about many times through the years and never forgot. One of those conversations in life that we overhear as kids and they stick in the head...everyone has these.

Zaara Nadia wrote: "What are your thoughts on the Finch siblings?"

I wish there had been more of Uncle Jack, to be honest. The brothers seem more likeable thru most of the book and have a obvious stronger bond. Alexandra is a bit of a snob and a product of her times...I won't say more about her 'cuz it would give away major spoilers but you will see more of her in the book. We will talk more about her character development then.

Zaara Nadia wrote: "Random comment: I never thought this book was going to be as funny as it is. I love that it manages to be funny while being sad/realistic and teaching us. "

Your random comment made me smile, Nadia.
Although the truly serious part of the book is yet to begin...we learn so much obliquely. For example, in my personal life, I'm trying to die-addict myself...not from any substance but from a toxic relationship. It can be very hard when you are used to having something in your life that you are "dependent" on it (like Dubose was with morphine) to wean yourself off cold turkey.
Harper Lee is teaching me...and not just about racial relationships and basic humanity. She is also teaching me about how to live courageously in little ways.
So yea, your random comment was TOTALLY relevant!

message 33: by Zaara (last edited Feb 28, 2015 09:03PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Zaara I haven't read the SparkNotes (I was afraid of major spoilers due to their analysis) but I will go and have a look now that I have finished the book.

Regarding Boo:
Nadia wrote: "After what seems to be a history of being abused by his family members, we can see why Boo interacts with others this way. But despite it all he wants to makes friends! And he's wise, he chooses the kids (or was drawn to them after how close they had been to the house and him.)"

I think he chooses the kids because they're non judgemental and they are the only ones in the town who try to reach out to him and take an intense interest in him...after being ignored and isolated by everyone, including his family, he must crave that kind of warmth.

message 34: by Zaara (last edited Feb 28, 2015 09:29PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Zaara Here's my thoughts on the next 3 chapters...you know, I had a pink pencil with me as I read and kept underlining and making little notes to myself as I read...I don't do this for all my reads, only the ones I'm really into.

Chapter 12
(view spoiler)

message 35: by Zaara (last edited Feb 28, 2015 09:40PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Zaara Chapter 13
(view spoiler)

Zaara Chapter 14
(view spoiler)

Zaara Nadia wrote: "God Zaara you are so good at this. I feel like whenever I finish a chapter I can only talk about it in terms of whether I liked it or not haha. But you have all this awesome commentary on it!"

Awwww geee, thanks Nadia. What a genuine and beautiful compliment! Sure brightened up my day. Actually a good reading partner makes for a great and vibrant discussion, so more power (and equal thanks) to you as well! Also we have a great book to talk about. If it was meh, well, then what can you talk about? So all HAAAAAAIL Harper Lee.
I've found so many wonderful reading buddies here on GR...but I must say I got lucky when you stopped by my TBR thread and decided to post there!

Nadia (heartlesstree) | 90 comments Zaara wrote: "@Nadia: re the final sentence in Chapter 9...
Nadia wrote: "I LOVED the final paragraph of the chapter. I want to know how Atticus knew Scout was listening too, but it has to be pure father instin..."

Yes, that makes a lot of sense. And it means that the words probably had the effect Atticus desired.

Nadia (heartlesstree) | 90 comments Zaara wrote: " Nadia wrote: "Random comment: I never thought this book was going to be as funny as it is. I love that it manages to be funny while being sad/realistic and teaching us. "

Your random comment mad..."

"She is also teaching me about how to live courageously in little ways."

I feel the same way. For example this part "but before I can live with other folks I've got to live with myself. The one thing that doesn't abide by majority rule is a person's conscience." hit me pretty hard. It's something I want to remember always.

Anything you might be addicted to will always be hard to leave because there's a reason you thought you needed it that much in the first place. It sucks that you are going through it, but it's really good that you realized the toxicity of that relationship and you are taking the steps to taking better care of yourself. You can do it Zaara! :) and if you need to talk I'm always around.

Nadia (heartlesstree) | 90 comments Zaara wrote: "Here's my thoughts on the next 3 chapters...you know, I had a pink pencil with me as I read and kept underlining and making little notes to myself as I read...I don't do this for all my reads, only..."

Chapter 12 was very interesting. We are seeing how things are in town with people of color via Scout and Jem, who are finally beginning to understand (or just realize) how things truly are, which is in preparation of what's to come.

I agree about the Cal "leading two lives" bit being realistic, it's the struggle of trying to fit in.

I don't have any siblings so I can't share any memories like that, but I have to say it doesn't sound fun haha.

I found myself missing Dill a bit in this chapter. Hopefully we will see him again. I think Scout and him are adorable.

About your p.s: Ha, I love that Scout notices and does things like that. That kid.

Nadia (heartlesstree) | 90 comments Zaara wrote: " Nadia wrote: "God Zaara you are so good at this. I feel like whenever I finish a chapter I can only talk about it in terms of whether I liked it or not haha. But you have all this awesome commenta..."

And now you are brightening mine! :) :)

We both got lucky!

message 42: by Nadia (last edited Mar 01, 2015 08:26PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nadia (heartlesstree) | 90 comments I stopped on Chapter 12. This week is pretty busy for me because of college, but I will try to make some progress. There's always the weekend if that doesn't work. Thanks for sticking around even after having finished!

Hope you have a good week!

Zaara Nadia wrote: "This week is pretty busy for me because of college, but I will try to make some progress. There's always the weekend if that doesn't work. Thanks for sticking around even after having finished!"

