The Under-Hyped Readathon! discussion

How's everyone getting on? =)

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Charlotte (new)

Charlotte Jones (ramblingsofanelfpire) | 46 comments Mod
How're you getting on with your TBR/chosen books so far? =)

I read Girl With a White Dog by Anne Booth on Sunday in one sitting before the readathon started because I've got loads of university reading to do but I'm hoping to get to at least one more from my TBR once I've finished Jane Eyre for university (definitely not an underhyped book!)

message 2: by beesp (new)

beesp | 7 comments Read "Sweet Days of Discipline" by Fleur Jaeggy, now a third in "The Sound of Waves" by Yukio Mishima. Only picked up h
short books for this readathon :P

message 3: by Brave (new)

Brave (bravereads) | 5 comments I actually sat and read for awhile today! It was very nice. Started my first actual underhyped book for the read-a-thon! The Rosie Effect by Graeme Simsion, which I received as an ARC and am horribly behind on reading...

message 4: by E (new)

E (fleurinka24) | 7 comments I was supposed to be studying but I didn't... so I read 74 pages of non-fiction book put together by Czech music journalist for 40th anniversary of Glastonbury festival. I also read about 45 pages of John King's Skinheads and listen to 45% of The Assassination of Margaret Thatcher - short stories my Hilary Mantel.
Honestly, I surprised myself of how much I have managed to read, but I'm not surprised at all that I have gone completely of my TBR. It happens to me all the time!

message 5: by Laura (new)

Laura Egan | 2 comments I'm doing not bad finished a book that's been on my TBR that been meaning to read for a long time. I just started my next book on my list TBR list.

message 6: by Maria (new)

Maria Menduni | 2 comments I read "How to be German in 50 easy steps: A guide from Apfelsaftschorle to Tschüss" by Adam Fletcher and I'm starting my next two books this afternoon :)

message 7: by Frances (new)

Frances (nightjar-nal) | 1 comments Finished my first book today! "Mãn" by Kim Thúy. :)

message 8: by Aase Marit (new)

Aase Marit (aasemarit) | 4 comments I'm slowly getting through The Art of Seeing Things, I think I'm on page 120 or something. Yesterday I read Complete Short Fiction for school. Not really underhyped, but it has less than 1000 ratings on here, so I'm counting it! Reading The Narrow Road to the Deep North right now, also for school, but will continue with more underhyped books from my TBR tomorrow!

message 9: by Ashleigh (new)

Ashleigh (ashleighsbookshelf) | 4 comments I've finished my first book of the week - The Loving Spirit! It went remarkably quickly for a 400 page novel. Haven't made my mind up which book to move on to next!

message 10: by Charlotte (new)

I started Cowgirl by G. Gemin and it's okay so far. The colloquial speech is a little off putting at times but it's a quick read.

message 11: by Sue (new)

Sue Moro (moro) | 8 comments I read 144 pages of The Girl From The Well on Monday, and now I'm 50% through a graphic novel called Sheltered: A Pre-Apocalyptic Tale.

message 12: by Nadia (last edited Jan 20, 2015 04:57PM) (new)

Nadia (heartlesstree) | 17 comments I finished Lies We Tell Ourselves by Robin Talley Lies We Tell Ourselves (by Robin Talley) and it was wonderful! I had started it a while ago, but managed to finish it today. It only has 1,323 ratings but I think it deserves many more.

message 13: by A. (new)

A. Musquiz (BooksMusicLife1) | 2 comments I finished my first book Three Rivers Rising by Jame Richards on Monday and I'm now onto my second book The Edge Of Falling by Rebecca Serle! I'm really liking it so far, kind of sad but sweet and a little romantic :)

message 14: by Tara (box5angel) (new)

Tara (box5angel) (bizzeereading) I'm 70% done with Eternal Traces. But I did get a head start though. Hoping to finish in the next two days, so I can start another one.

message 15: by E (new)

E (fleurinka24) | 7 comments I finished listening to The Assassination of Margaret Thatcher (Hilary Mantel) and it was amazing. I still have two other exams this week so I'll probably just start another audiobook.

message 16: by Charlotte (last edited Jan 21, 2015 05:34AM) (new)

