You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

Closed Discussion Topic > Not Yet, but Soon

Comments Showing 1-45 of 45 (45 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by jaxnsmom (new)

jaxnsmom | 8271 comments The Toppler will be posted tomorrow. Timing will depend on when I get home from work. Fridays usually end between 9 and 11 pm.

Don't worry about it. This Toppler is not as complicated as the last team one. Everyone should end up being able to read something they want.

I woke up from a dream and had to change a bit about the tasks, which took a little rearranging and some new wording.

message 2: by Almeta (new)

Almeta (menfrommarrs) | 10088 comments jaxnsmom wrote: "The Toppler will be posted tomorrow. Timing will depend on when I get home from work. Fridays usually end between 9 and 11 pm.

Don't worry about it. This Toppler is not as complicated as the la..."

Was that a "Dream Date" dream?

message 3: by Almeta (new)

Almeta (menfrommarrs) | 10088 comments (view spoiler) ;P

message 4: by Sandra (new)

Sandra (sanlema) | 9294 comments @ Almeta (view spoiler)

message 5: by Tejas Janet (new)

Tejas Janet (tejasjanet) | 3513 comments Almeta wrote: Was that a "Dream Date" dream?

Good one!

message 6: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments Looking forward to seeing what you have got lined up for us Jmom! :)

message 7: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) | 2864 comments Lisa wrote: "Looking forward to seeing what you have got lined up for us Jmom! :)"

Me too! And I'm really glad it'll be less complicated. Looking forward to it! :D

message 8: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Yay!! Can't wait!!

excited despicables photo exciteddespicables.gif

message 9: by Tejas Janet (new)

Tejas Janet (tejasjanet) | 3513 comments Toppler-opoly was amazingly monumental, but I'm happy for simpler this go round. Nice and easy sounds like just what the doctor ordered about now. Achooo... that's me sneezing for the umpteenth time this week. Cedar and mold allergies bad here in the allergy capital of the world. Bleh.

message 10: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Bleh for allergies :( hope you feel better soon :)

message 11: by Ava Catherine (new)

Ava Catherine | 4258 comments I am all for simplicity. Sounds good to me. : )

message 12: by Debra (new)

Debra (debra_t) | 6542 comments Anticipation...

message 13: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18169 comments Simple or complex. It will be great fun either way! Loving the minions!

message 14: by Elsbeth (new)

Elsbeth (elsbethgm) | 1136 comments Yes, we are like a bunch of minions, waiting for Gru to tell us what to do... :)

message 15: by Sandra (new)

Sandra (sanlema) | 9294 comments Minions are the best!

Get better soon, TJ.

message 16: by Elsbeth (new)

Elsbeth (elsbethgm) | 1136 comments What is the allergy capital of the world, TJ?
I hope you feel better soon (not in the last place to be able to participate in full during this toppler - since you are on my team ;)...)!

And I agree: Toppler-opoly was great, but maybe sometimes a bit complicated - which is fine when you are feeling well, but not with all those flu-germs etc. around...

message 17: by Laura (last edited Jan 23, 2015 05:44AM) (new)

Laura (apenandzen) | 2864 comments Tejas Janet wrote: "Toppler-opoly was amazingly monumental, but I'm happy for simpler this go round. Nice and easy sounds like just what the doctor ordered about now. Achooo... that's me sneezing for the umpteenth tim..."

I hope you're breathing clear real soon.

A man who runs a natural pharmacy place recommended Quercetin for my allergies and it got me off prescribed drugs, so I'm passing it on. 500mg 3x a day with meals and a glass of water. Worked like a charm for me - and it's an antioxidant vitamin, so no side effects. Comes from apples and brightly colored fruits/veggies. GNC and health food stores have it and Amazon too.

message 18: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 16859 comments From the other allergy capital on the other side of the world, hope you feel better TJ. Mine have been fine for about 6 weeks, and today went ballistic again. So much rain and cool weather at the moment, I think the plants think it's the second coming of spring.

message 19: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18169 comments Thanks for the allergy rec Laura. I'm gonna check them out.

message 20: by Gail (new)

Gail (appleshoelace) | 779 comments jaxnsmom wrote: " This Toppler is not as complicated as the last team one ..."

