Random House of Canada Ltd discussion

Reading is Fun! > Reading Bingo Challenge 2015

Comments Showing 1-49 of 49 (49 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

You asked. We listened. The 2015 Reading Bingo Challenge is here AND it's CanLit themed! ow.ly/HfqOI

You can approach the Reading Bingo card however you like: beginners, start by getting one line; if you’re more advanced, try the whole outside box on the card; experts, fill in the whole card!

When you’re talking about your progress online, be sure to use the hashtag #ReadingBingo

Good luck!

message 2: by Lianne (new)

Lianne Burwell (lianneb) | 2 comments Aha! I've got a couple of Canadian books on my to-read list. I think they just got moved up.

message 3: by Lianne (new)

Lianne Burwell (lianneb) | 2 comments For that matter, it just occurred to me that the two books I am currently reading are both Canadian (bizarre coincidence). I'm reading The Back of the Turtle and listening to the (excellent) audiobook version of The Cruelest Month

message 4: by Rainey (new)

Rainey I have found books in my TBR pile for every square but a book set in the prairies and a book about a Canadian sports team. any recommendations.

message 5: by Dana (new)

Dana Fontaine (danaschipporeit) | 19 comments G-20: A Book with a Red and White Cover: The Rosie Project by Graham Simsion.

message 6: by Rainey (new)

Rainey Just ordered Who has seen the wind for the book set in the prairies. Another book for a red and white cover is White Teeth.

message 7: by Dana (new)

Dana Fontaine (danaschipporeit) | 19 comments I need some recommendations about Canadian Sports teams, please :) Thanks!!!

message 8: by Rainey (last edited Jan 23, 2015 01:10PM) (new)

Rainey Another book with a Red and White cover is Bad Teeth by Dustin Long.Like Bad Teeth, NW by Zadie Smith has red black and White on its cover.

Bad Teeth A Novel by Dustin Long NW by Zadie Smith

message 9: by Melanie (new)

Melanie (ladybugh) | 5 comments Fantastic! This should be a good challenge. I also have The Back of the Turtle ready to go on my ereader. :-)

message 10: by Heather (new)

Heather (hganshorn) | 2 comments Rainey wrote: "I have found books in my TBR pile for every square but a book set in the prairies and a book about a Canadian sports team. any recommendations."

There are so many great books set on the prairies. W.O. Mitchell's Who Has Seen the Wind is a great classic, and also short. I love anything by Guy Vanderhaeghe, but especially The Englishman's Boy; his short stories are excellent too. If you're looking for something set in the present day, I recently read Fred Stenson's Who By Fire, which was heartbreaking and so good. His very first book, Lonesome Hero, is a very funny book about an angst-ridden 20-something in southern Alberta. And his book The Trade, about the dying days of the fur trade, is also a favourite of mine.

message 11: by Rainey (last edited Jan 27, 2015 08:53AM) (new)

Rainey For the book about a Canadian sports team I read: 67: The Maple Leafs, Their Sensational Victory, and the End of an Empire. Courtesy of the library.

67 The Maple Leafs, Their Sensational Victory, and the End of an Empire by Damien Cox .

message 12: by Rainey (last edited Jan 27, 2015 08:54AM) (new)

Rainey Heather wrote: "Rainey wrote: "I have found books in my TBR pile for every square but a book set in the prairies and a book about a Canadian sports team. any recommendations."

There are so many great books set on..."

I ended up ordering Who Has seen the Wind to read for this bingo selection.

message 13: by Rainey (last edited Apr 21, 2015 03:25AM) (new)

Rainey 25/25 completed DONE

Below are my list of titles to read for the challenge:

Under the B: COMPLETED

ScotiaBank Giller Prize nominated novel: The Antagonist (FINISHED READING)
ScotiaBank Giller Prize winning novel: Alias Grace - FINISHED READING
Book by a Canadian Author (Not Margaret Atwood): Ru - FINISHED READING
A book my Margaret Atwood: The Handmaid's Tale - FINISHED READING
A Book set in British Columbia: Monkey Beach - FINISHED READING

Under the I: COMPLETED

A book set on the East Coast: Galore FINISHED READING
A book set in the Prairies: Who Has Seen the Wind or Homesick - FINISHED READING
A book set in Toronto: Alias Grace - FINISHED READING
A Book by an aboriginal author: Three Day Road (FINISHED READING)
A book recommended by CBC: The Antagonist (FINISHED READING)

Under the N: COMPLETED

A Canada Reads Nominated Novel: The Orenda or All My Puny Sorrows - FINISHED All My Puny Sorrows
A Work of Non Fiction by a Canadian Author: Pierre Elliott Trudeau (FINISHED READING)
Free Square
A Governor Generals Award Nominated Novel:Three Day Road (FINISHED READING)
A Mystery or Thriller by a Canadian Author: Inside FINISHED READING

Under the G: COMPLETED

A book of Poetry by Canadian Poet: Morning in the Burned House (FINISHED READING)
A book about a Canadian Sports Team: 67: The Maple Leafs, Their Sensational Victory, and the End of an Empire(FINISHED READING)
A book by Alice Munro: Dear Life: Stories (FINISHED READING)
A Canadian novel that was adapted for screen (TV/Movie): Someone Knows My Name FINISHED
A book with a red and white cover: Bad Teeth: A Novel or The Rosie Project or NW -FINISHED READING - THE ROSIE PROJECT

