SFF Readalongs led by Kitty G discussion

Deadhouse Gates (Malazan Book of the Fallen, #2)
This topic is about Deadhouse Gates
Deadhouse Gates Discussion > Thoughts Before We Start...

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kitty G Books (last edited Jan 22, 2015 08:52AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kitty G Books (kool_kat_kitty) | 671 comments Mod
A discussion for Deadhouse Gates, book 2 of the Malazan Book of the Fallen Series. Let me know why you plan on continuing with the series, any predictions you have, any thoughts or mysteries you want to uncover in book 2, and what you hope to see etc.
Basically anything you like just no spoilers :D

I have heard that book 2 was going to be Memories of Ice originally but this one ended up being published as the second book and so only a few of the characters are carried through into book 2 whilst more appear in book 3. Let me know what you guys think about that!

The cover has some cool fiery hounds so I am interested in them!

Officially this readalong starts on the 1st of Feb 2015.

No spoilers please :D

message 2: by Joey (new) - added it

Joey (mostlyjoe) Sounds fun. I think I can be ready to shift into it around Feb. I guess. Buddy reads are helpful, but I have a backlog and working at my own pace helps. So I'll try to join you. Deadhouse kinda sets up story arc 2 out of 3 in the series. Memories of Ice caries over from the events from Gardens from what I've been told. The events in this book set up book 4 and the later plot cross overs.

Alex Willis (fightingokra) | 71 comments I am stoked for this because I loved the first book which is supposedly the worst in the series. Even with a calm end to GotM there are a lot of intriguing plot lines being started. With most of GotM happening in Darujhistan, we have really learned very little about the entire world and I hope a larger portion is unveiled to us. I expect this to happen specifically in the travels of Kalam, Crokus and Apsalar. Of course I also want to hear more stories of the Bridgeburners, Kruppe and his crew as well as what is the deal with the mysterious Deadhouse.

One character I would love to see fleshed out more is the Empress. There has to be a lot more to Laseen and the empire's inner workings than we were informed in GotM. I am also curious to see if Adjunct Lorn can find a way to be reborn and how her suggested liking of Paran may mesh with the Tattersail/Paran love.

And of course there are the gods.....I hope we see more and more of the gods. Like I said I am stoked for this book.

message 4: by Marita (last edited Jan 22, 2015 02:22PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Marita | 3 comments I absolutly loved Gardens of the Moon and finished it in two days, when I first read it.
So it always surprises me when people say they found it the worst of the series or an alwful book entirely.

Deadhouse Gates is going to be a bumpy ride of epic proportions (in the positve way, of course) :) I really look forward to discussing this title with you guys.

peggylovesbooks | 36 comments Loved Garden of the Moon, I want to know more about Paran and Tattersail, well might as well say I want to know what happens with everyone from the first book. I'm going to start this book early since I will also be doing the buddy read on The Red Knight.

message 6: by Joey (new) - added it

Joey (mostlyjoe) Took me three tries to finish GoTM.

Evan | 67 comments Alright kids, Gardens of the Moon is good stuff. It's like a fun little adventure caper where everyone gets into some crazy situations. A city almost gets blown up, a Fete gets party crashed, demons get slain. It's been all fun and games up to this point.

Now the series really begins.

Some questions and mysteries raised in Gardens of the Moon will get resolved or at least expanded on. Questions you didn't even know you had will be answered. And many more mysteries will be introduced, one especially that will span several books in unraveling.

I don't mean to imply that this book is going to be so tonally different that it's going to be completely unrecognizable to you guys as Malazan. It's still Malazan, but on a whole other level.

Deadhouse Gates is no joke.

Paul (paul_sff) | 68 comments Evan, I think it is the mustache, but I think of you as my Malazan Ron Swanson. Giving advice and help to all of us Leslie Knopes. =) (hopefully you've seen Parks and Recreation)

Looking forward to Deadhouse Gates. =)

Evan | 67 comments Hahaha thanks. My cousin has said the same thing about me looking like Ron Swanson. That picture is actually something like six years old, but that mustache just makes me laugh.

Yeah, I've seen P&R, and I do treat my Malazan like Ron treats his meat (I treat my meat like he does too, but alas), it's a man's cuisine, accept no substitutes.

I just like seeing all the new folks reacting to the series. And hyping it as much as I can. Enjoy Deadhouse Gates, it's going to hurt.

message 10: by Chernz (new)

Chernz | 15 comments Already read this book before but looking forward to my first readalong (not to mention a reread of my favorite book in the Malazan series). Can't wait to hear everyone's thoughts and reactions! Also- hello everyone! New here but excited to chat with you all!