Rory Gilmore 52 Book Challenge discussion

Everything Is Illuminated
This topic is about Everything Is Illuminated
Everything is Illuminated > Book 3- Everything Is Illuminated

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jacob (last edited Jan 20, 2015 05:08AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Jacob | 19 comments Mod
This post is coming in a few days late, sorry if this has provided any sort of issues with getting what's next in our list.

This next book we have ahead of us is Everything Is Illuminated by Jonathan Safran Foer. I've searched high and low from the GG wiki to just google, but I can't seem to find where in the show this book first appeared.

I hope everyone enjoys the book, this should be a nice change of pace from the snarky prose of Salinger!

P.S. Please be sure to vote for the books for March, I'm leaving the poll up until about mid-February so that we all have plenty of time to vote!

message 2: by Kayla (new) - added it

Kayla | 4 comments So...it's probably just over my head, but I'm not really enjoying this book very much. It's an odd style of writing.

Jacob | 19 comments Mod
So far I'm finding the modern day story with the broken English to be really funny. Sadly I have just been wanting the older story to end so I can back to the story I'm enjoying.

message 4: by Bea (new) - rated it 3 stars

Bea | 1 comments I really enjoyed Alex's English! I'm afraid brought a little of it into my own mannerisms to the amusement of some and the confusion of others.

I'm not sure if I would have enjoyed this book as much as I did if not for having read both of the Salinger books before hand. However, The amount of tween sex in the old trachimbrod sections rubbed me the wrong way.

I wasn't left with any great insight upon finishing; I didn't feel like anything was more "illuminated" for the reader.

Kelly Perry | 4 comments This has been sort of a slow read for me. I really enjoy Alex's parts so far- I feel like it is a very accurate portrayal of the language barrier! I have a hard time reading any of the in-between chapters by Jonathan, though. I find myself skimming through a lot of it.