Under the O: - COMPLETED

A Book that was featured on Canada AM: Not My Father's Son - FINISHED READING
A Biography or autobiography of a Canadian celebrity: When All You Have is Hope - FINISHED READING
A book that appears in #canlit: Inside FINISHED READING
A book with snow on the cover: Life, Love, and a Polar Bear Tattoo FINISHED READING
A book by L.M. Montgomery:Emily of New Moon - FINISHED READING

message 14: by Melanie (new)

Melanie (ladybugh) | 5 comments Thanks for sharing your reading list! Looks great. I'm working on my list and will share it soon.

message 15: by Michele (last edited Jan 27, 2015 03:54PM) (new)

Michele | 3 comments So far, my BC book was Twilight Is Not Good For Maidens, by Lou Allin, my East Coast book was Next Life Might Be Kinder by Howard Norman, and my mystery/thriller was No Known Grave by Maureen Jennings.

message 16: by Melanie (last edited Feb 28, 2015 09:00PM) (new)

Melanie (ladybugh) | 5 comments Here is my list of titles planned for this challenge:

Under the B:

ScotiaBank Giller Prize nominated novel: The Crooked Maid Currently Reading
ScotiaBank Giller Prize winning novel: Us Conductors
Book by a Canadian Author (Not Margaret Atwood): Curiosity
A book my Margaret Atwood: Stone Mattress: Nine Tales
A Book set in British Columbia: Monkey Beach

Under the I:

A book set on the East Coast: Random Passage
A book set in the Prairies: The Box Garden
A book set in Toronto: Fauna
A Book by an aboriginal author: The Back of the Turtle
A book recommended by CBC: Gone Girl

Under the N:

A Canada Reads Nominated Novel: Stanley Park
✔ A Work of Non Fiction by a Canadian Author: Sarah Binks, Feb 7, 2015
Free Square
A Governor Generals Award Nominated Novel: Clara Callan
A Mystery or Thriller by a Canadian Author: The Dead in Their Vaulted Arches

Under the G:

✔ A book of Poetry by Canadian Poet: The Counting House Feb 8, 2015
A book about a Canadian Sports Team: The Matchless Six: The Story of Canada's First Women's Olympic Team
A book by Alice Munro: Dear Life: Stories
✔ A Canadian novel that was adapted for screen (TV/Movie): Except the Dying - adapted to become Murdoch Mysteries
A book with a red and white cover: The Sisters Brothers or The Rosie Project

Under the O:

A Book that was featured on Canada AM: As Chimney Sweepers Come to Dust
A Biography or autobiography of a Canadian celebrity: I Must Say: My Life as a Humble Comedy Legend
A book that appears in #canlit: Jewel of the Thames
✔ A book with snow on the cover: Mrs. Mike, Feb 12, 2015
A book by L.M. Montgomery: Anne of Green Gables

message 17: by Jenn (new)

Jenn | 4 comments Thank you all for those great recommendations! You just made it easier to find the books.

message 18: by Brandy (new)

Brandy | 1 comments I just read What Makes Olga Run? by Bruce Grierson. The author is Canadian and so is Olga. It's an eye-opening sort of non-traditional self-improvement book. I'm using it to check off "A Work of Non-Fiction by a Canadian Author" square.

http://brandysbustlings.blogspot.ca/2...

Happy Reading!

message 19: by Katherine (new)

Katherine Krige | 1 comments Just for fun let's see where I stand so far.

For B I am reading "Writing with Grace" by Judy McFarlane - a book set in BC
For I I have "One Native Life" by Richard Wagamese - a book by an Aboriginal author
For N I'm reading "The Tastemakers: Why We're Crazy About Cupcakes but Fed Up with Fondue" by David Sax - a nonfiction book by a Canadian author

A good start, but not setting up to look like any kind of line. I'll have to work on that I guess.

message 20: by Dana (new)

Dana Fontaine (danaschipporeit) | 19 comments O-24 completed. A Book with Snow on the Cover: Trapped by Michael Northrop Trapped by Michael Northrop

message 21: by Okmama (new)

Okmama | 1 comments Doubt I can fill the whole card, but will see how far I get. Funny thing is I read a number of books last year that would fit this challenge perfectly.

