Linda Howard Book Junkies discussion

Archive > do you watch the series on TV?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 73 (73 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Dee (last edited Jan 22, 2015 09:36AM) (new)

Dee Sauter (indeathaddict) | 7583 comments There have been a lot of series come out on TV, like the Outlander series, Downtown Abbey, and Pompeii. I am not one that usually watches these, but I have friends that can't get enough of them. What about you? Do you watch them, if you do which ones do you watch, and what do you like about them?

message 2: by Jonetta (new)

Jonetta (ejaygirl) I watch both Outlander and Downton Abbey.

The screen interpretation of the Outlander book is nothing less than extraordinary. The attention to historical detail and its commitment to the story is fabulous. I'm loving it.

I've not read any books related to Downton Abbey. I just find the series entertaining and well performed.

message 3: by Kathy Anne (new)

Kathy Anne (kathyanne) | 598 comments I find Downtown Abby the same as you,it seems it`s from the TV only.
I also watch Dr Who but then I am a TT freak anyway.I also like the late at nite English comedies like the Judy Dench one.I think I`d watch anything she is in,anytme.
And then of course Black Sails will be on pretty quick.
The one I regret not watching is *Thrones* and that was only because I got moved in my job and was never home when it was on.

message 4: by Anita (new)

Anita (anitanodiva) | 1586 comments Downton Abby for sure. My daughter gave me seasons 1 - 4 on DVD for Christmas and Season 5 is set to record now.

message 5: by Dee (new)

Dee Sauter (indeathaddict) | 7583 comments Perhaps I need to pick it up the first series at the library. The only problem with doing that is I over-saturate myself with the shows and I don't think I really appreciate the story. I did that with True Blood, and Dexter.

message 6: by Jonetta (new)

Jonetta (ejaygirl) Each season of Downton Abbey is only about five or six episodes.

message 7: by Dee (new)

Dee Sauter (indeathaddict) | 7583 comments Thanks Jonetta.

message 8: by Dee (new)

Dee Sauter (indeathaddict) | 7583 comments Usually, I tend to stay away from them, because in order to understand the series you have to be in from the beginning. I usually don't think about them in the first series.

What do you like about Downtown Abbey?

message 9: by Jonetta (new)

Jonetta (ejaygirl) It's interesting to see the life of those who make those great English estates work. The acting is stellar and the stories very, very intriguing.

message 10: by Dee (new)

Dee Sauter (indeathaddict) | 7583 comments There is a new series coming on called Sons of Liberty on the History channel. I think it is set at the time of the Revolutionary War. Since I am reading the Outlander series and I am at the time I probably will watch it.

message 11: by Kathy Anne (last edited Jan 25, 2015 07:37PM) (new)

Kathy Anne (kathyanne) | 598 comments dee
I have been watching the ads for it it does look like it might be good.
Black Sails came on Starz for it`s second season tonight ,I do love it.I only stated watching it last season because of the scenes with the ship.I felt from the first it was realistic as far as Pirates go and it certainly doesn`t sugarcoat it the way Romance books do.Very different looking world on that ship once you go below the main deck-anyway the new shows are on and I hope if anyone sees them they will review them on here for us.I`d like to know especially about Pompeii.I hope you will fill us in on Sons too Dee.

message 12: by Kathy Anne (new)

Kathy Anne (kathyanne) | 598 comments I don`t know about Downtown Abby but nowdays you can usually google till you can find a synopsis(I hope that's the right word,I am slightly Deslexic so maybe not)somewhere for previous episodes. .Tonight Yahoo has one on Black Sails on it`s official page.

message 13: by Dee (new)

Dee Sauter (indeathaddict) | 7583 comments I am going to try to get the the first season of Black Sails. it sounds really good. Sons of Liberty is only a trilogy and I have watched the first two stories. OMG is is so good. It makes me want to investigate and see how accurate this stories about Sam Adams and John Hancock.

message 14: by Kathy Anne (last edited Jan 27, 2015 02:38PM) (new)

Kathy Anne (kathyanne) | 598 comments Black Sails was rerun on Starz all nite on Saturday-the days it`s on.It takes time to get with it for me because I really don`t like History or fighting but Outlander and Sails have shown me there are things I do like about them
I was watching a program on US Presidents and the guy said Washington was more incredible than we will ever know or about what he did for this country or how very different we`d be living if not for him.So now I hope someone has seen this TV series and can tell me the name because I only saw that tiny bit of that one

message 15: by Kathy Anne (new)

Kathy Anne (kathyanne) | 598 comments When exactly is Sons of Liberty on and I can at least catch the last one.I need to see these History types because most of the stories and names are only words to me but the movies seem to make them come alive.

message 16: by Dee (new)

