Firefight (The Reckoners, #2) Firefight discussion

David's obession with "metaphors"

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by RJ (new) - rated it 5 stars

RJ I really love this book. But David's obsession with metaphors (which are really similes) are distracting.

I don't understand his passion for them or why the author feels it's so important to make it so apparent to the reader.

Tyler I quite enjoyed the humour this injected into the story. Since David was so obsessed with Epics, he had little time for any hobbies or personal interests. It's nice to see something of his character and what he might have been if not for Calamity.

Avaminn F'nett It's just supposed to be silly, and I enjoyed it quite a bit.

And I'm glad he finally got corrected about them not being metaphors.

Madi ~☆TheBookNerdDiaries☆~ I don't think the metaphors are a bad additon to the story. They made me laugh and smile.

Anissa It reminds me David is a person with personality not an epic killing machine.

message 6: by RJ (new) - rated it 5 stars

RJ It's not really the usage of metaphors that seems yo be the problem for me. I do think they are nice and humorous. It's the obsession on making it a point to bring it to the reader's attention that's distracting. It was alright in Steelheart, but in Firefight it is just annoying to me.

message 7: by ReaderGuy (new)

ReaderGuy I have mixed feelings. It's sort of funny, but it also sometimes takes away from the story. A lot of the ones in Firefight weren't really funny, and it felt like really strained humor.

Jeroen Mastbergen Of course I love the metaphors/similes!
Not having them would be like beans without gravy.
I know most people immediately think about meat and gravy and eat their beans without it, but beans are seriously tastier with gravy.
The same goes for the book: it’s possible to do without, but it’s so much better with bungled metaphors.

Mackenzie I think the metaphors/similes are just for comic relief. The book was really intense, and serious, and it needed a litte lightening up. :)

Whitney I love his butchering of metaphors. I think it really gives him that extra dimension of character development. And they're freaking hilarious.

David I just took it as one of the many ways in which he tries to be cooler than he is. Cool people he knows use cool metaphors, as do a lot of cool characters in books in general. He's the protagonist of the story, and is obviously very good at what he does, but he'll never truly be "cool" in that way, but that doesn't stop him from trying because just like all of us he has people he admires and tries to emulate.

Bah Humpug I absolutely hate David's obsession with using metaphors and then having to explain them to others as they all comment on how weird/funny/bad they are. I also found it distracting. I get that it's a personality quirk and an attempt to inject humor in the book, but I would've preferred the book without them. Or it would have been better if David just said them, without the author spending so much time explaining them and describing people's reactions to them.

message 13: by Donna (new) - added it

Donna In a weird way, it made me think of Drax the Destroyer (from Guardians of the Galaxy) who doesn't know what a metaphor is either, because he comes from a literal society.
I don't mind them, mangling metaphors is kinda fun.