2021 & 2022 Reading Challenge discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
ARCHIVE - General > Advice for reading faster

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by April (new)

April  | 21 comments Hey guys! My name is April and I'd love some tips on how to read faster! I haven't gotten through a book since like December, so It would be greatly apperciated!!

message 2: by Poppy (new)

Poppy (poppymaeve) This isn't a tip for reading faster so much as reading more: I find that the perfect time to read is in the bath. It's amazingly relaxing and therapeutic. Also, I tend to read whilst brushing my teeth; sounds weird yes, but I have an electric toothbrush and it can get so boring just brushing them, so I now read while I brush my teeth (this is a useless post I'm sorry) x

message 3: by April (new)

April  | 21 comments Aww thats okay. I don't usaully take baths but now instead of feeling like falling asleep I will probably read, but how do you not get your book wet?!

message 4: by Courtney (new)

Courtney | 15 comments Join groups that have reading sprints. I did like, 20 and I finished my book. They helped me!

message 5: by April (last edited Jan 22, 2015 08:07AM) (new)

April  | 21 comments Courtney wrote: "Join groups that have reading sprints. I did like, 20 and I finished my book. They helped me!"

What do Sprints do?

message 6: by Courtney (new)

Courtney | 15 comments A group called Crazy For Young Adult Books has a bulletin board that explains it. If you join their group and just do the sprints, it's considered to be participating, obviously, but they're set up as time/length of when and how long you read for. Other people do it with you if people are on. Say we were to do one.
You would say T/L? and I would say, :10 for 20? Meaning start at :10 (we aren't all in the same time zone) and go for 20 minutes. You say ok and we would meet back to the reading sprint thread at :30, because that was our 20 minutes spent reading and tell each other how many pages we got to bust through in that sprint.
You usually do.multiple, but they're quick and fun for whenever :)

message 7: by Poppy (new)

Poppy (poppymaeve) Haha I think most of my books get a tiny bit damp but I don't mind much, I much prefer books that have a bit of wear - so that you can see that they've been loved x

message 8: by April (new)

April  | 21 comments Poppy wrote: "Haha I think most of my books get a tiny bit damp but I don't mind much, I much prefer books that have a bit of wear - so that you can see that they've been loved x"

Aww :D

Courtney wrote: "A group called Crazy For Young Adult Books has a bulletin board that explains it. If you join their group and just do the sprints, it's considered to be participating, obviously, but they're set up..."

Cool! I think I will do that!! :D I'm already in that group I'm thinking.

message 9: by Courtney (new)

Courtney | 15 comments Well, me and a couple of other ladies are doing a sprint at :15. Hope to see you there soon :)

message 10: by April (new)

April  | 21 comments Courtney wrote: "Well, me and a couple of other ladies are doing a sprint at :15. Hope to see you there soon :)"

Is that in 15 minutes?.... Does it need to be the same book?

message 11: by Courtney (new)

Courtney | 15 comments Starting at :15 and going for 15 minutes, yes.

message 12: by Courtney (new)

Courtney | 15 comments They can be any book you want. As long as you get some pages read :)

message 13: by April (new)

April  | 21 comments Courtney wrote: "Starting at :15 and going for 15 minutes, yes."

So you started two mins ago? :( I hope to get in one soon! :P

message 14: by Sharon (new)

Sharon (sharint) | 734 comments Always have your book with you so you can read when you have a couple minutes. Waiting in line at the drive-thru, at doctor's office, waiting for car to get repaired/washed/oil changed ... If I am having trouble getting through a book I try to read at least a couple pages every time I can.

message 15: by Cassandra (new)

Cassandra | 5832 comments The sprints are an interesting idea! I've never heard of that before.

I just always make sure to bring a book with me, especially when I know I'll be waiting for something or someone. A few pages here and there really add up. I also try to get in a few pages before bed every night.

message 16: by Jodi (new)

Jodi (readinbooks) | 1912 comments It is funny because I also read while brushing my teeth, for the same reason.

message 17: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia (cynthiab) | 8 comments I have plenty of free reading time these days, but I didn't always. I had to set aside time dedicated just for reading. That meant no phone calls, no running to get a snack, no singing whatever's on the radio, no brushing my teeth. Just focused reading. Be warned, focused reading is an addiction. You will love being transported to another world where there's no facebook or twitter or memes to LOL at.

Another key to 'reading more' is to choose books that fit you, rather than trying to read the books that 'everyone's reading'. Nothing goes slower than a poor read. I'm slow to pick it up, I grab at any excuse to put it down, and I daydream while I'm holding it rather than reading. Setting a poor book aside for a book that suits you better isn't a crime. It's smart reading.

message 18: by Meg (new)

Meg (megscl) | 272 comments I think there are lots of ways to spend more time reading, but actually changing the speed that you read is difficult. The only way I know of is to choose easy books! For me, reading some light and fluffy chick lit is up to twice as quick as reading something dense, like classic literature.

And I love reading in the bath too! I bought a waterproof cover for my kindle (about $10 on ebay) and now I can read in the bath, at the beach, whatever with no worries!

message 19: by Diane L (new)

Diane L | 45 comments There is an old quote that says, "If you've never said excuse me to a light post, you are wasting valuable reading time." Carry your book with you. Any time you find yourself just looking around at people, pull out your book and read. Sharon listed several ideas above.

Also, if you are a mom, read through your children's sports practices while you are waiting for them anyway, lunchtime at work, prop it up on the treadmill while working out.

If you like audiobooks, you'll get through more than you might think just driving around for your errands or walking the dog. Mine is always playing on a speaker while I'm in the shower and while I am cross stitching, crocheting or working on jigsaw puzzles (crossword puzzles does not work - trying to process words from both means one gets ignored).

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.