Dee Sauter (indeathaddict) | 7583 comments I suppose when it comes on is what cable company you have. My son has cox and it came on at 10 on the History channel, I have Dish and it came on at 7. This one really did make history come to life. Now I want to get some books on the subject.

message 17: by Lisa Kay (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 1002 comments I recently watch the new Grantchester on PBS and really enjoyed it. I'm going to try the books.

message 18: by Dee (new)

Dee Sauter (indeathaddict) | 7583 comments What was Grantchester about? I never heard of it.

message 19: by Jonetta (new)

Jonetta (ejaygirl) I haven't heard of that one, either.

message 20: by Kathy Anne (new)

Kathy Anne (kathyanne) | 598 comments I googled it and the first episode came up tho I didn`t notice when it is on .'
It sounds like a show I would really like,it`s about a cop and a cleric in Englands prettiest city that finally bond and go after a murderer.
Black Sails was into a lot of Pirate politics and so boring I fell asleep.But when the action starts and they show real pirate stuff its great
It`s about a captain Flint who wants to make Pirates politically superior to others.I don`t like politics but this show is worth it

message 21: by Dee (new)

Dee Sauter (indeathaddict) | 7583 comments My son said it was just another show about fighting. He wasn't that impressed.

message 22: by Anita (new)

Anita (anitanodiva) | 1586 comments Grantchester is fantastic.

message 23: by Kathy Anne (new)

Kathy Anne (kathyanne) | 598 comments Anita
I can`t find out when it comes on,would you please give us the day and time-I am guessing it`s on channel 7.Itdid sound like something I would like

message 24: by Lisa Kay (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 1002 comments
Anita wrote: "Grantchester is fantastic."

Yes, I'm really enjoying Grantchester. I think the main actor, James Norton, is so well cast as the young vicar.

message 25: by Lisa Kay (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 1002 comments One thing I really like about it is that this young vicar deals with real live issues and isn't judgmental about choices people make; he gives them a compassionate listening ear. But, he doesn't let people get away with murder.

message 26: by Anita (new)

Anita (anitanodiva) | 1586 comments Kathy Anne wrote: "Anita
I can`t find out when it comes on,would you please give us the day and time-I am guessing it`s on channel 7.Itdid sound like something I would like"

Grantchester is a PBS Masterpiece Mystery series. In LA it is on 2 different stations on different days and times.

message 27: by Kathy Anne (last edited Feb 04, 2015 08:45PM) (new)

Kathy Anne (kathyanne) | 598 comments (lol),I guess I`ll have to come home to watch it then.Thanks Anita-BTW how do you like the Outlander series?

message 28: by Anita (new)

Anita (anitanodiva) | 1586 comments I love it. The books are fantastic, but long. The series is a really true depiction of the books with some changes.

message 29: by Kathy Anne (new)

Kathy Anne (kathyanne) | 598 comments Well the producer said in an interview I read that in a book the author has as many pages as they want to tell the story but a producer only has a brief amount of time to try and get the story across -kind of condense many pages and I think Moore did a great job so far except I didn`t think I got to see and drool over Jamie as much as I would have liked.

message 30: by Dee (new)

Dee Sauter (indeathaddict) | 7583 comments I am absolutely crazy about Outlander. My only complaint is that the season isn't longer.

Anita will I get anything out of Grantchester if I haven't seen it before?

message 31: by Anita (new)

Anita (anitanodiva) | 1586 comments It is a really well constructed mystery. Think Agatha Christie.

message 32: by Dee (new)

Dee Sauter (indeathaddict) | 7583 comments Thanks I will TiVo it.

message 33: by Kathy Anne (last edited Feb 18, 2015 06:57AM) (new)

Kathy Anne (kathyanne) | 598 comments I guess it`s no wonder all my people settled in Sunny Southern California .All 4 of my Grandparents are from Sweden and Denmark and I guess that's the only reason a person like me would watch The Vikings.
I realize that History portrays them as viscious Berzerker types but every show I watch is nothing but fighting-with each other or any body else that happens to be close by-someday I hope to see a show that shows some other history concerning them.

message 34: by Dee (new)

Dee Sauter (indeathaddict) | 7583 comments Don't feel bad Kathy Anne, half my grandparents came from Sicily-they left because my grandfather had gotten into the Mafia and his father didn't like that. The other half came from Norway-those berzerkers again. My mafia grandfather continued in some degree with them in the states. He would hide people in his attic.

message 35: by Dee (new)

Dee Sauter (indeathaddict) | 7583 comments Kathy Anne wrote: "I guess it`s no wonder all my people settled in Sunny Southern California .All 4 of my Grandparents are from Sweden and Denmark and I guess that's the only reason a person like me would watch The ..."

