What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

The Engines of God (The Academy #1)
This topic is about The Engines of God
SOLVED: Adult Fiction > SOLVED. Sci-fi book about alien archaeology [s]

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

I read this book about ten years ago I think, although I couldn't swear to that, nor could I say when it was published. I don't remember it having the feel of classic sci-fi, so my best guess would be the 90's or early aughts.

My memories of it are vague, but I remember it as a story of a male archaeologist who was studying an extinct alien race. They looked like crocodiles or alligators that walked upright. The work was being done on a planet due to be terraformed. I think he pushed hard for an expedition to save whatever they could and made a key discovery just as the terraforming was underway, leading to a race against time to recover an important artifact. There was a female archaeologist as well I think, but I can't remember what their relationship was like.

(view spoiler)

Someone requested books of this nature in another thread and it brought this book to mind, which is now driving me nuts because I can't remember.

MB (What she read) | 136 comments Do any of Jack McDevitt's books look familiar? For some reason your plot description is reminding me of his books.

message 3: by [deleted user] (last edited Jan 21, 2015 08:04AM) (new)

MB wrote: "Do any of Jack McDevitt's books look familiar? For some reason your plot description is reminding me of his books."

Thanks for the suggestion! It's The Engines of God by Jack McDevitt. Thanks for your help.

The Engines of God (The Academy, #1) by Jack McDevitt

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Engines of God (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Jack McDevitt (other topics)