10,000 Words discussion

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Emilee (new)

Emilee Mcelroy | 20 comments Mod
Anyone have any suggestions? Read anything fantastic lately or have a book on your list for 2015?

message 2: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl Lee | 4 comments More serious: Unbroken, now a movie. True story based on life of Louis Zamparini! He was an Olympic athlete and a POW in WW2. Inspirational!

message 3: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten Grier | 8 comments Unbroken was so good!! I just finished reading a book called The Secret Wisdom of the Earth which I won on here as a giveaway and it was very good. These next few books are at the top of my To Read list" Girl on the Train, The Rosie Project, All the Light We Cannot See, The Storied Life of AJ Fikry, The Last Time We Say Goodbye and Outlander. I have so many on my To Read list, I can never decide what to read next. Did you all read Wonder? It's YA but very good.

message 4: by Emilee (new)

I like the idea of something slightly more serious. Unbroken was on my to-read list. I've also heard great things about Still Alice and I never got around to reading Gone Girl, either.

message 5: by Kirsten (last edited Jan 20, 2015 11:12AM) (new)

Kirsten Grier | 8 comments I haven't read Still Alice either but have read another book by Lisa Genova called Left Neglected and it was very good. Still Alice is on my list too! Should we pick that one? If a lot of people haven't read Unbroken you should pick that one, it is a must read

message 6: by Emilee (new)

Let's leave it open a few more days (Sunday night, maybe?) to give everyone a chance to add in their favorites. Then we can narrow down a selection. Thanks guys!

message 7: by Meg (new)

Meg | 3 comments I have already read this book, but would love to read it again: Me Before You by JoJo Moyes. It's being made into a movie this year, and it's a beautiful, happy, sad, heartbreaking novel that I could not put down. HIGHLY recommend, even if it's not chosen as the next book.

message 8: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl Lee | 4 comments Already read GoneGirl, and all of Gillian Flynn's books, which are also in production for movies. Very good. I've read them twice! The Girl on the Train is also on my to read list, as well as Still Alice. You're Not You, which is also a movie, is very good and touches on end of life choices, as a main character has ALS, and is cared for by a non-medically trained college student.

message 9: by Karen (new)

Karen Szakelyhidi | 3 comments I've already read it but Bright Side by Kim Holden is an awesome book even though I ugly cried thru most of it it's a beautiful book, or her other book All Of It (I haven't read it yet) but heard it's just as good.

message 10: by Karen (new)

Karen Szakelyhidi | 3 comments Or if you want another Colleen Hoover book Maybe Someday is excellent too and never asked her this but I think Ridge the main character is Scott Avett they way she describes Ridge when he's playing his guitar is so Scott!!

message 11: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl Lee | 4 comments Well, just started reading Still Alice bc I bought it for Xmas, and although I have to work all night, I don't want to stop reading...

message 12: by Emily (new)

Emily H. (emilyhatc1) | 1 comments I'm trying to read Outlander right now, but haven't gotten into it yet. The Rosie Project is on my list, for sure. Sounds like quite a few want to read Still Alice?

message 13: by Emilee (new)

Looks like Still Alice might be a good choice. Unbroken, as well? Or have a lot of people already read it. And Bright Side. Let's look in to these and decide on Sunday. Keep adding suggestions as well.

message 14: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten Grier | 8 comments I would love to read Still Alice.
I just started All The Light We Cannot See last night which is long (just over 500 pages) and supposed to be very good.

message 15: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl Lee | 4 comments Finished Still Alice today (I read ALOT), so I've read both Unbroken and SA recently and could discuss both.

message 16: by Emilee (new)

Just from looking over the comments, it appears Still Alice would be a good choice for book #2. As long as that sounds good to everyone, it sounds good to me! I'll give everyone a few weeks to get the book and get started, then we'll open up a discussion. Feel free to post in the discussion and add your own topics as we go. Thanks guys!

message 17: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten Grier | 8 comments Sounds great, thanks for organizing!

message 18: by Meg (new)

Meg | 3 comments Just started the audio book for Still Alice last night - can't wait!

message 19: by Katy (new)

Katy | 4 comments Mod
I'm late to the party, but I'm all in with your selection. Gotta get it today!