I've just finished Cowgirl by G. Gemin and I really enjoyed it actually. It had great messages for children and I loved the themes discussed.

message 17: by Elena (new)

Elena Robertson I've finished the mirror world of melody black which was pretty good and currently a third of the way through a memoir called the undertakers daughter by Kate mayfield which is good so far.

message 18: by Nadia (new)

Nadia (heartlesstree) | 17 comments I'm thinking of starting Tides by Betsy Cornwell Tides by Betsy Cornwell (662 ratings) next.

message 19: by Mel (last edited Jan 21, 2015 09:59AM) (new)

Mel (mehy) I'm reading Like This, For Ever By S J (Sharon) Bolton. It has under 3000 ratings. I'm really enjoying it!!

message 20: by Ashleigh (new)

Ashleigh (ashleighsbookshelf) | 4 comments Finished A Girl Is a Half-formed Thing. Read it in two sittings; last night and this afternoon. Not sure if it was the sort of book that ought to be read that intensely, I'm feeling quite conflicted about it! Definitely a good book & one I would really recommend reading but maybe not for an intense period.

Now starting on If Nobody Speaks of Remarkable Things which so far is a lot lighter and more coherent!

message 21: by Aase Marit (new)

Aase Marit (aasemarit) | 4 comments Read The Blue Fox on the train today, and it is the best read of the year for me so far! Absolutely stunning!

Now I'm reading Disturbing the Peace.

message 22: by Tara (box5angel) (new)

Tara (box5angel) (bizzeereading) I finished Eternal Traces by Shonda Brock . As much as I really liked it and I did order the second book in the series just now, I really want to start another book.

So I'm going to start a new adult book after I finish writing this comment. Three Brothers by Nicole Williams

message 23: by E (new)

E (fleurinka24) | 7 comments So I made myself read the last 70 pages of Lessing's The Cleft and surprisingly it wasn't as bad as the 70 pages before.
I also started another audiobook, Drogon Precint by Keith R.A. DeCandido. It's not a masterpiece but I'm liking it so far so I'll see what I'll think after I finish it.

message 24: by beesp (new)

beesp | 7 comments Good evening everyone!

This morning I finished reading "Kassandra" by Christa Wolf. I had actually already read this book, but I took this opportunity to read it again.
I also managed to read "The Sound of Waves" by Yukio Mishima and "Sweet Days Of Discipline" by Fleur Jaeggy. Except for "Kassandra", I wasn't that satisfied with the books. But ehi, as long as I read... :) good reads to everyone!

message 25: by Tara (box5angel) (last edited Jan 22, 2015 04:05PM) (new)

Tara (box5angel) (bizzeereading) I finished my second book, Three Brothers by Nicole Williams. It was so very good.

I'm starting my third book, The Tempted (Rogues of Scotland, #3) by Donna Grant in a little while. I'm going to take a break, do some other things and then get back to reading. :-)

message 26: by Nadia (new)

Nadia (heartlesstree) | 17 comments Started Fall for Anything by Courtney Summers Fall for Anything by Courtney Summers.

message 27: by Brave (new)

Brave (bravereads) | 5 comments So far, I've been able to read 3 books (albeit two were short ones [one was even a children's chapter book] and the other I had already started) while doing all of the work imaginable for school.

I've read these:
My Father's Dragon (My Father's Dragon, #1) by Ruth Stiles Gannett The Strange Library by Haruki Murakami The Rosie Effect (Don Tillman #2) by Graeme Simsion

message 28: by beesp (new)

beesp | 7 comments I consider this readathon finished for me XD.
I didn't read as much as I had wanted, but I still did pretty good.
Sweet Days of Discipline  by Fleur Jaeggy
The Sound of Waves by Yukio Mishima
Kassandra by Christa Wolf
Il concetto di Dio dopo Auschwitz Una voce ebraica  by Hans Jonas
Coup de Grace by Marguerite Yourcenar
Le Transperceneige Intégrale by Jacques Lob

They were all short books. One of theme was a philosophical essay. I'm really happy with how I did. (Also because yesterday I didn't read at all and I only read about 120 pages of "Snowpiercer" today - which is a graphic novel - and I still managed to read 6 books.
So yeah \o/ I hope everyone else has had a nice experience and some good books to read.
Have a nice Monday!