2017 Reading Challenge discussion

The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes
This topic is about The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes
15/Book of short stories > The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Heather (heatherbowman) Short stories really aren't my thing so I decided to "get this out of the way" early.

I've discovered that I am equally annoyed by the tone of these stories as I am by films and TV shows about Sherlock Holmes. Hero worship is something I despise across the board. The Victorian values are about to do my head in. Just once I'd like to see the criminal brought to justice. But I do really, really enjoy the parts of the stories were there is action and conversation.

I think I should have started by reading A Study in Scarlet since I prefer longer fiction. I've added that to my reading list for another time.

Valerie | 280 comments My favorite part is the deduction. But, I can see how the hero worship thing can get in the way.

I like short stories, but I decided to finally read this book because my husband has been after me to read Sherlock Holmes. I decided it would be good to do on my break at work.

I have heard so many of these stories, and have seen many adapted for play/TV/movie, that many of the reveals were already known. But, I am glad I tackled this book. I like the prose, but I am not sure I will read more. Mostly, because, again, I know all the reveals already.

Michelle Johnson (mascaratomidnight) Valerie wrote: "My favorite part is the deduction. But, I can see how the hero worship thing can get in the way.

I like short stories, but I decided to finally read this book because my husband has been after me ..."

I guess I havent seen much, beyond the recent movies with Robert Downey Jr, so that none of these were known to me.

Thanks for recommending this.