Sci-Fi, fantasy and speculative Indie Authors Review discussion

Silverblood Demons (Daughters of Darkness #1)
This topic is about Silverblood Demons
Current projects > Yay! Something Small, But Nice, Happened :)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 76 (76 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Turhan (new)

Turhan Halil | 270 comments I saw that someone added me to their author list on Twitter (Forgive me Twitter, but I don't know how to navigate you)

I just had my first KU/KOLL and, I sold a book!

How about you :)

message 2: by Ken (new)

Ken Doggett (kendoggett) Turhan wrote: "I saw that someone added me to their author list on Twitter (Forgive me Twitter, but I don't know how to navigate you)

I just had my first KU/KOLL and, I sold a book!

How about you :)"

Congrats, Turhan. It's mostly the good LITTLE things that can make your day. My new novel is doing well, started selling the day it hit Amazon, so that's making my whole week.

message 3: by David (new)

David Staniforth (davidstaniforth) | 21 comments Feels good, doesn't it, Turhan? I hope it continues to grow for you.

My fantasy trilogy sales had dried up, so I took the risk of some paid advertising on the first book, which is free. So far this month (books 2&3 combined): 8 KU/KOLL loans and 22 sales.

message 4: by Ken (new)

Ken Doggett (kendoggett) David wrote: "Feels good, doesn't it, Turhan? I hope it continues to grow for you.

My fantasy trilogy sales had dried up, so I took the risk of some paid advertising on the first book, which is free. So far thi..."

Where did you advertise?

message 5: by Kara (new)

Kara Jorgensen (karajorgensen) | 97 comments Paid $15 for an advertisement in the Ereader news today (ENT) that The Earl of Brass was on sale for 99cents, and sold 86 copies (it was a two day sale and I didn't promote the second day). It was pretty awesome. I made it to #3 on the Amazon steampunk chart and #24 on historical fantasy (the woman who writes the Outlander series has a monopoly in that genre). I would say it was worth it. Plus, my fellow Facebook writers and friends helped to spread the word.

message 6: by David (new)

David Staniforth (davidstaniforth) | 21 comments ereader news today (ENT), Ken. It was $15 for a day on their website and an email listing to their subscribers, and resulted in 1880 downloads of the free book over two days. The sales so far have more than paid for the advertising, and more will come through as people get around to reading the freebie. Coincidentally, downloads for the following week ran from 40 to 50 per day just because of being high up the freebie chart, at a guess.

Christina McMullen (cmcmullen) | 1213 comments Mod
Congrats everyone! January has been slow for me, but I managed to get two paperback sales and I never ger paperback sales.

message 8: by Kara (new)

Kara Jorgensen (karajorgensen) | 97 comments Nice, Christina! I wish I sold more paperbacks. They are so much prettier than the ebooks.

message 9: by Ken (new)

Ken Doggett (kendoggett) I sold a few paperbacks of my short-story collections (they're cheaper and have limited distribution), but only one paperback novel, several months ago.

I've been able to tell who bought my paperbacks based on the bookscan info and typically, it's been friends and family. I keep crossing my fingers that I'll see a sale in a place where I know no one.
One day, after I win the lottery, I'm going to open an indie-only bookshop. I guess I better start playing the lottery.

message 11: by K. (new) - rated it 5 stars

Caffee K. (kcaffee) | 461 comments Started promoting book 2 on twitter, and so far have gotten enough preorders that I hope to see a reward for it in April. But, that's on Smashwords. Amazon is still stagnant - one order, and I think I know who it is.

message 12: by Kara (new)

Kara Jorgensen (karajorgensen) | 97 comments Christina, that would be awesome =) That's one of my dreams as well actually.

message 13: by G.G. (new)

G.G. (ggatcheson) | 200 comments Christina wrote: "I've been able to tell who bought my paperbacks based on the bookscan info and typically, it's been friends and family. I keep crossing my fingers that I'll see a sale in a place where I know no on..."

At least, you have your family's (and friends') support. Mine all have great excuses: I don't read sci-fi. I don't like vampires. Or the more direct one, I don't read English. Blah!

As for your goal if you win the lottery, what a great idea. I think I'll do the same if I win. Nah, let's be positive: WHEN I win. :P

Oh trust me, GG, most of mine stopped caring when they realized I wasn't going to be interviewed by Oprah any time soon. ;)

message 15: by Kara (new)

Kara Jorgensen (karajorgensen) | 97 comments At this point, I'm hoping mine don't read my next book. I don't want to hear about the sexual/sensual scenes or who my characters are.

message 16: by G.G. (new)

G.G. (ggatcheson) | 200 comments Christina wrote: "Oh trust me, GG, most of mine stopped caring when they realized I wasn't going to be interviewed by Oprah any time soon. ;)"

LOL

message 17: by Jamie (new)

Jamie Maltman (jamiemaltman) | 156 comments Mod
Kara wrote: "Paid $15 for an advertisement in the Ereader news today (ENT) that The Earl of Brass was on sale for 99cents, and sold 86 copies (it was a two day sale and I didn't promote the second day). It was ..."