Under the B:
ScotiaBank Giller Prize nominated novel:
ScotiaBank Giller Prize winning novel:
Book by a Canadian Author (Not Margaret Atwood):
A book my Margaret Atwood:
A Book set in British Columbia:

Under the I:
A book set on the East Coast: Random Passage
A book set in the Prairies: All My Puny Sorrows currently reading
A book set in Toronto: Adult Onset completed
A Book by an aboriginal author: The Back of the Turtle
A book recommended by CBC:

Under the N:
A Canada Reads Nominated Novel:
A Work of Non Fiction by a Canadian Author:
Free Square
A Governor Generals Award Nominated Novel:
A Mystery or Thriller by a Canadian Author:

Under the G:
A book of Poetry by Canadian Poet:
A book about a Canadian Sports Team: Crazy Canucks: The Uphill Battle of Canada's Downhill Ski Team
A book by Alice Munro:
A Canadian novel that was adapted for screen (TV/Movie):
A book with a red and white cover:

Under the O:
A Book that was featured on Canada AM:
A Biography or autobiography of a Canadian celebrity:
A book that appears in #canlit:
A book with snow on the cover:
A book by L.M. Montgomery:

message 22: by Melanie (last edited Feb 15, 2015 07:15PM) (new)

Melanie (ladybugh) | 5 comments Well, I have three books done for the challenge but I'm not really making progress on a line! Perhaps under the "N" is the closest. Sigh. :-)

message 23: by Dana (new)

Dana Fontaine (danaschipporeit) | 19 comments Just finished: I-8: A Book Set in Toronto: Scott Pilgrim's Precious Little Life by Bryan Lee O'Malley. Scott Pilgrim's Precious Little Life (Scott Pilgrim, #1) by Bryan Lee O'Malley

message 24: by Dana (new)

Dana Fontaine (danaschipporeit) | 19 comments Who has a good recommendation for Canadian Non Fiction? Or non fiction written by a Canadian author?

message 25: by Rainey (last edited Feb 18, 2015 09:21AM) (new)

Rainey Buzzfeed just did a cool bit on The Handmaid's TaleThe Handmaids Tale by Margaret Atwood. It is called 23 Reasons “The Handmaid’s Tale” Is The Best Novel Of All Time"

http://www.buzzfeed.com/krystieyandol...

message 26: by Michele (last edited Feb 18, 2015 09:22AM) (new)

Michele | 3 comments My CBC recommended book was If I Fall, If I Die, by Michael Christie, and the book set in Toronto is As Chimney Sweepers Come To Dust, by Alan Bradley.

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

Dana wrote: "I need some recommendations about Canadian Sports teams, please :) Thanks!!!"
Hey Dana, here's a good place to start for sports suggestions: http://penguinrandomhouse.ca/book-cat.... Hope you find one you like!
~Aliya

message 28: by [deleted user] (new)

Rainey wrote: "Below are my list of titles to read for the challenge:

Under the B:

ScotiaBank Giller Prize nominated novel: The Antagonist (FINISHED READING)
ScotiaBank Giller Prize winning n..."

Oh my goodness! You're so organized and have already read so many. Colour us impressed.
~Aliya

message 29: by Rainey (new)

Rainey Thanks.

message 30: by Jenn (new)

Jenn | 4 comments Finished my first square under B: ScotiaBank Giller Prize nominated novel: The Antagonist by Lynn Coady.

message 31: by Rainey (new)

Rainey I finished my first line - under the O

message 32: by Melanie (new)

Melanie (ladybugh) | 5 comments Congrats Rainey! I'm still working away slowly.

message 33: by Rainey (new)

Rainey 17 out of 25 reads finished (18 if you include the free square)

message 34: by Jenn (new)

Jenn | 4 comments Oh wow Rainey!! I feel like a slacker now. ;)

message 35: by Rainey (new)

Rainey Fortunately, some of my reads cover more than one square.

message 36: by Laura (new)

Laura | 2 comments Can someone please explain EXACTLY what is meant by "a book that appears in #canlit"? Like just a Twitter search...?

message 37: by Gwen (new)

Gwen | 3 comments Where do we find a list of books that were featured on Canada AM ?

message 39: by Michele (new)

Michele | 3 comments My book with a red and white cover is When The Saints by Sarah Mian .

message 40: by Gwen (new)

Gwen | 3 comments Laura wrote: "http://canadaam.ctvnews.ca/book-beat"

Thanks, that will be helpful

message 41: by Rainey (new)

Rainey Almost there. 5 more left for me to finish the whole bingo card. Yeah

message 42: by Rainey (new)

Rainey 21 out of 25 completed. 3 more left (Alias Grace - covers 2 sections)

message 43: by Rainey (new)

Rainey 24/25 completed. 1 left to read

message 44: by Heather (last edited Apr 07, 2015 08:46AM) (new)

Heather (hganshorn) | 2 comments I see a lot of people are struggling to find something about a sports team. Not being a sports fan, I was planning to skip this one, but then I chanced upon Girl Runner: A Novel, a novel about the first Canadian Olympic women's running team in the 1920s. I'm really enjoying it; it's not primarily about sports, but more about the life of the protagonist.

message 45: by Rainey (new)

Rainey I am done yeah.

message 46: by Gwen (new)

Gwen | 3 comments Rainey wrote: "I am done yeah."

Way To Go!!!

message 47: by Dana (new)

Dana Fontaine (danaschipporeit) | 19 comments I almost have a BINGO! I just need an Alice Munroe book!

message 48: by Jenn (new)

Jenn | 4 comments I read a lot, all over the bingo card, but no bingos. Been a tough year but that's the way it goes.

message 49: by Dana (new)

Dana Fontaine (danaschipporeit) | 19 comments Is there a Reading Bingo challenge for 2016?