I would have thought your family would have settled in Minnesota or Wisconsin since it is (from what I here) most like the Scandinavian countries.

message 36: by Kathy Anne (new)

Kathy Anne (kathyanne) | 598 comments Yes they did initially go to Minnesota but my Dad was determined to go into business and that led them here which they love.Calif has the ocean and the Mts.(few people ralize this is a state crammed full of very tall mts.Many of them are 10,000 ft or over and that's from sea level!)It would have been way too cold for me for sure up there in the north,it`s cold enough here in the Rockies.

message 37: by Lisa Kay (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 1002 comments I watched one episode of The Viking and stopped; it was too violent for me.

message 38: by Dee (last edited Feb 20, 2015 01:49PM) (new)

Dee Sauter (indeathaddict) | 7583 comments Kathy Anne wrote: "Yes they did initially go to Minnesota but my Dad was determined to go into business and that led them here which they love.Calif has the ocean and the Mts.(few people ralize this is a state cramme..."

My mother who is Norwegian came from a little town in Wisconsin, Blair, and my dad who is Italian came from Pittsburgh, PA. After they married they moved to Arizona because my also wanted to go into business. I wish they would have moved to CA. I love the ocean and even if we didn't live near the Pacific CA is so beautiful!

message 39: by Dee (new)

Dee Sauter (indeathaddict) | 7583 comments Lisa Kay wrote: "I watched one episode of The Viking and stopped; it was too violent for me."

I agree with you about Viking. Actually, I am not one to watch series unless I am able to watch from the beginning. Otherwise I tend to get lost in the series. A couple of times I got the series I missed from the library, then I inundate myself with the show so I burn out.

Because I am such a big fan of Outlander I did watch that one from the beginning, and frankly because I have read the book a few times I could watch the series at any time and easily catch up.

message 40: by Kathy Anne (last edited Feb 20, 2015 09:30PM) (new)

Kathy Anne (kathyanne) | 598 comments I have yet to find a show about Vikings that shows their daily life without any of the ever present violence or acting like the worst kinds of Barbarians.So I have seen all of these episodes and really learned nothing about everyday life in the homes and towns.And then it is always so cold it turns out being quite grim to me.

message 41: by Dee (new)

Dee Sauter (indeathaddict) | 7583 comments I know my roommate TiVo'd a few of the series, and we watched it together. I know I wasn't all that impressed. It seems to me at this stage of my life I don't want to watch a bunch of people trying to kill one another, sort of for kicks and giggles. I understand you doing for protection, but not just to increase your land, and I sure don't like promising someone that they will be safe under a white flag, then turning around and killing them.

message 42: by Kathy Anne (new)

Kathy Anne (kathyanne) | 598 comments Just one more month and Jamie will be back and it`s way past time.I hope we don`t have to do this again and again I`ll be crazy nuts .He is making a movie now with Dr Oz`s daughter-who knew? and Cait is making one with George Cloony.

message 43: by Dee (new)

Dee Sauter (indeathaddict) | 7583 comments I can't wait for Outlander. I got the 20 Anniversary Edition of Outlander and I found it was an abridged version. You lose about 300 or so pages. I liked the book just the way it was. You lose the build up of Claire trying to get back to the stones, or how Gellis tried to drug Claire to find out her origins. That was when i quit. I took the book back and will find a used copy that is intact

message 44: by Lisa Kay (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 1002 comments Why in the world did they do that on an "anniversary" edition? Weird.

message 45: by Dee (new)

Dee Sauter (indeathaddict) | 7583 comments I have no idea, but for once in my life I wrote Random house and told them that i was highly disappointed and I would buy the whole length version used; thus they don't get any royalties.

message 46: by Lisa Kay (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 1002 comments **gigglesnort** Good for you, Dee.

message 47: by Kathy Anne (new)

Kathy Anne (kathyanne) | 598 comments Yes good for ou and do tell if you ever get to find out what devious purpose they had abridging it.I find when I`m reading them that if I miss a sentence in important parts like this it`s a real pain to try to get the story back the right way.Think of the new people how much they will miss.
I just watched J&C on you tube on Twitter,they were having a ball in some of those interviews and are so friendly and at ease with each other it helped some to watch them until next month.

message 48: by Anita (new)

Anita (anitanodiva) | 1586 comments A new series Dig premieres tonight. It is set in Jerusalem and is about archeology and the end times of Revelation. I have had an interest in the Biblical prophecies since high school. Interested to get a secular take on them.

message 49: by Kathy Anne (new)

Kathy Anne (kathyanne) | 598 comments Oh, this sounds really good-what station is it on Anita-Thanks for the info.

message 50: by Anita (new)

Anita (anitanodiva) | 1586 comments Dig is a USA network series. If you have Direct TV it is channel 242.

« previous 1