That's awesome Kara! :)

I did my playing around with the book 1 free promo a couple of months ago, lots of downloads which led to some sales, but I'm not really kicking up the promo/marketing until I get the 3rd (or maybe even 4th) book out in my series.

message 18: by Jamie (new)

My first goal with paper releases is to make back my cover design, editing and proofing costs. Which I did with the local sales on book 1. Haven't really tried yet with book II, but I've been lazy. I know a few of my friends will be buying soon.

I have had a few random orders of my paper copy outside of Canada (and my sister in Ireland from .uk), which has been cool. No idea who it was. :)

message 19: by K.P. (new) - added it

K.P. Merriweather (kp_merriweather) | 189 comments since i've been active on tsu and hired a content manager (will be nuking my personal fb page - no more drama) i have 4 sales this week (all from europe). woot

message 20: by Jamie (new)

You're making an argument for playing with Tsu. And I've never really liked FB. Always loved Google+ though.

message 21: by K.P. (new) - added it

K.P. Merriweather (kp_merriweather) | 189 comments im just sharing something nice that happened too :( my cousin added me on tsu back in november before thanksgiving and i thought it was utter bs. i didnt do anything until after the new year when after a drama explosion got complaints on my business page. so i just started advertising on tsu and tooling around on my downtime. i didnt expect to make sales cos i still thought tsu was bs. i just happened to luck out since my books are already a hard sell. im happy to make sales regardlesd how i do it

message 22: by Micah (last edited Jan 26, 2015 12:52PM) (new)

Micah Sisk (micahrsisk) | 563 comments I finally gave up on Kindle Select. My second term of exclusivity ran out Friday on my first novel and novella. So I published the novel on Smashwords. I've only had a few page views, but did get one sale (almost enough to pay for one of my daily Americanos!...almost). It's been stagnant on amazon for quite a while.

Perhaps it'll pick up a bit once it hits B&N, iTunes, Kobo, and Sony...the fact that I dropped the price might help, too. Even on amazon, where it will show a 40% discount once they figure out it's available cheaper elsewhere!

Now I've just got to get that novella formatted for SM.

Ah, another person who appreciates the Americano! I've been going back and forth on whether or not I want to start pulling from Select. It seems as if every time I consider it, I get a spike in borrows. This has been a slow month though, so I'll see how this round goes.

message 24: by Kara (new)

Kara Jorgensen (karajorgensen) | 97 comments I barely had any sales on Smashwords for the few months on I was on there. I tend to do quite a few borrows per month usually 5-10 on average.

message 25: by Sue (new)

Sue Perry | 175 comments I love Americanos.

message 26: by Ken (new)

Ken Doggett (kendoggett) Micah wrote: "I finally gave up on Kindle Select. My second term of exclusivity ran out Friday on my first novel and novella. So I published the novel on Smashwords. I've only had a few page views, but did get o..."

I've been on Smashwords for 6 months, and sold 2 books--none lately. I recently had one sale on Kobo, through Smashwords. My new novel is selling very well on Amazon, not at all on Smashwords even after more than 200 views. It has been on Apple for a week, no sales. I think the problem with Smashwords is that they proudly feature over 50,000 FREE books. Who's gonna buy when you can get enough free to last a lifetime? And it takes way too long to get out to other markets after your file gets accepted in Smashword's premium catalog. I'm thinking of ditching Smashwords and going exclusive again on Amazon, where I at least got a few borrows in addition to sales. Still, it's nice to have your books on display at Apple iTunes and Barnes & Noble.

message 27: by Richard (new)

Richard Penn (richardpenn) | 758 comments I have ditched Smashwords because of their impossibly fragile book converter. I'm using draft2digital, which seems to work well. Published my fourth book yesterday (yay!) and it was out to all the platforms by this morning.

Caverns of Procellarum by Richard Penn by the way, in case anyone's interested :-)

I'm also steering customers to Lulu instead of createSpace for this book, at least for UK readers. It prints faster, and it's only £3 shipping, instead of $20 for CS.

message 28: by Ken (new)

Ken Doggett (kendoggett) After more than a week Smashwords has my new book, To Summon The Blackbird, only at Apple, Inktera, and Scribd. Barnes & Noble is just getting the paperback from Createspace, but the ebook from Smashwords still hasn't shown up. And Kobo?--fogedaboudit! Not a single sale so far. Meanwhile, at Amazon, it's getting hot and I'm selling the hell out of it. In fact, it was selling at Amazon during the four days it took Smashwords to approve it for its premium catalog. Maybe I should go to those markets directly.

message 29: by Micah (new)

Micah Sisk (micahrsisk) | 563 comments Everyone's experiences seem pretty individual as to where things sell best.

