My Sibling The Mythical Being! discussion

Stake Out! (My Sister The Vampire, #12)
This topic is about Stake Out!
Sister the Vampire SPOILER > Stake Out! (MSTV #12)

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sophie, The Joker (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sophie | 1253 comments Here's where you can discuss the 12th My Sister the Vampire, Stake Out! Have fun and beware, there may be spoilers ahead.

message 2: by Sophie, The Joker (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sophie | 1253 comments This is our group read for January 2015...enjoy!

message 3: by Daisy, The Brains (last edited Feb 02, 2015 01:23AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Daisy | 1399 comments I'm a bit late with the read-a-long for this book. I have a ton of other group-reads to get to in February but sometime at the end of the month (or the start of March) I want to marathon through Stake Out, Double Disaster and Flipping Out (MSTV #12, 13 & 14) so I can catch up!

message 4: by Sophie, The Joker (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sophie | 1253 comments I finished this and it's even better than I remember it! The whole storyline with the blogger was quite clever and I love how the book ended. :D

message 5: by Daisy, The Brains (last edited May 02, 2015 05:22AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Daisy | 1399 comments So what does everyone think of the wedding storyline in this book? I thought it was pretty funny how Charles became "Groomzilla". He's definitely changed a lot since the first books, since he met Lillian and all that.

Lillian I thought was sort of undeveloped in this book. She just seemed perfect all the time! I remember when she first met Charles she had a bit of a snarky mood about her, especially with Charles (with all her "I'm not about to reveal my age." stuff), which she's kind of lost in recent books. I understand that not every character has to develop in every book, but I'm looking forward to her storyline in Secrets and Spies (MSTV #15), so we can see a bit more of her, even though I do remember that being a bit of a disappointment.

message 6: by Sophie, The Joker (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sophie | 1253 comments Charles as Groomzilla was one of my favourite parts of this book. So funny! As for Lillian I agree that she could have played a much bigger part. She was the bride. I don't see her as the type to leave all the wedding planning to Charles.

message 7: by Daisy, The Brains (new) - rated it 5 stars

Daisy | 1399 comments Uh huh. Oh well. Maybe Charles's character is changing in these later books perhaps so that he can resemble his father a bit more? I know the Count has serious sides to him too but underneath it all he's just a big joker. I don't know, just a theory.

Speaking of the Count and Countess, I found it slightly weird how Olivia and Ivy kept calling them Grandma and Grandpa in this book. Didn't they used to say Grandmother and Grandfather? Maybe that's just my imagination. I know they have grown a lot closer to their grandparents now, and Grandma and Grandpa seem like more affectionate names, but I thought it was a bit of an unnatural and unexplained switch. Just me?

message 8: by Sophie, The Joker (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sophie | 1253 comments So apparently this book's alternate title is (wait for it)... Read It and Creep. For real.

Read It and Creep Read It and Creep (My Sister The Vampire, #12) by Sienna Mercer

I don't know why but I find that so ridiculous. Just thought I'd mention that here. :D

message 9: by Sophie, The Joker (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sophie | 1253 comments Ok the more I think about it the more it's growing on me. A play on read it and weep. Lol.

message 10: by Daisy, The Brains (new) - rated it 5 stars

Daisy | 1399 comments Oh my gosh that's so funny! I love the lame puns the US editions have in their titles. I wonder who comes up with them. That one works actually because the book involves reading the mystery blogger's articles, then sneaking around to try and find out who it is - Read it and Creep! :D

message 11: by Sophie, The Joker (last edited Aug 16, 2018 04:16AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sophie | 1253 comments The last time I read this book the thing that stood out to me was how rude the Countess is to Ivy.
'Ivy Vega.' The Countess's voice was suddenly as cold as ice, her hard gaze focused on her vampire granddaughter. 'Don't you think helping the local community is the least you can do after...?'
She is referring to Ivy abandoning her studies in Transylvania. In this book they've got to blend in with the (I nearly said muggles, haha) bunnies because of the mysterious blogger threatening to expose vampires.

She kept going on about this being Ivy's one chance to prove herself, to think about what's best for others and not just herself, how she was so disappointed in her and how Ivy kept letting them all down. I just wanted to shake the Countess!

At the same time I think we are all guilty of sometimes getting ahead of ourselves and expecting things of other people. The Countess wants the best for Ivy but she isn't thinking through her actions and in my eyes is in the wrong in this book. This did all lead up to Ivy's seriously cool comeback though so guess I can't complain ;)
'Grandma, I have never let you down before. [...] Never. You and Grandpa will always be important to me - but I've always made the choices that were true to myself. Isn't that what the best vampires do?'
I love this so much.