Hehe, that is a relief. I enjoyed the last one, but it was complicated, and I was imagining each team toppler might be more complicated than the last, and wondering about what if it was too complicated to fit into a spreadsheet! :-)

message 21: by KimeyDiann (new)

KimeyDiann | 2174 comments I'll be checking into Quercetin too! I have horrible year round allergies and I love all natural remedies. I'm a big user of essential oils and while they do seem to help boost my immune system, I haven't had the great allergy cure so many others have enjoyed.

message 22: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) | 2864 comments Sarah wrote: "Thanks for the allergy rec Laura. I'm gonna check them out."

No problem! I've told lots of people and I always hear good reports back. You do need to drink a nice glass of water (say 3/4 of a mug) when you take it - it makes it work better, I've noticed, and he did tell me that when he "prescribed" it. I hope it helps you.

message 23: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) | 2864 comments KimeyDiann wrote: "I'll be checking into Quercetin too! I have horrible year round allergies and I love all natural remedies. I'm a big user of essential oils and while they do seem to help boost my immune system, I ..."

I hope it helps you KimeyDiann!

message 24: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) | 2864 comments Gail wrote: "jaxnsmom wrote: " This Toppler is not as complicated as the last team one ..."

Hehe, that is a relief. I enjoyed the last one, but it was complicated, and I was imagining each team toppler might b..."

haha, I've thought about this too :)

message 25: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) | 2864 comments Rusalka wrote: "From the other allergy capital on the other side of the world, hope you feel better TJ. Mine have been fine for about 6 weeks, and today went ballistic again. So much rain and cool weather at the m..."

I hope you're feeling better soon, Rusalka. So many things going around right now, allergies or colds/flu.

message 26: by Casceil (new)

Casceil | 2615 comments One more tip for allergy sufferers. Use locally-produced honey, i.e. from local bees. This isn't a cure-all, but I found it did help after a friend told me about it.

message 27: by Almeta (last edited Jan 23, 2015 09:05AM) (new)

Almeta (menfrommarrs) | 10088 comments Casceil wrote: "One more tip for allergy sufferers. Use locally-produced honey, i.e. from local bees. This isn't a cure-all, but I found it did help after a friend told me about it."

Apparently honey has the ingredient as Quercetin.

message 28: by Casceil (new)

Casceil | 2615 comments I don't know about honey and Quercetin. The theory I was given was that local bees probably processed some of whatever I was allergic to, and exposure to it through honey made the body more willing to accept it.

message 29: by Almeta (last edited Jan 23, 2015 09:05AM) (new)

Almeta (menfrommarrs) | 10088 comments Casceil wrote: "I don't know about honey and Quercetin. The theory I was given was that local bees probably processed some of whatever I was allergic to, and exposure to it through honey made the body more willin..."

When I looked up Quercetin, honey was listed as one of its food sources.

message 30: by Sandra (new)

Sandra (sanlema) | 9294 comments Never thought about it Casceil, but it makes a lot of sense.

message 31: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) | 2864 comments I've heard local honey is good too - but I was told to take it at the first sign of a cold. And include lemon juice fresh squeezed and very warm water. Makes sense for allergies too tho.

message 32: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18169 comments I knew about the honey remedy but doesn't work much if you travel around a lot! And often it's not too easy to find locally produced (especially when you live in a city).

message 33: by KimeyDiann (last edited Jan 23, 2015 10:24AM) (new)

KimeyDiann | 2174 comments Laura, is there a brand you recommend or prefer?

I've tried the honey for allergies too, it didn't help unfortunately. I haven't found any natural remedies for allergies that do work for me, but I keep trying.
If I feel like I might be getting sick I drink green tea with honey, lemon essential oil, and an EO blend for immunity. I was a skeptic because I've tried so many natural remedies that don't work, but the EO's really do work for me. For colds they do anyway.

message 34: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) | 2864 comments Yes Kimey! Jarrow is the brand I use. Now is also good.

