2015 Reading Challenge [Closed] discussion

Off Topic > When You Can't Finish a Book for the Challenge

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Manda (new)

Manda (bookwenchmanda) | 307 comments Okay, so I'm reading Pandora's Star by Peter F. Hamilton with a friend's recommendation, after a finished The Martian on New Years. I choose this book for the first week because it seemed interesting and was well over 500 pages, but as I am get further into it I find it utterly boring and filled with pointless details and over explaining. It feels like the author is not coherent while trying to talk down to the reader. I'm stuck. I want to finish it for the challenge, but have lost all motivation and will to finish this. After being 35% of the way through it I have to call it quits. I'm not sure I can read anymore of this. There is only one other book in my life that I have not finished (50 Shades of Gray; didn't make it past the first chapter).

What are your thoughts on giving up on a book during the challenge?

message 2: by Megan (new)

Megan (bookworm_booklover) | 170 comments I think if you're really hating it than put it down. The challenge is meant to be fun not stressful. However, I just read Horns and I was like 'this is ok' and around the 150 page mark I was going 'this is boring! I don't want to read about this' but I kept reading to see if it got better because I had heard good things, after that section it got a lot better!

message 3: by Manda (new)

Manda (bookwenchmanda) | 307 comments I keep hoping it will get better, but after 400 pages there hasn't even been a flicker of hope. I normally don't read reviews until after I've finished a book, but I took a peak last night and it seems that other people have struggled with it too. It seemed like people were either really into it or they really hated it.

Thanks for the reminder about this being fun. I was letting my competitive nature get the best of me :)

message 4: by Ana A (new)

Ana A (anabana_a) | 414 comments You can quit this book and just move on OR if you really want to finish all books for the challenge and enjoy them too, then you can choose another book for the 500+ pages book. :) I hope you'll be happy with whatever you choose.

message 5: by Marina H (new)

Marina H | 272 comments It's probably a good thing to be reminded that this challenge has to be fun, but I totally understand that competitive feeling you have! I find myself thinking that I HAVE to read all the books, and I HAVE to read them according to plan, but the book I chose for week 4 I hasn't got a hold of yet, and immediately I feel the panic.
But then I thought that I can always read it later on, if there is an easy week like "a book you can read in one day". And maybe you could do the same... Find a new book with 500+ pages and read it later on or as a side-read.

I would rather be behind with one book, than force myself to read a book I didn't enjoy and fall behind every week.

message 6: by Michelle, Mod Assistant (last edited Jan 22, 2015 12:59AM) (new)

Michelle (girlvsbook) | 403 comments Mod
I had the same issue, Manda. The first book I picked up I really disliked. I got nearly half way through and gave up. I picked another 500+ page book and read it instead. I may finish it at some point this year, the first one, but meh, I'm not that worried about it. Move on to Week 2 if you're pulling your hair out and come back to that later (either with the same book or pick a different one). Or pick a new 500+ book. The challenge is suppose to be fun, no one wants to suffer through a book they cannot stand.

PS: I moved this to the appropriate folder. :)

message 7: by Cris (new)

Cris (cris_lectora) I think, like Marina said, that the key is to remind yourself that you need to enjoy the challenge. I was a bit stressed myself because I haven't had time to finished week 3's book yet and I should be starting week 4's today, but once I came to terms with that fact that it's not going to happen, I started to relax and enjoy the book much more.
Don't force yourself to the point it becomes such a chore, books have to be enjoyed, and not all books are for everyone :)

message 8: by Marah (new)

Marah (eyreo) I would rather read something I enjoyed than something I absolutely hated. You have plenty of time to catch up later! Find something else that interests you.

I drop books when I don't like them. I hate wasting time.

message 9: by Rebeccah (new)

Rebeccah Giltrow (rebeccah_giltrow) | 76 comments You could just put it down, start on something else, and perhaps go back to it later. But you do need to enjoy yourself doing this challenge. If you have time you could try reading another 500+ page book later on in the year.

message 10: by Narma (new)

Narma | 49 comments Frankly, I try to pick short books. Good, short ones. If it's long, it really has to be reviewed incredibly well, for me to read.

message 11: by Cait (new)

Cait (clickcait) | 480 comments I'm weird and hate to leave a book unfinished so I will struggle on with a book even if I'm not enjoying it. But I'm weird and I don't think anyone should feel like they have to finish a book if they're really not enjoying it.

The challenge is about having fun and maybe finding some books you wouldn't've read otherwise or revisiting some you've not read in a while.

So if you don't like it, move on. There are so many other books you could be reading and enjoying that there's no sense in continuing if you don't like it. Or just take a break and come back to it when you're feeling more in the mood for it. :-)

message 12: by Berit (new)

Berit | 138 comments There are so many amazing books that are over 500 pages :-) so I say dump this one and go for another one!I rarely don't finish a book I start, but I rarely pick up a book I don't really want to read. Although I think if I was this dissatisfied with the read I would quit for sure :-) reading is my escapeso it has to be enjoyable :-)

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Horns (other topics)