The One (The Selection, #3) The One discussion

what did you think

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Leann Castillo did you guys love it as i did? or hate it?

message 2: by Salome (last edited Jan 20, 2015 10:09AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Salome As a YA romance it was all fine and dandy. But I was very disappointed because as I got halfway through The Elite, I felt the series was taking more of the Dystopian route versus the cookie-cutter romance route. I expected her to get kicked out for one reason or another (king kicks her out or Maxon discovered Aspen) and that she would join the northern rebels. At the end she would convince the rebels to elect Maxon as the first president in their new government. And then they could possibly hint at the two of them renewing their relationship, actually getting to have a REAL dating relationship.

So bottom line... I went into the series expecting cookie-cutter romance and in the end that's what I got. I shouldn't be disappointed, but I was because I really felt this series had a lot more potential.

Sharon I lovedthe book, but it has parts when is very bored and slow. At the beginning i was thinking of not continue with the story, i needed some chapters to really be interested in the story. And I was expecting more from America, maybe more rebellion.

Leann Castillo salome, i totally agree with you ,i was also actually thinking that she would get kicked out and that someone they would get together

message 5: by Brittany (Brittany's Book Rambles) (last edited Jan 21, 2015 10:22AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Brittany (Brittany's Book Rambles) I liked it but I think that it could have been better. I didn't like the wishy-washyness of America and Maxon's relationship. Or Aspen's out-of-nowhere relationship with Lucy. I felt the ending was rushed and overdramatic.

I loved the bonding between America and all of the other girls and it generally ends the way I wanted the trilogy to end but I can't say I was fully satisfied with it.

Kathy Roberts Somewhere around the middle of the second book, this series took a bad turn. Too many elements were introduced that competed for the storyline. It should have stuck with just the main elements of the first book - Bachelor aspect with the class differences and unfortunately the stale YA love triangle. It was not necessary to the action to make the king abusive and corrupt. He could have just been an intense parent pushing his son to succeed (i.e. stage parent type personality). Also, America was one very indecisive and self-doubting girl - which became annoying. I wasn't that invested in the characters or story to need a follow-up book(s). Author should have just thrown it into an epilogue.

Leann Castillo Brittany (Brittany's Book Rambles) wrote: "I liked it but I think that it could have been better. I didn't like the wishy-washyness of America and Maxon's relationship. Or Aspen's out-of-nowhere relationship with Lucy. I felt the ending was..."
i agree i also did feel that the ending was rushed and chaotic ,maybe she was trying to give us a heart attck about what would happen to america since there was literally 30 pages left in the book.

Leann Castillo Kathy wrote: "Somewhere around the middle of the second book, this series took a bad turn. Too many elements were introduced that competed for the storyline. It should have stuck with just the main elements of t..."

YES! towards the end i also found america way to self doubting and i really started to hate that i was like ,gahhhh!!! just make up your mind ,i know you love maxon!and lucy and aspens relationship was like out of now where but it made sense since she was crying when america finally told her family about the past relationship.

Veronica i liked the book. it was an easy read.

Ilana i liked it a lot - and i think that we go to the ending that we were all hoping for. i think that there were bits perhaps that weren't quite so necessary - but that's to be expected i guess...and parts of the story that weren't elaborated on as much as i would have hoped. i'd love to see more on the rebels and their back story. i'm also sad about some of the deaths - i don't know that they were all necessary.

but all in all i think that it was a good finale to the series and a good series in general.

message 11: by evelyn (new)

evelyn Two words my friends:

LOVED IT

Storm Arashi Finished it in one night, it was FANTASTIC.

message 13: by evelyn (new)

evelyn Storm wrote: "Finished it in one night, it was FANTASTIC."

right? haha

Storm Arashi Carly wrote: "Storm wrote: "Finished it in one night, it was FANTASTIC."

right? haha"

I seriously can't wait for The Heir to come out now.

message 15: by Shawna (last edited Feb 15, 2015 02:32AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Shawna Cañizares AWESOME. Cannot wait for The Heir. Even though these series is pissing me I still love it :) Worth it to read and get hungover with.

Laura Salome wrote: "As a YA romance it was all fine and dandy. But I was very disappointed because as I got halfway through The Elite, I felt the series was taking more of the Dystopian route versus the cookie-cutter..."

I agree I kept on thinking it would turn into something more but it never did. I feel like she developed great plot potentials but then didn't go very far with fleshing them out.

I didn't understand why the fact that she was trilingual and could play instruments didn't come into the plot very much in helping set her apart.

Jayne I liked it a lot at the time, but looking back I realzied it had so much potential and hopefully the next book will take advantage of that. They built up this exciting new world with the different rebels and nations and literally just never even used them. Like what was the point of the Southern and Northern Rebels? Why not just have one? Its like Cass wanted us to belive that the book had more potential but in the end was just a roomanc book with a semi-strong but not very idependent heroine.

Donita Chang It was good... but basically ever single page made me freak out, punch somebody, strangle my friend's arm and had a total meltdown from frustration, anger, confusion and major plot twists...

I am a major book fanatic and I can't leave my house without a book in hand. But, it's been 2+ weeks since I've finished it and I don't have the urges to carry around a book. The book literally ruined me for other books and I hate it! But, it was pretty cool since there hasn't been a book to ever do that to me. Minus the frustration of it, the book was pretty good.

Lauryn April I loved this series, but the last book was my least favorite. I was disappointed in the ending. I know a few people mentioned it being rushed and I felt the same way. I felt like there was still so much story to tell. I wish the author would have done one more book, and not killed the king. Then she could have explored America's life as a princess and gone more into the tension between America and the king. She could have explored Kris' relationship with the rebels and we could have seen more of queen Amberly. I just felt like things wrapped up too quickly and too neatly.

Danique I love the series and this was my favorite. I think it's so cute and fluffy and there's just so much happening in this book, it's crazy. Maxon is the cutest.

message 21: by Abi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Abi IT WAS AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I CAN'T WAIT FOR THE HEIR!!!!!!!!!!!!!