I think in the 6 months I had 2 works on Kindle Select I had only 3 borrows. I ran a couple countdown deals and garnered a few sales probably from that, but it was low enough that they could have been just the normal random sales.

I've been using Smashwords just as a distributor, to get my eBooks to B&N, Kobo and iTunes primarily. When I first tried this with some free short stories, it took almost (more than?) a month for them to hit Kobo. I had almost given up on that when suddenly they appeared.

My last collection, though (The Cut-Up Man: And other Posthuman Cycle stories), hit Kobo as fast as it did the other premium distribution channels.

I've had no problems with Smashword's book converter. Probably because I don't don anything at all complicated in my books...no extra graphics or illustrations, no tables, no special formatting. Using Word and the proverbial "nuclear option" I've had all my works get approved first time.

And PleshaCore just got approved for premium distribution yesterday (that link, though, is to the Kindle version).

So basically any Smashword sales I get are just a bonus. I've not seen sales from the other channels yet, but my collection isn't selling well anywhere and my other two works on them are free, so I'm still in a wait and see mode.

More channels means more potential eyes can find the work. Doesn't necessarily mean sales, but limiting your distribution to just amazon guarantees you'll never sell any to Nook or Kobo or Sony or iBook users.

I just didn't see enough advantage to Kindle Select. If/when I've got thousands of screaming fans maybe I'll revisit that.

message 30: by Micah (new)

Micah Sisk (micahrsisk) | 563 comments Oh, and Americanos...I generally opt for them only when I know the coffee shop doesn't brew their regular coffee strong enough.

I'm a 4-shot kina guy. I like it strong enough to knock the hairs off my chest, and then put them right back again!

message 31: by Ken (last edited Jan 27, 2015 08:43AM) (new)

Ken Doggett (kendoggett) My novel has a blackbird graphic, which didn't bother Smashwords at all but appears oversize in Amazon's "look inside" feature (in the file it's normal size). The thing that bothered Smashwords was the use of a larger size and different font to start the first letter of each chapter. What they said was that the line spacings were uneven, but that was the first thing I thought of. When I corrected that one letter of each chapter, it went right through. Amazon, oddly enough, had no problem with it.

message 32: by K. (new) - rated it 5 stars

Caffee K. (kcaffee) | 461 comments I'm getting most of my traffic on Smashwords, and just looking at my second book, which lets me compare apples to apples, I've been promoting the preorder to both Smashwords and Amazon. I've got 1 order on Amazon and am in double digits on Smashwords now.

I agree that every book is unique. Wonder if different gere readers go to different platforms, like they do with the blogging platforms? Would be an interesting discussion - Sci-fi, fantasy, dark fantasy, and so on.

message 33: by Ken (last edited Jan 27, 2015 09:13AM) (new)

Ken Doggett (kendoggett) K. wrote: "I'm getting most of my traffic on Smashwords, and just looking at my second book, which lets me compare apples to apples, I've been promoting the preorder to both Smashwords and Amazon. I've got 1..."

It may help that one of your books is free and the other is only $2.99. My short-story collections are 99 cents, but my novels are $3.99 and $4.99. No sales recently. My new novel is in double digits on Amazon at $4.99 after only a week, so it sort of confirms my theory that many Smashwords customers are looking for mostly free stuff, but might pay a nominal price for a novel if the free one interests them. I did just sell a copy of my first novel through Smashwords, but the actual sale took place at Kobo.

But all of the free books on Smashwords are usually free on Amazon as well. To be honest, the real reason I would pull my oldest series from select would be to get a perma-free option for book #1.

message 35: by Ken (new)

Ken Doggett (kendoggett) Christina wrote: "But all of the free books on Smashwords are usually free on Amazon as well. To be honest, the real reason I would pull my oldest series from select would be to get a perma-free option for book #1."

True, but you have to look for them. Smashwords puts it right in your face, "Free Books: 50,091." https://www.smashwords.com/

message 36: by Jamie (new)

Christina wrote: "But all of the free books on Smashwords are usually free on Amazon as well. To be honest, the real reason I would pull my oldest series from select would be to get a perma-free option for book #1."

That's my plan, at some point. It's hard to get traction on a series elsewhere until you have more books anyway, so I'm thinking maybe at book 4 or 5 I'll go wide. But for now I get more borrows monthly than I ever had sales on the other platforms combined, and often more than my sales on Amazon.

message 37: by Micah (last edited Jan 28, 2015 08:39AM) (new)

Micah Sisk (micahrsisk) | 563 comments Ken wrote: "My new novel...has been on Apple for a week, no sales.