If any of you try this I'd love to know if it helps you also!

message 35: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18169 comments Interesting what you write about the EOs KimeyDiann. I trained as an Aromatherapist and here in the UK we are only able to use oils externally but I know in France (and clearly other countries too) they are often used internally, although I think they have to be prescribed by Doctors in France.

message 36: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) | 2864 comments Yeah, that's what scares me about those things is they're not supposed to be taken internally (at least from what I heard, although I admit knowing v little!)

People swear by them though, and I'm glad they're working for you - you obviously know what you're doing w/them, which is key, and I'd imagine, takes time.

message 37: by KimeyDiann (new)

KimeyDiann | 2174 comments I only know of a few companies that produce oils that can be taken internally. There are a couple direct sell companies that make them and a couple of other companies I know of. I personally use Spark Naturals because they have the same quality oils as the direct-sell companies at much better prices. And I don't have anyone pressuring me to buy.

message 38: by Gail (new)

Gail (appleshoelace) | 779 comments I use Japanese peppermint oil internally - I put drops in hot water and drink it and it really helps me with digestive problems. I buy it from Holland and Barrett and it says on the label that you can use it this way. You can also buy capsules with it in.

message 39: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 16859 comments Casceil wrote: "I don't know about honey and Quercetin. The theory I was given was that local bees probably processed some of whatever I was allergic to, and exposure to it through honey made the body more willin..."

We do this too for the same reasons. Been debating getting my own bees.

message 40: by Kazen (new)

Kazen Sarah wrote: "I knew about the honey remedy but doesn't work much if you travel around a lot! And often it's not too easy to find locally produced (especially when you live in a city)."

This! Pretty much all honey in Japan is import so this is a hard one for me. Interesting to hear all the remedies - I'm sure I'll be trying a few come spring. ^^;;

message 41: by Mariab (new)

Mariab | 3059 comments For all people who have troubles with allergies, perhaps this book which I bought today in AMZ can turn on a light:

Wicked Plants: The Weed That Killed Lincoln's Mother and Other Botanical Atrocities
Wicked Plants The Weed That Killed Lincoln's Mother and Other Botanical Atrocities by Amy Stewart

message 42: by Debra (new)

Debra (debra_t) | 6542 comments Mariab wrote: "For all people who have troubles with allergies, perhaps this book which I bought today in AMZ can turn on a light:

[book:Wicked Plants: The Weed That Killed Lincoln's Mother and Other Botanical A..."

Read that. Very interesting.

message 43: by Tejas Janet (new)

Tejas Janet (tejasjanet) | 3513 comments Elsbeth wrote: "What is the allergy capital of the world, TJ?
I hope you feel better soon (not in the last place to be able to participate in full during this toppler - since you are on my team ;)...)!

Elsbeth, that's what you hear Austinites often refer to Austin as - the allergy capital of the world. Austin styles itself as the live music capital of the world, and there is a ton of live music here, much of it very inexpensive. And it's a really pretty place, but allergies can be brutal here. It's not really the worst "in the world," but Texans are known for exaggerating and telling tall tales ;)

No joke tho that I've felt that getting the flu feeling for 2 straight weeks, but it's just allergies. Has developed into minor sinus infection. Using netti pot daily and allergy medicines sparingly because they make me feel anxious.

Seems better today yay : ) And it won't slow me down on toppler reading I don't think.

That book looks interesting, Mariab and Debra - Wicked Plants: The Weed That Killed Lincoln's Mother and Other Botanical Atrocities.

Btw, I do use local honey. Figure it may help. Plus, I like it : )

message 44: by ADPiBookworm (new)

ADPiBookworm I am really looking forward to participating in the next Toppler event. I love read-a-thons! Well hope everyone had a great Toppler!

message 45: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 47966 comments The next one will be a 24 hour one and will be in April. I'm glad you will join us.