Tyt. No pressure at all...I'm along for the whole ride. In fact I felt a bit guilty about racing ahead. Re sticking arnd, I never even considered anything else. I'm enjoying the discussion and this is a book well worth dissecting in depth. So many life lessons!

message 44: by Zaara (last edited Mar 03, 2015 07:10PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Zaara Ok...good morning (from here) Nadia, here is another three chapters update!
Chapter 15
(view spoiler)

message 45: by Zaara (last edited Mar 03, 2015 07:20PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Zaara Chapter 16
(view spoiler)

Chapter 17
(view spoiler)

We've reached the halfway point in the book...any fave scenes/chapters yet?

message 46: by Nadia (last edited Mar 07, 2015 04:14PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nadia (heartlesstree) | 90 comments Zaara wrote: "Chapter 13

Aunt Alexandra is here to stay. Scout and Jem are so dismayed, their 'gosh awful sense of doom' it's comical!
:-) I swear I had an auntie-granny who made me feel the same way. Poor good..."

Chapter 13 was a mix of funny and annoying for me. Oh Aunt Alexandra. She's molded by society and customs and is very self-righteous, which obviously means she fits well in Maycomb.

I really don't know what to think of that last sentence. Does Scout mean that it was a woman's task to talk about family and "proper ways to behave" which is why Atticus couldn't do it? (and thus saying women are awful and her father is not) Or was she saying that he was "weak" and couldn't stand his ground as opposed to women? I feel like it was probably the first, but I don't like that view much to be honest.

message 47: by Nadia (last edited Mar 07, 2015 04:21PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nadia (heartlesstree) | 90 comments Zaara wrote: "Chapter 14

Aunty tries to get rid of Cal. That annoyed me majorly. I love how Atticus dealt with it...calmly, yet firmly. What.a.man.
Scout and Jem have a fight (Jem is growing sensitive and even ..."

I liked how Atticus dealt with it too. I really like Cal and I want her to stick around.

I'm starting to worry about Atticus' well-being. He has a lot to deal with and that started becoming more obvious in this chapter.

Dill is back! Yay!

I think Jem growing up is hilarious, his attitude about it at least. I think he's becoming very observant and thoughtful like you said, I just wish he was nicer to Scout (tho is obvious they have a good relationship nonetheless and that they love each other very much).

Haha that would be great. Lots of inventions from your head.

The last sentence about Boo Radley not having somewhere to run off to broke my heart, because it highlighted him being alone while telling us Dill considers Maycomb his home.
(and it was so sad hearing about how Dill's not happy with his parents).

message 48: by Nadia (last edited Mar 08, 2015 06:20PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nadia (heartlesstree) | 90 comments Zaara wrote: "Ok...good morning (from here) Nadia, here is another three chapters update!
Chapter 15

Tom comes to Maycomb jail.
I call this the 'little lady' chapter. Isn't it wonderful how Scout saves them all..."

I love that you give names to the chapters haha.

I think it would have been so interesting seen the last scene from this chapter from the POV of Atticus (or any other of the present adults maybe) to see what Scout must have looked like on the "outside".

Both Jem and Scout deserve a slow clap for their actions here. Scout was brave without realizing it in the end, while Jem kept going to protect his father.

Masterstroke indeed. Maybe because this way the events in the novel are easier to digest? or maybe easier to understand through the eyes of a child that sees things as more "simple" than adults do?

message 49: by Nadia (last edited Mar 08, 2015 06:19PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nadia (heartlesstree) | 90 comments Zaara wrote: "Chapter 16

Court scenes are about to start. It's like a carnival almost in Maycomb, everyone is dressed up and going to the courthouse with baskets of food...only the 'spectacle' is the life of an..."

Chapters 16-17

"only the 'spectacle' is the life of an innocent man."

- Yes! It is heartbreaking and ridiculous.
People know or agree about the Ewells being awful, but they rather believe them than a black man. And then everyone goes to see the "spectacle". Seriously ?

- From the new characters so far I liked Judge Taylor and his "lazy" but observant way of ruling his court ha.

"I think Lee physically placed them there to underline the point...innocence and truth are on *THIS* side...what do you think?"

- I liked that. And having them interact with the Reverend...the simple way of saying it is "hey the good/just guys are all sitting here." (or most of them at least)

We've reached the halfway point in the book...any fave scenes/chapters yet?

- Right now I can't recall any favorite scenes. Maybe the one after the fire when Scout and Jem are with Atticus and they all realize Boo Radley put the blanket around them and Jem starts freaking out and defending Boo.

What I'm sure of is that my favorite quote so far is this one:

"...before I can live with other folks I've got to live with myself. The one thing that doesn't abide by majority rule is a person's conscience."

What about your favorite scenes/quotes/etc?

message 50: by Zaara (last edited Mar 10, 2015 11:10AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Zaara Nadia wrote: "What about your favorite scenes/quotes/etc"

There are many, from the first half, hmmmm, let's see...awwwww goshme, Nadia, I picked up the book to flip thru it and see which scenes struck me the most and I just realised I already discussed them all with you in detail...ouch! It's probably because I post my chapter updates first and therefore pretty much already talked about what strikes me....So this will be a repeat...
sorry :-(
Maudie's reaction to losing everything,the snowman, Scout overhearing her Atticus and Uncle Jack....also (this is not a scene but a theme thru the book) Scout's complete failure to 'be a lady' as her Auntie Alex wants.

More faves from the entire book are:
DONT OPEN THIS SPOILER UNTIL YOU READ THE WHOLE BOOK (view spoiler)

« previous 1 3