Have you ever tried browsing for books on iTunes? I have a feeling it's about the worst market for independent/SP authors out there. I've looked on both a PC and iPad and get utterly frustrated every time. It seems all they want you to see are their featured titles and the "top picks" or whatever. Digging deeper to actually discover things is PAINFULL.

It's like if you don't know exactly what title you're looking for, you can't find it.

So of course my new novel shows up on iTunes before it hits B&N or Kobo ;D

message 38: by Ken (new)

Ken Doggett (kendoggett) Right, I can believe that. I've never sold anything at all on Apple--and my new novel STILL isn't up on Kobo.

Everyone I know with an ipad has the Kindle app. Same for those of us on team Android.

message 40: by Micah (new)

Micah Sisk (micahrsisk) | 563 comments Yeah, we've got Kindle on ours, too. As well as iBooks. But actually no one in my family reads on the iPad.

I'm not a typical tech users, though. The iPads are hand-me-downs (I would never have bought them) and we don't have smartphones or other tablets. I do have a Kindle Voyage now, though.

message 41: by Ken (new)

Ken Doggett (kendoggett) I don't have a smart phone (had one once, didn't like it; I'm guessing it wasn't really all that smart), but I do read a lot of books on my Kindle. I also read and edit my own books on the Kindle. The honest truth is that I had no idea about getting back into writing until I got a Kindle about a year and a half ago and saw all the books available on Amazon.

It was the Kindle that got me to sit down and yank out all of my half-cocked novel plans from years ago as well.

message 43: by James (new)

James Mascia (jmascia) | 8 comments Ken wrote: "I don't have a smart phone (had one once, didn't like it; I'm guessing it wasn't really all that smart), but I do read a lot of books on my Kindle. I also read and edit my own books on the Kindle...."

How do you edit on the Kindle? I've found it to be too clunky. I even had the BlueTooth Keyboard and downloaded the Office Pro to do such things, but as I said, I just couldn't do it. Maybe you have a different way of doing it though.

message 44: by Micah (new)

Micah Sisk (micahrsisk) | 563 comments I suppose you could read through your work on a Kindle and highlight issues, then refer to that as you edit on your 'puter. I'd never try to do actual edits on one...is that even possible?

message 45: by Ken (new)

Ken Doggett (kendoggett) James wrote: "How do you edit on the Kindle? I've found it to be too clunky. I even had the BlueTooth Keyboard and downloaded the Office Pro to do such things, but as I said, I just couldn't do it. Maybe you have a different way of doing it though...."

On a Kindle you can highlight in 4 different colors; I mark things I want to delete in blue, things I want to look at again in yellow, the first word of a sentence that I want to make a new paragraph in orange, and the first word of a sentence I want do add to the previous paragraph in pink. You can also bookmark, and when you highlight a word you can add notes, maybe a rewrite of the sentence. I then transfer all of this manually to my desktop computer file. I like editing on a Kindle because you can load the file directly as a book, complete with cover. When it takes the form of a book, it's easier to see the errors, and I can read it while I'm doing something else.

message 46: by Micah (new)

Micah Sisk (micahrsisk) | 563 comments Ken wrote: "On a Kindle you can highlight in 4 different colors..."

Not on a Paperwhite you can't! ;P

Funny, I do the same thing Ken does using the app on my tablet, but for my final read through, I have to use my old first gen Kindle just to have yet another fresh perspective. At that point, I don't need to highlight or note. I just keep the laptop with the final draft open nearby.

message 48: by James (new)

James Mascia (jmascia) | 8 comments Okay... so you don't do the actual editing on the Kindle. I understand. You CAN edit right on the Kindle... I have done it... but only when I had no other choice. Like I said... it's too clunky.

I'll try the highlighting and notes thing though.

message 49: by Owen (new)

Owen O'Neill (owen_r_oneill) | 625 comments I make a lot notes and edits on my Paperwhite. Then I plug it into my computer and open My Clippings.txt (in the documents directory) and copy & paste all my edits into my document. It's pretty handy.

message 50: by Owen (new)

Owen O'Neill (owen_r_oneill) | 625 comments For what it's worth, we've had great luck with KDP Select. We started with then in May 2013. I did look into Smashwords first, but when I asked a couple of questions regarding formatting and their premium list, they never bothered to reply. Also, their meatgrinder I felt was unnecessarily complicated and would have caused me extra work. (I like that I can upload HTML straight to KDP. It makes my life very easy.)

I checked out Lulu based on the recommendation of an author friend of mine, and they were more responsive, but overall I was not impressed.

I checked out going to Apple directly (before they lost that court case), but I didn't like that I (apparently) had to use their authoring tool and I didn't like their terms when I read them. B&N and Kobo didn't seem to have a big enough market share to bother with.

Finally, we went with KDP Select and hit the jackpot (well, for us, anyway). KU has been good for us, so we are quite happy for now.

« previous 1